Webtop 3.0

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I think it sucks.
The desktop-ish environment was such a productivity booster and a much more useable environment!
Firefox was compatible with, and functioned correctly on, nearly every website. Conversely, Chrome beta and the stock browser can barely handle any website more than a couple of years old.
The windowed environment made multitasking amazing! Moving information from a text message to a webpage, from a webpage to an email, or any combination I could think of was easy just because I could have multiple windows open at once on the same screen.

Furthermore, the android 4.0 environment is designed around a touch interface, not mouse and keyboard, so I find myself having to constantly move the cursor from corner to opposite corner to interact with the UI.

The lapdock/webtop used to have a lot of the functionality of a PC, but with 3.0 it's all gone! The PC functionality is what really made it appealing and useable.

I really wish they had just improved upon the ubuntu desktop interface instead of turning it into a crippled ICS tablet! I am considering switching back to GB just because of how unusable the lapdock is now that I have ICS.

How has your experience with the lapdock and webtop 3.0 been? Maybe someone out there has a suggestion or tips and tricks for how to make this thing functional again?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Reaction score
Your comments are interesting.

I moved from Eclipse to the ICS leak specifically for the new webtop features, but after using it a bit, I agree with your characterization. I keep wanting to touch the screen to do things, and using the track pad is not a good substitute. If it supported multitouch really well, it might be different. But, right now, my lapdock is gathering dust.

hoghunter

Reaction score
wow...I love my lapdock....but that sounds terriable...was hopeing it was gonna improve a few things...

whomhead

Reaction score
I think Webtop 3 is far superior to the previous version. I couldn't use Firefox for more than 30 minutes before I'd start getting memory errors and I hated the fact that I couldn't run apps natively.

My only complaint now is the trackpad. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't support two finger or edge scrolling. When I use it at work however, I attach a wireless mouse and the experience is great.

jayman350

Reaction score
I have had the lapdock 500 for a while now, up until the ICS leak I barely touched the thing. It was just too slow, laggy, and prone to the memory issues for it to actually be usable. After the 3.0 update I feel that it is overall a much smoother, easier device to work with. I haven't used it extensively or anything, just popped the phone in to see how the update changed things. However, now being on 3.0 I find myself wanting to use the lapdock more than before.

I understand your criticism for the update, and agree with some aspects of it. I think overall it has made it more useable than it previously was.

oh, and the lapdock 500 supports multi-touch and actually does a pretty good job with it. I am constantly using the two finger scrolling to navigate around.

DoctorV

Reaction score
Hi I have a dumb question. Is Webtop 3.0 part of the ICS update?

landon418

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Someday mabye someone will port the old webtop 2.0 over to ics ;(. I would do it if it was deodexed! :mad:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am not a big fan of the 3.0 either . hoping for full scale ubuntu .. that would be nice .

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Personally I'm loving Webtop 3.0. I like the fact that it leverages tablet mode versions of apps that already exist, for example the tablet-mode Netflix app which makes much better use of the larger screen compared to the phone-mode app. Also the version of Firefox in the previous Webtop never worked properly for me, it was always failing to load images correctly and running out of memory. For me, Webtop 3.0 and Chrome have made Webtop much more useable. It will be even better when the bug with the stock launcher is fixed, so we can have different home screens for Webtop and install tablet-style widgets.

One tip I would mention, is if you hook up a mouse with a scroll-wheel, the weel can be used to navigate between home screens.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I really enjoy the lapdock, I just haven't had much of a use for it.. yet.
It'll get a good workout when I take a 3 day whirlwind trip east in September.. until then it's pretty much on my shelf unless I remember to take it out to a Tim Horton's or someplace similar.

OP
B

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
whomhead said:
I think Webtop 3 is far superior to the previous version. I couldn't use Firefox for more than 30 minutes before I'd start getting memory errors and I hated the fact that I couldn't run apps natively.

My only complaint now is the trackpad. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't support two finger or edge scrolling. When I use it at work however, I attach a wireless mouse and the experience is great.

I've been thinking about it and I think using an external mouse might make the experience a lot better... the track pad just doesn't cut it with the new webtop

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums