Vlingo: A most have speech to action app

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;Vqs8XfXxgz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqs8XfXxgz4[/video]

I am not the one to post about a random application I download for free from the market, but this one is certainly a special case. This application is one of the very few speech to action applications that you can get for free, and in my opinion it is the best.

I have been using this application for over 24 hours now, and wow is it amazing. Normally only Google made software can understand my strong french-ish ascent, but this one does it well. It response very quickly and it has a lot of features that can be controlled by just talking to your phone, with my favorite being able to updating your facebook status by saying "Facebook Update... Driving to work with just a few hours of sleep."

Now if that does not sell it to you, maybe the fact that it is free will do it. I just wanted to let you guys know of something you might want to try, and here is are a few more video demos.

Check out their site

[video=youtube;t7cNlIeQNl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cNlIeQNl8[/video]
[video=youtube;C-WK60d8O2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WK60d8O2I[/video]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been using it for the past couple of weeks. It works pretty good. Now for those with deep voices there are times where it misses. I wish they will allow you to calibrate it like you can the google search.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks Wen, nice recommendation. For fun: go into car mode, and ask "What is the meaning of life?" I was impressed that Vlingo knew the answer.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks Wen, nice recommendation. For fun: go into car mode, and ask "What is the meaning of life?" I was impressed that Vlingo knew the answer.

-Matt
Did it answer 42? :p
Nope, sorry...that's a different internet meme. But I did ask for "the square root of pi" and almost fell on the floor when I got the answer. The software team at Vlingo has a wonderful sense of humor. I'm gonna have lots of fun with it.

-Matt

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

-Matt
Nope, sorry...that's a different internet meme. But I did ask for "the square root of pi" and almost fell on the floor when I got the answer. The software team at Vlingo has a wonderful sense of humor. I'm gonna have lots of fun with it.

-Matt
Hey,
What would the answer be?
This sounds like fun and I want to laugh as well.

mossostdrauka

Reaction score
I tried this when it first came out, but wow has it improved. I love that I can say "Hey vlingo" and it will answer me with a custom message, then I can speak commands. Stunning. Now if only i could customize its name...

great app

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

-Matt

-Matt
Internet meme? Try Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :)

quaffapint

Reaction score
I just want an app that can respond to "Open Pandora" and "skip". If I try Open Pandora with this one it just brings up the browser and searches for open pandora. Bummer.

mossostdrauka

Reaction score
You should ask "how are you?" or "what is my email address".

What does yours answer with after you say Hey Vlingo?

Current mine responds "Aye Cap'n"

techguru

Reaction score
I am still looking for a voice app as good as microsoft voice command was on my windows mobile devices. It could not do internet searches or start navigating to an address, but it could open any app and most important gave me complete control of my music. Play artist, album, song, playlist, skip forward, back, I think I could change volume too. This is really my only disappointment with android.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I just want an app that can respond to "Open Pandora" and "skip". If I try Open Pandora with this one it just brings up the browser and searches for open pandora. Bummer.
Google Voice Search -- "play Metallica" gets you slacker if you have it installed, so I'm guessing pandora would work as well. Try it.

JVSEDI

Reaction score
Is anyone having trouble with the WakeUp Command on Vlingo InCar? I have set everything properly in the settings and the WakeUp Command is on with the little red circle showing up, but when I say "Hey Vlingo" absolutely nothing happens. Vlingo announces that the WakeUp Command is on when I start up application.....little red circle icon appears.....then nothing. I can say "Hey Vlingo" 20 times and it never responds. I hold the phone all different ways...closer, further away, tilt it up and down....but nothing seems to work. I've tried it with bluetooth and without bluetooth. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I have the original Motorola Droid phone. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what else to do to make it work. All other features have been working fine. Thanks for any help. I have emailed them, but am still waiting for reply.

GeLopez

Reaction score
Is anyone having trouble with the WakeUp Command on Vlingo InCar? I have set everything properly in the settings and the WakeUp Command is on with the little red circle showing up, but when I say "Hey Vlingo" absolutely nothing happens. Vlingo announces that the WakeUp Command is on when I start up application.....little red circle icon appears.....then nothing. I can say "Hey Vlingo" 20 times and it never responds. I hold the phone all different ways...closer, further away, tilt it up and down....but nothing seems to work. I've tried it with bluetooth and without bluetooth. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I have the original Motorola Droid phone. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what else to do to make it work. All other features have been working fine. Thanks for any help. I have emailed them, but am still waiting for reply.

Yes +1
Unless it is completely and 100% quiet, vlingo won't start

bigtex52

Reaction score
Anyone have this working on a D1 on Verizon? I keep getting a "Cannot connect to server" error when trying to use it. My browser finds the server just fine.