webtop 3.0 on razr ICS leak is insane!!!!

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
I wouldn't call it pointless, especially with the switch to making it an Android tablet interface. I actually do a lot of work on my Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock, and this will provide people with a similar experience. The downside in that comparison is that none of the lapdocks so far have a touch screen to go along with the keyboard. A big plus is that you're able to use your phone's data connection directly without having to worry about tethering. I think there's a lot of potential here, and Motorola is definitely heading in the right direction with the changes in Webtop 3.0.

What do you mean by using phone data connection directly?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
What do you mean by using phone data connection directly?

Since the entire system runs from the phone, when the lapdock is up and running, you're using your data connection from the phone to connect to the internet (for 3G/4G as well as WiFi) without needing to enable tethering of some sort. So you essentially have an Android netbook that natively has a cellular data connection. With my TF300, if I want internet when I don't have WiFi around, I have to tether to my phone. The lapdock doesn't need to tether since it's already running off the phone and the phone is connected to the internet. So you can have basic laptop functionality with cellular data without having to pay for the hotspot feature from Verizon or without violating your terms of service to tether with a third-party app. For many people, that provides a nice, and very useful, scenario.

Even though I really don't need it with my TF300, I might see if I can find an inexpensive Lapdock 500. It would be nice to have the functionality of my docked TF300 with direct cellular data and the ability to read/respond to text messages and answer/make calls directly on the lapdock while I'm working. I can see the text messaging being particularly useful while "taking notes" in a meeting. :biggrin:

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Since the entire system runs from the phone, when the lapdock is up and running, you're using your data connection from the phone to connect to the internet (for 3G/4G as well as WiFi) without needing to enable tethering of some sort. So you essentially have an Android netbook that natively has a cellular data connection. With my TF300, if I want internet when I don't have WiFi around, I have to tether to my phone. The lapdock doesn't need to tether since it's already running off the phone and the phone is connected to the internet. So you can have basic laptop functionality with cellular data without having to pay for the hotspot feature from Verizon or without violating your terms of service to tether with a third-party app. For many people, that provides a nice, and very useful, scenario.

Even though I really don't need it with my TF300, I might see if I can find an inexpensive Lapdock 500. It would be nice to have the functionality of my docked TF300 with direct cellular data and the ability to read/respond to text messages and answer/make calls directly on the lapdock while I'm working. I can see the text messaging being particularly useful while "taking notes" in a meeting. :biggrin:

I thought maybe you were referring to some kind of special function. Seeing that the dock has no brain I figure that was a given. Please don't take me as a smart ass for that comment though. I can see the advantages if you can somehow use normal windows programs like word or something while not being interrupted by calls or text msg. Most people though, not all, have computers. I'll keep an open mind about it though seems cool.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I thought maybe you were referring to some kind of special function. Seeing that the dock has no brain I figure that was a given. Please don't take me as a smart ass for that comment though. I can see the advantages if you can somehow use normal windows programs like word or something while not being interrupted by calls or text msg. Most people though, not all, have computers. I'll keep an open mind about it though seems cool.

No worries. :) I'd be far more skeptical of its usefulness if it wasn't for the fact that I've had the Asus Transformer, Transformer Prime, and now the Transformer TF300, each with the keyboard dock.

It really just all depends on what a person wants/needs. In addition to my desktop computer, I have a beastly ThinkPad W520. It's fantastic, but there are times when I don't need the power and options it offers (or times when I just don't want to carry it around). In those situations, my docked TF300 is perfect. It's small, thin, and lightweight, but yet I can get all of my basic tasks done with it easily - taking notes, typing papers and reports (I can use any of the half dozen Office-like apps I have like Polaris Office or Google Docs), checking email, browsing the web, watching videos, listening to music, etc. And I can do all of that with a device that has fantastic battery life. I see the lapdock as a similar device. It's not a laptop replacement, but there are certainly a wide range of situations where it might be preferable, especially if a person has a larger, heavier laptop like I do. And I do really like the fact that you've got cellular data and the ability to use the phone while connected. If it wasn't for the fact that I use the undocked tablet quite often, I'd strongly consider selling my TF300 and buying a lapdock. With the ICS update, I'd have all of the functionality that I get out of the docked TF300 and then some (minus the touchscreen).

What I would absolutely love to see from Motorola is a PadFone-like tablet that Webtop phones can be docked in plus a Transformer-style keyboard dock for the tablet. I know Asus plans to have a keyboard dock option for the PadFone tablet, but I'd be in heaven if Motorola did the same.

Last edited:

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

I use Word, Excel & Power Point all the time on my Phone/Lapdock... all you need is Docs to Go, Quick Office or switch to Google Docs.
My business is a one man show so I can do this without being bogged down by corporate restrictions.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

I have both the 10" and 14" versions of the lapdock. Let me tell you, these things are handy handy devices. Using Google Docs/Drive, you have a full suite of Office apps for productivity. My wife plays online games on the 10" and enjoys the experience much more than when she's limited to the 4.3" Razr screen. I am looking into using Citrix to use my work laptop from home. The possibilities are limitless, and with Cloud storage these types of devices are becoming more and more useful

Eventually you'll see the value, but this is really the future of computing................

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the 3.0 is actually a tablet os the apps from the play store detect the lapdock as tablet smart move moto changing it into a tablet variation they could go far with this if they keep going in the tablet direction with some added features

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
LoneWolfArcher said:
I have both the 10" and 14" versions of the lapdock. Let me tell you, these things are handy handy devices. Using Google Docs/Drive, you have a full suite of Office apps for productivity. My wife plays online games on the 10" and enjoys the experience much more than when she's limited to the 4.3" Razr screen. I am looking into using Citrix to use my work laptop from home. The possibilities are limitless, and with Cloud storage these types of devices are becoming more and more useful

Eventually you'll see the value, but this is really the future of computing................

Forgot about drive that may actually work.