Vlingo for Android Devices!

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Posted this in the app announcement section but dont know how many people are really looking there for apps so figured i'd post it here too...

Below is an email i got for the beta for Vlingo if anyone wants to check it out. So far its amazing, recognizes every word i say no matter how fast :)

"Thank you again for participating in the Vlingo for Android beta app. We are excited to have you start using the application and look forward to hearing your impressions of Vlingo for Android.

Please use the instructions below to install Vlingo for Android. As part of your participation, we ask that you fill out a short follow-up questionnaire to help us better improve the app. We will email you a link to this survey in about 2 weeks. We expect the beta period to last from 2 to 3 months.

Installing Vlingo for Android

1. Check the Unknown Sources item in Settings > Applications
This is required since Vlingo is not yet in the Android Market

2. Open the Browser and browse to http://vlingo.com/androidbeta
3. When the file is finished downloading click on it and then click the Install button
4. Click the Open button when you see the Application Installed message

Add Vlingo to your Home Screen
1. Press and hold in an empty space on your home screen
2. Click Widgets (or sometimes it will be called Android Widgets)

3. Scroll down and click Vlingo

Add Vlingo to your keyboard
Speak anywhere you can type
1. Open Settings > Language & Keyboard
2. Check Vlingo Keyboard

3. Press and hold in any text box on your phone and click Input Method
4. Click on Vlingo Keyboard

5. You can now press the microphone icon () to speak to any text box.

Known Issues
Vlingo requires Android version 2.0 or higher to work
While Vlingo should work on most Android 2.0+ devices, Vlingo has only been fully tested on the Google Nexus One and the Verizon Droid
Please report any repeated mis-recognitions by submitting a ticket at http://vlingo.com/support on your PC

Support & Help

Clicking on the Info button on the Vlingo home screen will provide you with more information on how to use the application.

If you run into trouble, you are encouraged to file a support issue by browsing to http://vlingo.com/support on your PC. Vlingo will not be offering full support during the Beta period, so while you may not hear back from us on all issues, we will be listening and we really appreciate your participation in this beta.

Thank you again for your help and we look forward to hearing from you as you test the Vlingo for Android beta app.

Talk soon,
The Vlingo Team"

joscon

Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I was an avid user of this app on the blackberry platform, it nice to see it here on android. now there is almost nothing I miss about BB

OP
D

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I was an avid user of this app on the blackberry platform, it nice to see it here on android. now there is almost nothing I miss about BB

Yeah it is a great app there is one similar which is choice dialer or something like that and the new keyboard on 2.1 OS does have a "talk to keyboard" option however doesnt recognize voice like this app does, you can say anything at any speed and it will catch every word :)

JimmyD

Reaction score
Hmmm... sounds promising!

One question though.... will this completely replace the default soft-keyboard?

I would love to still use the Swype keyboard, but also have the Vlingo technology available. That would be ideal for me!

pyro6128

Reaction score

I would love to still use the Swype keyboard, but also have the Vlingo technology available. That would be ideal for me!

+1 on this, if i could use speech to text in addition to swype, that would be perfect

The Rick

Reaction score
i can't believe how good this program works, its amazingly better then the factory speech to text function

OP
D

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

+1 on this, if i could use speech to text in addition to swype, that would be perfect

Yes you can use this and swype just dont replace the keyboard and you can just use the widget if you want instead of the keyboard itself. it really is a great app, voice recognition is by far the best out in the market today, gets every word no matter how fast you talk :icon_ banana: another cool part is when you hit the search button (magnifying glass) on the phone itself gives you an option to use the app there too :)

authority11

Reaction score
Wow, this app rocks. The recognition is absolutely amazing. I love the widget and how you can send texts or emails or whatever you choose by signaling it with a voice command at the start.

The only thing I can complain about is that I wish the widget was smaller, but it's really not a big deal.

Last edited:

skidoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the post; for the alternative. But I have to say that this Southern man finds the Google speech-to-text "keyboard" far superior.

The Google version handles my vowels MUCH better. I get a way-higher hit rate on my diphthongs that are corrupted (many actually flattened into monothongs). Vlingo doesn't even get in the ballpark (think words like "now" and "mine" becoming, respectively, "e-mail" and "map"). I have to radically alter my speech to get Vlingo even close.

And my accent is Central Virginia "urban;" not Appalachian holler. That is, it's not THAT thick.

The Vlingo "keyboard" also lacks a couple of convenience features (e.g. swipe from left-to-right, instead of pressing mic, and one-touch delete of misinterpreted sequences), but it's in beta, so those bits could change.

Nevertheless, it sounds as if this app has been around for a while, on other platforms, meaning the speech recognition engine isn't likely to improve significantly between now and the release.

But it's interesting to test and compare. Thanks.

OP
D

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Thanks for the post; for the alternative. But I have to say that this Southern man finds the Google speech-to-text "keyboard" far superior.

The Google version handles my vowels MUCH better. I get a way-higher hit rate on my diphthongs that are corrupted (many actually flattened into monothongs). Vlingo doesn't even get in the ballpark (think words like "now" and "mine" becoming, respectively, "e-mail" and "map"). I have to radically alter my speech to get Vlingo even close.

And my accent is Central Virginia "urban;" not Appalachian holler. That is, it's not THAT thick.

The Vlingo "keyboard" also lacks a couple of convenience features (e.g. swipe from left-to-right, instead of pressing mic, and one-touch delete of misinterpreted sequences), but it's in beta, so those bits could change.

Nevertheless, it sounds as if this app has been around for a while, on other platforms, meaning the speech recognition engine isn't likely to improve significantly between now and the release.

But it's interesting to test and compare. Thanks.

Guess not all apps can make everyone happy, oh well.

Another_Dude

Reaction score
Wow, this app rocks. The recognition is absolutely amazing. I love the widget and how you can send texts or emails or whatever you choose by signaling it with a voice command at the start.

The only thing I can complain about is that I wish the widget was smaller, but it's really not a big deal.

Don't use the widget at all. Just long press on the magnifying glass soft button and set Vlingo as the default. You don't have to use any screen space w/ the widget this way.

Reaction score
There was a warning when I switched keyboards that VLingo could collect any data I enter. I don't transfer much sensitive info, though I do use some banking apps. Should we have any concerns about this?

DroidxRage

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't realize they mapped it to the Search soft key. I was actually thinking that would be a great idea, seeing the Blackberry versions are activated with a physical button. Looks like Vlingo beat me to the punch! ;)

If they made it so it would search your phone contents too (like, find an app or something), I could probably set it to default on my search key to replace Google's.