Want to update to 2.2 and I'm currently rooted with Universal Androot

capsfan0709

Reaction score
So I've spent countless time researching on these boards and can't seem to find the answers to my specific situation.

I currently have 2.1 and am rooted using Universal Androot. My understanding is that if I update to 2.2 while rooted I'll be stuck and unable to unroot using Universal Androot and my rooted apps such as wireless tether will no longer work either. I certainly don't want that to happen.

My question is.....If I first unroot using Universal Androot and then update to 2.2 will I then be able to go back and use Universal Androot to root? Will Universal Androot work correctly at that point? I'm holding off on the update until I'm sure I can root with an easy method such as Universal Androot. I don't want to use a more complicated method to root after 2.2.

To further complicate matters I would first have to go back to the original build.prop as the new build.prop that I have shows that I'm currently at firmware 2.2 and won't allow me to update. If I can't update to 2.2 and easily root I'll just stay where I am for now as I'm satisfied with the performance other than the inability to use Flash.

portermac

Reaction score
I'm about 100% sure if you update you will lose root and android root will no longer work.. I used easy root and when I updated I lost root and easy root was no longer.

DroidedMoto

Reaction score
So I've spent countless time researching on these boards and can't seem to find the answers to my specific situation.

I currently have 2.1 and am rooted using Universal Androot. My understanding is that if I update to 2.2 while rooted I'll be stuck and unable to unroot using Universal Androot and my rooted apps such as wireless tether will no longer work either. I certainly don't want that to happen.

My question is.....If I first unroot using Universal Androot and then update to 2.2 will I then be able to go back and use Universal Androot to root? Will Universal Androot work correctly at that point? I'm holding off on the update until I'm sure I can root with an easy method such as Universal Androot. I don't want to use a more complicated method to root after 2.2.

To further complicate matters I would first have to go back to the original build.prop as the new build.prop that I have shows that I'm currently at firmware 2.2 and won't allow me to update. If I can't update to 2.2 and easily root I'll just stay where I am for now as I'm satisfied with the performance other than the inability to use Flash.

I had the same issue when I decided to upgrade to the leaked 2.2 and was also rooted w/ Androot, after some research here's what I did and still kept root.

-Open "Root Explorer", if you don't have it it's definitely worth buying.
-Go to /system/sbin and scroll down to "su" file
-Long press and Move the "su" file from your /system/sbin and paste it to /system/xbin

I've never had to Root my DX again and have switched between a few different ROM's and also Wiped Data and Cache everytime. Hope this helps.

OP
C

capsfan0709

Reaction score
I do have root explorer. You think this will work with the 2.2 ota update? So I could move that file and then update and I should remain rooted? I just don't want to screw everything up.

TheJester34

Reaction score
If you're interested in a learning experience, unroot, update, then use the Droid 2 root method. It works, and personally I learned a lot (never used adb before, now I have the general know-how to use it)

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If you're interested in a learning experience, unroot, update, then use the Droid 2 root method. It works, and personally I learned a lot (never used adb before, now I have the general know-how to use it)

^ qft.

If you update to the 2.2 OTA you will lose root. The D2 method mentioned above works for the 2.2 OTA and is fairly easy if you follow the directions to the T and take your time.