Volume controls

jbaeza83

Reaction score
So I have had my Razr Maxx for a few months and love it. I upgraded from the Bionic. One thing I can figure out is if its possible to control the notification volume from the volume buttons on the side of the phone. On my old Bionic I would turn the volume down half way and the volume for everything would go down half way including notifications, alarms, calls. But on the Razr Maxx when I put the volume down half way it will only lower my calls (Ringtone) volume, everything else stays the same. Is there a way to have the side controls adjust the volume for everything?

aarong03

Reaction score
So I have had my Razr Maxx for a few months and love it. I upgraded from the Bionic. One thing I can figure out is if its possible to control the notification volume from the volume buttons on the side of the phone. On my old Bionic I would turn the volume down half way and the volume for everything would go down half way including notifications, alarms, calls. But on the Razr Maxx when I put the volume down half way it will only lower my calls (Ringtone) volume, everything else stays the same. Is there a way to have the side controls adjust the volume for everything?

You can get c-volume app. There is a setting that you can set for your notifications. I have used it on my original DROID and now my maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

bonzomatic

Reaction score
I have the same frustration with my Razr M! Why would Motorola think it was a good idea to separate the ringer volume and the notification volume? It's a 3 step process to turn down the notifications now!:angry:

NWRULES

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with your frustration. Absolute joke that you need to go into settings to turn a separate volume down? Someone at Motorola needs to be fired over such a blunder. Not to mention when your in a phone call, with the phone to your ear, you can't even turn the volume up or down. You have to take the phone away from your ear, have the screen come back on and then adjust the volume? My original Droid X didn't even have such stupid oversights. Unreal.....

avenged61973

Reaction score
You can install slider widget. I believe it's free, and customizable. It let's you pick color, and what volumes you want to control with it.

I agree it is stupid to not be able to control notification volume with your volume buttons.

bonzomatic

Reaction score
Hmmm...

I couldn't agree more with your frustration. Absolute joke that you need to go into settings to turn a separate volume down? Someone at Motorola needs to be fired over such a blunder. Not to mention when your in a phone call, with the phone to your ear, you can't even turn the volume up or down. You have to take the phone away from your ear, have the screen come back on and then adjust the volume? My original Droid X didn't even have such stupid oversights. Unreal.....

I think you need to check your phone. The volume buttons on the side should control the in-call volume, so you don't have to go to the screen.

Krenzy

Reaction score
He's right though. On JB you need to have the phone display on in order to adjust the in call volume. I'm not sure why, or who thought this was a good idea...

bonzomatic

Reaction score
I have JB on my Razr M and the volume controls on the side work for the call volume. It must be different on other phones I guess.

Krenzy

Reaction score
It used to work just fine on ICS, maybe its a 4.1.2 thing, or maybe its just those if us who sideloaded the JB leak?

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
You could also do it manually without an app.

Settings > Sound > Volumes

Krenzy

Reaction score
Yeah, but that's what the OP was talking about, that's it's a pain and kinda dumb that it was separated in the first place. I was hoping JB would have fixed this.

meatloaft

Reaction score
I don't know why they took away the linked volume checkbox in ICS either, there's an app that will change both at the same time, I just wish you didn't have to click on the app and move the slider to use it. It's in the Play Store, called ICS Linked Volume, it adjusts the ringer and notification volume at the same time. Here's the link if you want it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DMsImNvbS5ub3RxdWl0ZWluc2FuZS5pY3N2b2x1bWUiXQ..

Rogus

Reaction score
Found this online regarding volume controls in JB:

13. Volume controls

You can now set the volume for all the noisiest bits of your Android device individually. Press the volume up or down key and you'll the familiar little slider with a settings icon to the right of this. Tap this and you'll see separate sliders for media, and notifications and ringtones. Bonus tip: each of these sliders can be, er, slid, with your finger.

It doesn't work like this on my phone.

What I have to do is go to Settings; Sound; Volumes. It is very nice to see separate controls for each sound, but would like to more easily access them as described above. I'm hoping maybe I'm doing something wrong and you have it working off the volume control rocker.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It doesn't work like that on mine either but they did fix the problem of having ringtone volume and notification volume separate. I have a smart action which turns down my ringtone volume when I'm at work and it also turns down the notification volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD