Want better in-call audio? / How-To Change Voice Codec

medicTHREE

Reaction score
A tech dialed the prl from my phone and it calibrated itself. I believe it was *228 or something its on the back of the Verizon cheat sheet card.

*228 will help with your Preferred Roaming List, but It won't do what this post is describing.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
It worked great for me, sounds better calling automated systems, hard to tell with a live person as it is 0630 and I have no one to call yet.

spyder560

Reaction score
I did all these steps above and it doesn't seem to have fixed the muffling or sound quality. I'm wondering if I should try exchanging it for another one?

Anyone else took theirs back and got an improved one?

theraven51

Reaction score
I am having the same problem and none of the fixes worked for me either. I am going to take it back and see what they can do.

theraven51

Reaction score
It looks like it was a bad mic on my phone. I took the phone in over the weekend and they swapped it out right away. So far I haven't had any problems since.

ahare34

Reaction score
I have done this on my droid and it works great!!! everyone on the other end hears me like im talking striaght into their ear.

Mojo

Reaction score
Awe I see you found my post over there..... I will be happy to answer any questions on this board about using this.

Mojo

Reaction score
Thanks New2u.... I think it would be better to continue the discussion in the original thread that was posted here. I thought I had saw it but did not know where to find it.

freeloader

Reaction score
after doing this i wasnt able to make calls. and i wasnt able to get back to the menu to change it back. scary. but luckly after a reboot outbound calls started working again. it does sound better. just incase someone else has the same issue i had, dont freak out. just reboot. plus theres always 'safe' mode.

then again this whole thing could be related to the amount of alcohol i have consumed tonight. :)

romangreen23

Reaction score
I just switched to EVRC-B using this method. I wish I could recall how my call quality was before. In any regard, I called someone immediately after my phone reset and unless it was my imagination, the call quality was superb and pristine.

I've never had a problem with my battery before the switch so I don't mind if the battery performance loses a few extra percentage points.

SlamminCam

Reaction score
Alright, so my question is....does this help on my side of the line or the person that i'm calling. I'm wondering because i have had a couple people tell me that the call is somewhat muffled.

Any help would be appreciated.

awbs

Reaction score
It should be noted that this broke my ability to make calls. I beat my head against the wall for a while trying to figure this out. It would appear not all locales support this format and if yours does not, you get 15 seconds of silence and then a fast busy signal. If you plan to roam around I would advise against this tweak.