Vlingo: Words to Action for Android

ironLotus

Reaction score
Cross-post from the news thread:

I really want to use this for Note to self but it opens up a web browser instead of sending a message to... myself. I saw on their website that you need to set up the type of message and where to send it, but my options don't have those settings. Any ideas?

1) No need to cross post. it is bad enough that there are two threads on this app. We don't need to see the same posts in both threads if we are following them.

2) Where on Vlingo's web site did you see this is a feature? Link? It is a feature of Google Voice Actions, but I don't believe it is a Vlingo feature.

Alan
My apologies, it wasn't Vlingo's web site, but a BBGeeks blog. In this post, they talk about setting up Note2Self - it *was* two years ago and a beta version for BB so maybe there was a reason it didn't make it to production:

Taking Vlingo speech recognition for a spin | BBGeeks

I don't see why it is bad enough that there are 2 threads about this app when this forum has like 100 threads on the same exact things. To the original poster, I use Vlingo all the time and wish I could help but I don't really understand what you need to do with it?
With Google Voice Search, you can say "note to self" and it will send an email to you *from* you. That really works well for me because even though I might not open a separate app to type out or look at things I want to remember, I *always* look at my email so it's there to remind me.

Big Lou

Reaction score
If we could have InCar run as a background service that starts when car-docked, it would be perfect. As it is now, I find it annoying having to run an app manually and then keep it open when I'd rather see my Car Home.

The service itself? Top notch. I'm just nitpicking. Hopefully we will see these additions soon!

By the way, you can customize the reply message after you say, "Hey, Vlingo." Nothing is more badass to have you phone reply with: "What can I do for you, [insert name]?"

techguru

Reaction score
Cross-post from the news thread:

I really want to use this for Note to self but it opens up a web browser instead of sending a message to... myself. I saw on their website that you need to set up the type of message and where to send it, but my options don't have those settings. Any ideas?

1) No need to cross post. it is bad enough that there are two threads on this app. We don't need to see the same posts in both threads if we are following them.

2) Where on Vlingo's web site did you see this is a feature? Link? It is a feature of Google Voice Actions, but I don't believe it is a Vlingo feature.

Alan
My apologies, it wasn't Vlingo's web site, but a BBGeeks blog. In this post, they talk about setting up Note2Self - it *was* two years ago and a beta version for BB so maybe there was a reason it didn't make it to production:

Taking Vlingo speech recognition for a spin | BBGeeks

I don't see why it is bad enough that there are 2 threads about this app when this forum has like 100 threads on the same exact things. To the original poster, I use Vlingo all the time and wish I could help but I don't really understand what you need to do with it?
With Google Voice Search, you can say "note to self" and it will send an email to you *from* you. That really works well for me because even though I might not open a separate app to type out or look at things I want to remember, I *always* look at my email so it's there to remind me.

Thanks for the link. It might be a feature in Vlingo on other platforms that they didn't include. It doesn't work for me, but the Google Voice Actions does, so that is good enough. I just wish there was one app that did it all. Choice Dialer handle's music OK, except it won't start songs and doesn't handle navigation requests. Google Voice Action will start music, but only with streaming services like Pandora and Slacker, and not your music, but it handles navigation and search requests. Vlingo has the cool "always listening" in car feature, and will start navigation, but doesn't handle music at all.

Alan

Diordna

Reaction score
"Hey Vlingo"

"Yes master Cody"

"What is the answer to life?"

(Hear the answer!! =D and it does feel awesome btw when it says yes master cody lol)

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ironLotus - Hmm that is cool, I never even knew about the google note-to-self function. Well suggest it to vlingo and maybe itll happen in the future.

Diordna - Haha I just did that. Very odd. Random. Now I know where to find it!?