Welcome to the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL Forum!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I got the phone setting up now while I’m working ... I did notice that blue peeps talking about when you angle away from phone but it’s non Issue and looks to be intended by Google ...vivid mode doesn’t change the screen and phone looks better without adaptive display ...

Sent using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Couldn't resist so I went back to Verizon to play with the one they had on display. I went at a great time because the store was empty so I had time to play around with the display brightness.

Yeah the blue tint was there but you have to look at it at an angle and like most people have already pointed out we rarely look at our phones that way. If this was a tablet, flat panel TV, or computer then it would be a deal breaker. But for a phone, meh.

As far as the display it doesn't have the pop as the Samsung panels but it's not like it's horrible. It just looks different and it's apparent that difference is software related, which means it can be fixed with a software update to allow toggling on and off.

Personally I'm staying with the 2xl as I just didn't see enough to warrant switching to the standard pixel. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have reviewers to point out the negatives that way buyers know what they are getting into. For some I could see this as the deciding factor if they were putting this against another device (ie note 8).

Anyone on the fence I would suggest going to Verizon and checking it out yourselves. 900+ is a lot of money to be throwing on the counter for doubts. If it is bothersome to you at least you know now and will have time to change your orders.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

stevejluke

Reaction score
Anyone else here have a Pixel 2XL? I have one on Project Fi and I am having a couple of issues:

1) Many times, when I turn off the display or the screen goes to sleep, the screen flashes very bright white for a brief moment.

2) I can't get the latest update. It shipped with the Sept. 5 update, and I can't get to the Oct. 5th update (over a week trying). I chatted with support but they blamed the carrier (and seemed to ignore my repeated mention that the carrier was Google, so G controlled everything)

Anyone else stuck on nearly 2mo old security patch? Any ideas on how to keep the screen from flashing?

Re: Other screen issues - I don't mind the less-vibrant screen, it is really only noticeable showing it next to other displays. The blueness when viewed on an angle is a non-issue. I do have burn-in, it is worse than my 1yr old Pixel XL (which did have some) and older Nexus 5x, but still isn't bad enough to notice when not looking for it.

More experience: Strangely, the whole squeeze-for-assistant thing was a non-feature on paper, but I love it in practice, I was never very keen on the OK Google thing, but with squeeze I find myself using the assistant much more often.

I am debating returning it though. The above two issues would be the primary reasons for the returns, and if I ever see the burn in when not trying to see it would also cause a return.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have the September 5 update, you can quit looking for new ones. That's the latest release for the time being. Unless of course you sign up for the Beta program and grab the Developers Preview.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm not having any issues with the beta if y'all interested might not be a bad thing but if not I'm sure it's updating soon..

Do you have AOD on? I don't ever see any screen flicker.. And fortunately no burn in yet.. I do have immersive mode and on 8.1 the nav keys dim

Sent using Tapatalk

stevejluke

Reaction score
If you have the September 5 update, you can quit looking for new ones. That's the latest release for the time being.

Really? My Pixel XL and 5x both have Security Patch Level: Oct. 5. I don't think I am in the beta program, but if I were would it be device dependent?

stevejluke

Reaction score
I'm sure it's updating soon..
. I hope, but don't trust. My co worker has a 6P on Fi which was stuck on Pre-Oreo until last week when he switched to a different carrier's Sim card and immediately got 8.0. I'm worried same here.

Do you have AOD on? I don't ever see any screen flicker..
AOD on sometimes, off usually. The flicker happens either way when I press the power button, but seems to only flash without interaction when AOD is on.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nexus 6p bossing on 8.1.
556b9631cfb5953582979fee81e39018.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Had some time to look and spend in Best Buy with the Pixel 2XL. With the 18:9 screen it's slightly taller than my Nexus 6, and noticably narrower. Set at same brightness level and font size (for these vintage eyes ) I love the way it sets up.

The screen is whiter, though I noticed the off angle blue. Not a deal breaker. Love the colors displayed. IMHO, they just look truer. Smooth moving through various sites, and the pages set up the same as my Nexus 6. Love the feel in my hand and the texture of the rear cover. Though I will have a TPU case on it.

Not due to ship til the 13th. Looking forward to it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess lawyers gotta eat too?? :rolleyes:
great american pasttime - lawsuits
I was reading comments along those same lines somewhere else wanting a lawsuit to force Google to change the screens on the 2XL.

If it was an issue where the phone was malfunctioning and burning down people's houses then yeah lawyer up. But because you don't like the screen quality, yeah that's not lawyer time. What you do there is what I did with last year's pixel, you don't buy it or return it and wait for the device you want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The battery life on this phone though.

619c6a9df1d3db21288f19907aabe34c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
7 hours left on 29 percent???? personally I would not trust it. I don't like my phone to have less than 50 percent especially if I would not have access to a charger for a few hours.