Wanted to say Hi, and Thanks!

Techenigma

Reaction score
Well I became a Droid owner back on November 3rd. The same day my company sent me to Utah to open some new locations. Fortunately unlike California (home) the VZW stores are only required to charge tax on the paid amount of the phone, not the full retail price. So I made sure to buy it out there.

I bought the Droid because I despise AT&T, and I don't like supporting Apple and their insistence on locking down every single thing they make to the point that basic customization is restricted.

I formerly had a Moto Razr, Samsung (idk...), LG 8550 (Chocolate 2), and then the Droid. Been into modifying phones ever since my first one - using Bitpim, and reading a lot.

Its nice to have this massive community already dedicated to making the most of these great smartphones. Not just that but the entire Android community in general. I'm already rooted, busyboxed, custom notification bar, bootanimation, and I'm working on a few other things.

p.s - Thanks to Google for such a great system, and for not being as proprietary as the Cupertino's... :motdroidvert:

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
:icon_ banana: Welcome Techenigma to DroidForums :icon_ banana:

It's Great to have you Join us here !!!!
We Hope You Keep Enjoying your time in the Forums !!!!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome Techenigma. Glad you found the forums and I hope you find it a great resource for all your future needs.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Enjoy

Klong

Reaction score
Welcome!

As a new member this is my first post. Your post caught my eye because I too am upgrading from the RAZR to the Droid. It's a steep learning curve, but definitely interesting. Not coming from a BB or an iDont I am impressed with my Droid. Wish the AndroidMarket was a little more developed, but that will come in time. Best Apps I found so far- DoubleTwist and Dolphin Browser. Still considering an alternative home App. Any recommendations would be appreciated, GDE vs. Home++ vs OpenHome?

TLDriver

Reaction score
Another one here in Ventura County, I see a lot of sheep with the iPhone around here but not many smart phones around here. I can't stand AT&T or iAnything at the moment, but boy do you see them around.

OP
Techenigma

Techenigma

Reaction score
Well my first foray into changing system files on this phone I succeeded in pushing an incorrect version of the framework-res.apk to my phone. Didn't have Nandroid or anything so I successfully bricked it. That was about a week ago. Since then VZW has sent me a like-new replacement and I've got root, busybox, metamorph, and Nandroid all set up. I've been playing with adb quite a bit and just learning the operations.

Funny thing here is my entire family used to be on VZW, free m2m but then slowly they crept towards AT&T and the iPhone. So everyday I show them something new my phone can do that they can't. I'll win them over eventually and get them back on VZW, and infected with Android fever.

Though it is an easier sell for me since I love to mod things, and they are very much the "stockers" and never touch anything.

Long live the Droid!

OP
Techenigma

Techenigma

Reaction score
As a new member this is my first post. Your post caught my eye because I too am upgrading from the RAZR to the Droid. It's a steep learning curve, but definitely interesting. Not coming from a BB or an iDont I am impressed with my Droid. Wish the AndroidMarket was a little more developed, but that will come in time. Best Apps I found so far- DoubleTwist and Dolphin Browser. Still considering an alternative home App. Any recommendations would be appreciated, GDE vs. Home++ vs OpenHome?

I myself am using Dxtop. It has the most functionality I'm looking for, has a lot of themes available for it, and I've not had any issues with it at all. I've been using it over a month now and could not be happier. I just installed MetaMorph and installed a custom theme as well and combined with the dxtop theme I'm running my phone looks exactly how I want it to down to every last detail. Black navigation bar, black drawers, red accents everywhere. Looks sweet.

Still a work in progress though.

Attachments

• dxtop-ss-1264615725178.jpg
    dxtop-ss-1264615725178.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 176
  • dxtop-ss-1264615730257.jpg
    dxtop-ss-1264615730257.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 187
  • dxtop-ss-1264615734394.jpg
    dxtop-ss-1264615734394.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 172