What camera problem?

hydro556

Reaction score
I assure you this isn't my hat, my brother's over watching the Raven's get stomped and I snagged it off him to take a picture for a test. My pictures seem fine, this is low light inside:

View attachment 44181

Thanks for saving me the time. That is pretty much on par with what I getting, and what I consider a very nice pic from a camera phone.

I blew it up and it still looks fine to me, given the subject matter and setting.

That works great for my purposes.

kaboyd

Reaction score
These camera issues baffle me. I am very impressed with my Nexus overall, but one of its best features to me IS the camera.

I am no pro photog, but I do have a Nikon D90, and know what good pics look like. I love the camera, not just its speed, but the quality of the shots. I wasnt expecting the best camera in the world, being a phone and all, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I get very fast focus lock, and then a great pic 90% of the time. I can make it blur if I want to, but it is easy to get great shots, IMO, pretty easily.

I either got a great one from the factory, or you got a dud. I had an OG Droid, and an Incredible each for a long time, and a Bionic for ~2 weeks. The GNex is easily the best camera of the bunch. I dont expect D90 quality shots, but I do get shots on par with an average P&S camera, so no way I can complain about it. IT is a plus on my GNex, not a minus.

+ 1...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

mikekon

Reaction score
Here's a picture I took with my nexus. This picture was taken without a flash, -1 exposure, and incandescent setting.

I am your average photo taker and I think this is a pretty nice pic. I think the nexus takes good pictures over all.

Take a look and see for yourself.

Edit: uploading compresses the picture and degrades the quality somewhat.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I will say though, I do like the results when using the built in effects, like the cross-processing. Really livens the pics up. Without any editing afterwards, the pictures are really poor. I've yet to see any pics from a Nexus that make me say 'wow'. They're all kind of blah. It seems like Gizmodo gave the most accurate camera review/comparison between all the current smart phones.

Here's a few edited pics that I actually liked

6529371635_8d23ff0c92_o.jpg

6529360895_f9e5de2ee4_b.jpg

6529369597_4af1af790c_b.jpg

6535191151_0df05bbe25_b.jpg

6535138855_7259e895fc_b.jpg

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I figured since i complained about the quality of the camera I would at least give it props on daytime photosView attachment 44273

and for the other poster that said that hat wasn't his... that is most definitely my key chain!

kimintenn

Reaction score
I agree, the edited pictures above are nice! And the daytime shot of the keychain is great too... was that outside or inside?

I took several more pictures today and outside the camera does a pretty good job! But inside, taking pictures of things other than inanimate objects, it is just awful. Blurry, red eye etc.

I love pretty much everything else about the phone and am trying my best to find the camera acceptable, but at this point it's not looking good.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I agree, the edited pictures above are nice! And the daytime shot of the keychain is great too... was that outside or inside?

I took several more pictures today and outside the camera does a pretty good job! But inside, taking pictures of things other than inanimate objects, it is just awful. Blurry, red eye etc.

I love pretty much everything else about the phone and am trying my best to find the camera acceptable, but at this point it's not looking good.

it was outside but i was sitting in my car.. here is one more.View attachment 44276

kimintenn

Reaction score
Two random pictures... the corn picture was taken outside and the colors all look great! (although a tiny bit brighter than they are in real life).

The other picture of the junk in front of my Christmas tree right now is an indoor shot I took and you can see that it's ok, but not nice and crisp like the outdoors picture.

speedyroo

Reaction score
I have horses and when I try to take pictures of them - and most of the time theyre not standing still - they end up blurry.

oddllama

Reaction score
Just realized that is not a fair comparison. I shot the moth outside on an overcast day. The nexus shot was done while I was smashing the shutter as fast I could (had to test it!) in a bedroom at night. I'll have to take another test shot tomorrow.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have horses and when I try to take pictures of them - and most of the time theyre not standing still - they end up blurry.

This will happen with most cameras that don't have a very high end/fast shutter speed.

If at the beginning of the exposure, the thing you're trying to take a picture of is on the right hand side of the field of view and is moving to the left, the light the object emits will initially be showing photons on the right hand side. But as the object moves, photons will begin shooting themselves towards the left hand side. That is what creates a blurry image.

Since the Nexus shoots the best images when you use tap to focus, it will have a difficult time catching moving objects unless you're able to touch to focus on the object and take the picture at nearly the same time. Since this is often cumbersome because you're having to hold the camera while touching to focus and touching to take the picture, you can see why it may result in blurry photos.

Once you're better at utilizing the tools of the camera, you should get better images. Another idea is to take 1080p video of the action and then you can take a still photo from the video.