VZW Shared Data Plans in Employee Training Materials; Coming Sooner Than Expected?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-shared-data-plans-sooner.jpg

Verizon Wireless may be getting ready to unveil their shared family data plans sooner than expected. Later last year, Verizon shared some details about some new shared family data plans they were working toward, and that they would be coming in mid-2012. The above leaked internal database screenshot from employee training docs, along with an anonymous tipster's word, indicate that Verizon may be planning to bring the new plans sooner than they predicted. According to the pic, these "account level data plans" may have an account level charge for data allowance and a 9.99 charge per line.

Of course, we have no official confirmation regarding this leak, but we will share any new info as it emerges.

Source: Engadget

blacksoxing

Reaction score
If it was possible to share an unlimited plan....that'd be the best thing ever

Even 5gb!

But of course, these companies are in the business to make money...so I'm not expecting this to benefit ME

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If it was possible to share an unlimited plan....that'd be the best thing ever

Even 5gb!

But of course, these companies are in the business to make money...so I'm not expecting this to benefit ME
Same here. So the pessimistic view is: in order to qualify, we "surrender" our unlimited plans, and trade them in for lower-tiered versions (e.g., 1 or 2GB) that can be shared over multiple lines?

-Matt

Red Droid

Reaction score
Somehow I just don't think this is going to save money on my plan. 4 lines, 3 are 4G phones with unlimited data and an old flip phone, no data. I can't see Verizon doing anything that will allow me to save money as I doubt there will be any kind of unlimited data sharing.

I'm guessing the current tiered plan pricing will probably stay about the same, only adding the option to "share" 2GB, 5GB, or 10GB across however many lines you have, at a cost of $10 per additional phone. That way a plan with 5GB spread across 3 phones will be more likely to incur overage charges and make the company more money, or the theory to overbuy coverage and make the company money.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just switched to a family plan recently. One phone, lte phone, has 4gb. I went over last month, and I'm almost at 1gb now, have until the 25th for the next billing cycle..

My other lte phone is unlimited, and it was at 7gb. YouTube, netflix, forum apps, web browsing, downloading n updating apps. Word with friends.

IMO you have to get either unlimited or 10gb or more if you wanna use your smartphone's data as part of your entertainment. Or switch it to 3g. Might as well not get a 4g phone then... I am hoping like crazy that I can share the unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Red Droid

Reaction score
I just realized something. I bet the new Family Plan will be a 4G only plan. There won't be mixing and matching of 3G and 4G data, and probably no 3G family plan at all. This is another step into migrating all the users off the 3G system and onto 4G.

Yes the 3G system will be around for many years (5-7), but the migration needs to happen earlier rather than later.

ambrown

Reaction score
I've been asking for this for a while since it makes no sense to pay individual prices when you're on a family plan. I'll echo the above statement though and say it'll only really benefit verizon in the long run.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

N4UPD

Reaction score
They can do what they want as long as I and my family get to keep our unlimited plans.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Based on our "best guesses" here I think it's gonna be a tough call in my case:

- three phones on a shared (550-minute) plan
- two of the three phones have $30 unlimited data plans
- third phone is a flip (no data) -> belongs to son

I'd love to get my son on a smart phone (he can have my OG Droid), but no way I'm paying another $30/month for his data, PLUS he'll get a limited plan instead of unlimited like the other two phones. The "good news" is the total data on the two smart phones is less than 1GB a month, so we could theoretically trade in our unlimited plan for, say, $30 or $40 for 1GB or 2GB shared data for the family, and still come out saving $20-$30 a month. But it's the PRINCIPLE -- I HATE the idea of giving up our unlimited plans (which is stupid, we don't use it enough to justify it!).

And OH did I mention the kiddo is 13? Giving a 13-year-old a smartphone with a limited data plan is probably a dangerous idea. :p

Any suggestions?

-Matt

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I'd love to get my son on a smart phone (he can have my OG Droid), but no way I'm paying another $30/month for his data, PLUS he'll get a limited plan instead of unlimited like the other two phones. The "good news" is the total data on the two smart phones is less than 1GB a month, so we could theoretically trade in our unlimited plan for, say, $30 or $40 for 1GB or 2GB shared data for the family, and still come out saving $20-$30 a month. But it's the PRINCIPLE -- I HATE the idea of giving up our unlimited plans (which is stupid, we don't use it enough to justify it!).

And OH did I mention the kiddo is 13? Giving a 13-year-old a smartphone with a limited data plan is probably a dangerous idea. :p

Any suggestions?

-Matt

I'm almost in the same position. Just the wife and I though. We both had unlimited data and only once used over 1GB between us and then just over 1GB. Most of the time we totaled less than 500MB. She gave up her unlimited last month and went back to her old env. If we can get 1GB (preferably 2GB) for $30 she will go back to a smartphone, although she is happy with her env and her Galaxy Player 4.0 right now.

I do have to agree with you that giving a 13 year old a smartphone with a family data plan is not a good idea. Plan on a lot of overage months. I don't see a good way for you to handle this without spending more than you do now.

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd have no issue with a shared data plan. I've been watching the data usage of my wife's and my phone combined and though we both have unlimited data still, we both use a combined 700-800 megs a month of 3G/4G data. That is a max too. We are always in an area with wifi so data doesn't get used much. The problem is if we do have to surrender our unlimited plans or if we can use one of our unlimited plans. I've actually started to turn my wifi off and use 3G only just to get my usage higher since the companies are playing so many games with how they think they can control how we use our data.

nikecar

Reaction score
News team is slow yesterday. Took you all 12 hours to post what was already up. :p

wes_txt

Reaction score

Any suggestions?

-Matt

I know what you mean. I have an unlimited plan that I don't want to give up. I only use around 1gb/month, but I don't have a 4G phone yet. That might change things.

My two daughters (15 & 18) have been begging for smartphones, and I've been waiting to see about this data sharing since last summer. Finally decided I'd let let them have the "300mb for $20 plan" at Christmas. I basically set them up with WI-FI Sleep Policy to Never, Update over WI-FI only, installed the Data Use widget, setup Data Usage text alerts at 50% & 75%, and told them any overages come out of there allowance. One month in so far and all is well. Time will tell. I don't know how well this would work with a shared data plan though.

-Wes

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
There's pretty much no way this would save me money as I pay only 20 a month in all for 2 unlimited plans. Hopefully they don't take my old plan away once my contract is up and I renew.

hkwise01

Reaction score
I wonder if I could get a tablet and share my unlimited data?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums