Weird Mic Problem?

CharlieDog

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything pertaining to this particular problem, but I'm not going to lie and say I went beyond the first few pages and a short search...

Anyway, my phone has been doing this for awhile now, and I'm getting pretty fed up with it..

It happens both when I've dialed out, and when I'm receiving a call. I can talk for anywhere from a few seconds to around two minutes and then the person on the other end can't hear me at all. I've tried seeing if it's because the screen comes back up, even when I don't take the phone away from my face and I'm hitting the mute button, but even though that HAS happened, it doesn't happen every time.

I've also tried taking it away from my face and putting it on speaker phone to see if they can hear me, but that doesn't work all the time either. I can always hear the other person just fine, and when they can hear me, the quality is fine, its just sometimes it sounds to them like I've hung the phone up.

Also, the screen will blank out and come back over and over again sometimes, even when I'm holding the phone to my face, and my ear is covering the sensor.

Any ideas?

jimnutt

Reaction score
Are you possibly putting your finger over the noise cancellation microphone? It's easy to do. The microphone opening is a tiny little hole on the top rear of the droid just to the right of the headphone jack, it looks like a little dimple. Covering that can cause odd sound issues.

OP
CharlieDog

CharlieDog

Reaction score
No, because when the mic issues start happening, I pull the phone away from my face and just try to speak directly into the mic, while holding it at an angle. My fingers are on the side of the Droid, not the top.

Should I just take the phone in, and see if they'll exchange it?

roxybella23

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same issue. Many people say they can't understand me and it is so frustrating, I don't know if I should exchange it or not.

Redman3712

Reaction score
mic problems among others

I have only had my droid for 3 months, people always say they cannot hear me or we will be talking and all the sudden they cannot hear me at all but I can hear them fine, I noticed that that always happens if I tilt my head to rest the phone on my shoulder and it happens while just using it upright. The screen is fine. I do not have a pinhole by the mic jack but I do on the front by the verizon logo. Also my phone takes oics whenever it wants and runs apps even with a lock code. This phone drives me CRAZY! I bought two and have a two year contract I am stuck with...ugh!!!!!

OP
CharlieDog

CharlieDog

Reaction score
Well, I see the dimple on the back by the jack. I experimented by covering it while I was talking in the phone, and the person could still hear me. This is an intermittent problem and I think I'm going to go to the Verizon store to see if I can get it figured out.

SlickMcVega

Reaction score
Won't help. bought my droid about a week ago and when I have only one signal bar everyone says my voice sounds like I am covering my mouth. Verizon couldn't replicate it so they basically said tough luck. Thx verizon

jpcollins909

Reaction score
I too find I am constantly repeating myself. My wife says I sound muffled and cuts out quite a bit. VZW could not replicate the problem, so no fix yet. They did tell me to dial *** Send after I hangup from a phonecall I was having trouble with. It marks the call in my log so they can see it.

Nancylikes

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Seems as though the mic is too close to the screen?

Fallguy

Reaction score
People say it sounds like I have a sock over the phone. I took my first one back because of the problem and was told, “there is a problem they are having and there should be a software update down loaded to all the phones shortly to fix the problem” I couldn’t wait any longer and insisted they switch out my phone. They said that I may get one with the same issue. I ask them if they were telling every customer that they may be buying a phone that people won’t understand them on. They switched out my phone and this one has the same issue. I use it for business. My El’cheepo phone sounded better. I will not recommend the Droid to anyone if they can’t fix mine!

spiderzmobile

Reaction score
Of course

When I went to the Verizon store I could not get the phone problem to duplicate. damn..., have keep on the look out for it, if and when it happens :-|

shp18whl

Reaction score
Sounding like *trash*

I'm having this issue with my phone during calls, people say I sound like im in a garbage can trying to get out ,, Is there anything I can do to remedy this problem ,

LawrenceCooper

Reaction score
Droid 2 has the same problem

Sounds like a major probolem affecting Android -- my Droid 2 has the same problem. If you can't get Verizon to take back the phone (you can return it for any reason within the first 30 days), talk with Motorola. They told me they would fix or replace. In my case Verizon is sending me a new phone.

shp18whl

Reaction score
It is fixed dancedroid The tech support guy the other day was so helpful, I explained that my phone was experincing weird sound problems ,And other people say I sounded as if I was @ the bottom of garbage can. He first asked if I had a cover or a case on my phone ,, I told him ever since I got my phone it has had a case on it to protect it. He then asked if we could do a experiment with my phone, and I said sure if its going to fix my phone Ok take the case off of the phone completely. he says look @ the back of the phone towards the top right of the camera, There is a small hole that has been covered up by your case. So he asked if we could hang up ,and he called me back to check the phone quality ,,to my amazement it worked great ,,I then told him I want the case on the phone, So he says drill a small hole thru your case where the hole is,, It work perfectly, That I wasnt very happy to learn this about my Moto Droid,, He says(I will credit your account for $100.00 for the trouble I have had ,,, Thanks tech support ,,,