Google Translate Updated, It Now has Speech-to-Speech Translations in 14 Languages

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
googletranslate.png

Google has just released a new version of its Google Translate application for Android. In January, Google launched Conversation Mode in the app, which allowed speech-to-speech, direct translations, and supported English and Spanish. Today, Google is chipping away at the language barrier further by expanding that feature to cover 14 languages.

The supported languages are Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Russian and Turkish. Google has also made a few other tweaks, including the ability to correct your speech before translating it in the event that the app mishears you. You can also add unrecognized or custom words to a personal dictionary, and you can also now pinch-to-zoom in on a close up view of translated text. The application has also been optimized for larger Android devices such as tablets.

Google warns that the application is still in alpha, so translations are likely to be affected by factors like background noise and regional accents. The newest version of Google Translate is available now in the Android Market, and supports 2.2 and higher devices. Video demonstration is below.

[video=youtube;-V4QKza7Muo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-V4QKza7Muo[/video]​

Android Market Link

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Nice buuuuuuuut, in conversation mode; having to pause after each sentance and then hit the speak button again is a bot of a PITA. I'd be totally floored if it was actually REAL TIME. I for one can't wait till we all get jacked in like in the Matrix... Can you speak Mandarin!? Not yet.... 2 seconds later; fluent in Mandarin.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Nice buuuuuuuut, in conversation mode; having to pause after each sentance and then hit the speak button again is a bot of a PITA. I'd be totally floored if it was actually REAL TIME. I for one can't wait till we all get jacked in like in the Matrix... Can you speak Mandarin!? Not yet.... 2 seconds later; fluent in Mandarin.
How would it work in real time? Having it speak while you are speaking will not only confuse yourself, but the audio would get back in the microphone on the phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking with more ram and a faster processor that you wouldn't have to speak one sentence at a time. But I only played with it once some time ago.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
How would it work in real time? Having it speak while you are speaking will not only confuse yourself, but the audio would get back in the microphone on the phone.
In theory..it could detect the frequency of the voice output from the phone and, more or less, perform noise cancellation of the voice it recognizes as the phones. Maybe this will come in handy, I have some rude neighbors who do not, or at least pretend not to, speak English..