Welcome to the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL Forum!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Looks like pretty respectable battery life @pc747.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
7 hours left on 29 percent???? personally I would not trust it. I don't like my phone to have less than 50 percent especially if I would not have access to a charger for a few hours.
That was where I was at before I finally got it on the charger. And I used the heck out of that phone for work sending pictures, emails, and just using it all day. I started my morning at around 2am and from the moment I took it off charge I was listening to the Bible on audible on my way to work. Got to work early thanks to light traffic so I watched several YouTube videos. Then put in about 14-15 hours at work and that is when I'm texting back and forth to clients as well as getting important info including photos. Get off work to go to Wal-Mart to pick up some frozen food and yogurt. And during that period was surfing the web including when I got in one of those long Walmart lines. Afterwards went by AutoZone to get some car stuff. Went home and just caught up with folks (parents and grandparents via phone).

My Nexus 6p would have been dead or I would have had to bump charge it twice to get the kind of usage I got out of the 2XL. To be able to start a long day and not even concern myself with how I use my phone or if I'm going to be near a charger is just a relief. I'm not having to go into battery saving mode of anything.

As far as 29 percent lasting 7 more hours, it may not go 7 but I would definitely trust it for another 4-5. Oreo is the biggest improvement to battery life for Android since jelly Bean.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...Oreo is the biggest improvement to battery life for Android since jelly Bean.

That's good to hear, because Nougat for me (and 3 other phones in my home) has been worse than Marshmallow as far as battery life goes. Android OS and Android System are always on the top of the list; so it would be good to see some battery life improvements with Oreo.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's good to hear, because Nougat for me (and 3 other phones in my home) has been worse than Marshmallow as far as battery life goes. Android OS and Android System are always on the top of the list; so it would be good to see some battery life improvements with Oreo.

Agree.

I know a few others who updated their phone to Nougat when the 6P updated to it and they were asking if it was just them or did battery life suck more.

I tried to look at the positives of nougat, which it did have, but the battery life was not one of them. Now the software (nougat) was smoother than marshmallow as it fixed some bugs.

If you are enjoying awesome battery life now on the Moto Z2 phones then you should be even happier with Oreo, especially if Moto continue the trend of keeping the phones basically stock android.

But I open this up to debate with other Oreo users (@bkdodger)

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
S8+ was solid battery wise on Nougat ... Pixel XL is great with battery I'm not sure how much Oreo has improved it but I'm very happy ..it still comes down to how you use the phone and area reception..bc Oreo can't help if you are in bad areas ..

Pixel 2 XL

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
That was where I was at before I finally got it on the charger. And I used the heck out of that phone for work sending pictures, emails, and just using it all day. I started my morning at around 2am and from the moment I took it off charge I was listening to the Bible on audible on my way to work. Got to work early thanks to light traffic so I watched several YouTube videos. Then put in about 14-15 hours at work and that is when I'm texting back and forth to clients as well as getting important info including photos. Get off work to go to Wal-Mart to pick up some frozen food and yogurt. And during that period was surfing the web including when I got in one of those long Walmart lines. Afterwards went by AutoZone to get some car stuff. Went home and just caught up with folks (parents and grandparents via phone).

My Nexus 6p would have been dead or I would have had to bump charge it twice to get the kind of usage I got out of the 2XL. To be able to start a long day and not even concern myself with how I use my phone or if I'm going to be near a charger is just a relief. I'm not having to go into battery saving mode of anything.

As far as 29 percent lasting 7 more hours, it may not go 7 but I would definitely trust it for another 4-5. Oreo is the biggest improvement to battery life for Android since jelly Bean.

well if you know it will last at least 4-5 hours more then that is great :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Agree.

I know a few others who updated their phone to Nougat when the 6P updated to it and they were asking if it was just them or did battery life suck more.

I tried to look at the positives of nougat, which it did have, but the battery life was not one of them. Now the software (nougat) was smoother than marshmallow as it fixed some bugs.

If you are enjoying awesome battery life now on the Moto Z2 phones then you should be even happier with Oreo, especially if Moto continue the trend of keeping the phones basically stock android.

But I open this up to debate with other Oreo users (@bkdodger)

I didn't mean to come across as overly negative about Nougat. I really like the improvements Google made with Nougat 7.1.1; that's what 7.0 should have been from the start. My phone runs smooth on 7.1.1 and I like this Android version. I'm just not seeing any improvements in battery life compared to MM. My battery life actually decreased; mainly due to Android related stuff. Anything Google can do to give us even better battery nlife with Oreo is a good thing, IMHO.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wasn't seeing it as negative or trying to be like "oh nougat just sucks". I was pointing out that I felt that nougat's strength was mainly the much needed software improvements over MM, and Oreo continued that and as a result we are seeing battery improvements. And that is because they are fixing how your phone sleeps as well as dealing with those apps that are killing your battery from the background.

So basically I'm giving kudos that Google is fixing things with each update by addressing the little things making each update feel like a step forward. So about time you get to Oreo you feel like a major step was taken when compared to MM and previous software. But that was because Google kept building all the way from Lollipop with material design and just kept improving here and there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
when my phone was upgraded to nougat, other than one instance where the phone almost burned up, it actually helped me with my battery usage.

as far as the phone almost burning up, it just got way overheated a couple of days after the update and froze the phone. thought I lost it. took almost 30 minutes to get it restarted but after deleting cache never had that problem again.

I think google has done a good job with the os too. unfortunately their good work sometimes get compromise with the bloatware added by the phones manufacturer and the service provider. this is where phones like the pixel have the advantage.