Want better in-call audio? / How-To Change Voice Codec

xliderider

Reaction score
Saw this tip over at HoFo:

Get into the programming menu, from the call screen, enter ##PROGRAM and press send. Enter code 000000.

In option 04, you can change the vocode option to EVRC-B, it made my in-call audio sound better. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.

Warning: Be careful what options you change in the programming menu, you could potentially brick your phone.

Also, be aware that there is a noise cancelling microphone on the back of your Droid. Look for a small rectangular slit/hole near your headphone jack on the middle, back edge of the case. If you cover this mic with a case or your hand/finger when talking, it could cause audio problems.

Last edited:

wsbsteven

Reaction score
Do we know what the default is? I found this information about those two codecs:

"The newer, mode widely-used CDMA codec, is EVRC. VZW seems to use it now as well, though I think sometimes they still use 13k. On my Mogul (Sprint) it used EVRC for home calls and 13K for roam calls, and you can tell the difference; since roaming generally means I'm out in the boonies with a generally weaker signal, 13K usually sounds a bit more muffled than EVRC. But it may not be the signal, since the Mogul has very good reception so I don't really get signal artifacts (on 13K voice distortion, on EVRC dropouts) ever."

dajakal

Reaction score
On my moto razr, I used the same programming type menu to disable 3G or EVDO which really helped the battery life. Even though it defeats the purpose of the smartphone aspect, is there a setting on the Droid that can do that for last-ditch battery saving?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nothing wrong with call audio here.

Excellent tip though.

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
On my moto razr, I used the same programming type menu to disable 3G or EVDO which really helped the battery life. Even though it defeats the purpose of the smartphone aspect, is there a setting on the Droid that can do that for last-ditch battery saving?

There is a Test Mode option in the Programming screen. Once Test Mode is enabled, it might be the same process as the previous Moto phones to change the HDR PREFERENCE to CDMA. However, I am not going to try this on my brand new Droid. ;)

forkup

Reaction score
Has anyone tested to see if they thought one was better than the other?

godanigo

Reaction score

Check out the Toggle Data widget.

skuzz

Reaction score
You can use the menu to completely disable EVDO. I was using it earlier to do some 1x data tests and it works fine. The switch for it is under the Test Mode screen.

Test mode->enable->next->next->Network Mode->CDMA Only

You may need to power cycle the radio/device if it doesn't come back in 30 seconds or so, otherwise you'll drop to 1x for battery saving joy!

markmicallef

Reaction score
How to get better call quality on your droid

source:
How to get better call quality on your droid - SmartPhoneADDICTED

THIS IS THE PHONE PROGRAMING MENU! DO NOT MESS WITH OTHER SETTINGS IN THIS MENU IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! YOU CAN AND WILL FUBAR YOUR DEVICE!

How to get better call quality on your droid
There have been a few reports of users hearing a echo when making calls. Or the person on the other end of the call no being able to hear you very good. This is something that may help you if you find the Droid having poor call quaility.

On your dialpad dial*##PROGRAM
* then press* SEND
The SPC password is* 000000
Now you should be at the Programming Menu.*
From the list press*"04 Vocode"
Now you can select 13k, EVRC (default option), or EVRC-B. Select EVRC-B
After you select one, back out to your home screen and your phone will reset.

That's it Also here is a little information on what this does*exactly.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Enhanced_Variable_Rate_Codec

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now before you dive into changing these settings... EVRC-B is not available in all parts of the country. So if you change these settings and cannot make calls, try changing it to the 13K setting.

ALSO THIS IS THE PHONE PROGRAMING MENU! DO NOT MESS WITH OTHER SETTINGS IN THIS MENU IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! YOU CAN AND WILL FUBAR YOUR DEVICE!

INFERNO

Reaction score
A tech dialed the prl from my phone and it calibrated itself. I believe it was *228 or something its on the back of the Verizon cheat sheet card.