Video Playback - avi format from SD Card

Twist747

Reaction score
Is there an app that will play my avi video format movies?

I seem to have more avi movies than mp4 or other formats. Am I missing something or should I not keep movies in this format? I could convert them to other formats, but that seems to be a lot of work. Is there a "prefered" format that I should be converting to and storing?

Thanks!

dwagner88

Reaction score
Search for Rockplayer. This is a beta program that plays most avis and mkvs perfectly. It isn't in the market yet, and there was a link to it floating around somewhere. Google it, you should be able to find it without much trouble.

Ferradinho

Reaction score
Search for Rockplayer. This is a beta program that plays most avis and mkvs perfectly. It isn't in the market yet, and there was a link to it floating around somewhere. Google it, you should be able to find it without much trouble.

+1 on that. Rockplayer is the only way I know of to play avi on the Droid currently.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Why would the avi be almost forgotten? I assume it is a better format. It is a larger file. Would it be due to file size?

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
OK, RockPlayer Rocks! I have now read what I can find on the latest beta, downloaded it, uploaded an avi file (Dexter Season 3 E1). IT WORKS!! Thank you! Pretty nice app for us all to enjoy!

dwagner88

Reaction score
OK, RockPlayer Rocks! I have now read what I can find on the latest beta, downloaded it, uploaded an avi file (Dexter Season 3 E1). IT WORKS!! Thank you! Pretty nice app for us all to enjoy!

Ha, I have all of Dexter season 1 on mine right now. I watch it in bed at night before I go to sleep. IMO, its the best show on television.

Fault

Reaction score
Rockplayerbase works like a pro. Transdroid+Rockplayerbase=Watching Transformers right now

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there an app that will play my avi video format movies?
You lucked out but you need to specify the codec with AVI's. AVI is just a wrapper format that can contain any of a number of different codecs.

I assume it is a better format. It is a larger file. Would it be due to file size?
Better depends on what you mean by it. A codec that compresses better should yield smaller file sizes. While a less-compressed file will generally have fewer artifiacts, file size alone doesn't really tell you much.

Last edited:
OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
I assume it is a better format. It is a larger file. Would it be due to file size?
Better depends on what you mean by it. A codec that compresses better should yield smaller file sizes. While a less-compressed file will generally have fewer artifiacts, file size alone doesn't really tell you much.

This is interesting and I have a small understanding on this. I have a conversion program. What would be your recomendation for someone to say, rip a DVD into a PC file for storage and use. I mostly use basic programs i.e., Media Player, or my TV to watch these files.