[Video] Gorilla Glass 2 is One Tough Piece of Glass

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;pP6ky3FEAuk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pP6ky3FEAuk[/video]​

Do you like watching objects being blown up, smashed or tested for sheer strength? Do you love to see how much pressure seemingly fragile objects can withstand before failing under extreme conditions? If you answered yes to either of these questions, we have the video for you.

Watch what happens when Gorilla Glass/2 is pitted against another reinforced glass product. It's not just marketing folks. Enjoy!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
that stuff is tough .. its amazing i miss the gorilla glass.. had it on my droid x and droid 1 and not on tbolt.. needless to say i have a few scratches on the tbolt

TyrantII

Reaction score
Yeah, but hows it hold up when dropped from height on a pool decks with tiny pebbles strewn about? Thats how my GG OG finally lost to a real world situation:

Seems the marketing is that it's stronger, but the selling point is lowering materials cost and weight for the same effectiveness. I'd rather keep my thickness and get better protection.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Agreed, I 'd rather have the same thickness and greater protection. And really how much weight does the screen really add anyway?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I 'd rather have the same thickness and greater protection. And really how much weight does the screen really add anyway?

i think the bigger thing is its thinner to allow more effective touch screens and better quality picture...although i do agree with you on it should be thicker and stronger

btw the way they tested it is just a gimmick, a real world test would be a lot of force very quickly, anything can handle a lot of force better if its applied slowly rather than quickly

Reaction score
i wonder why the circles on the 2 pieces of gorilla glass are bigger?

also, the 120 lb resistance is not very realistic. stating that the glass took on 123 lbs of force doesnt mean anything in real life. if a phone falls and lands on something that breaks it, it's usually something that isnt wide and even like that press. a tiny pebble, or countless other things screens shatter on would exert alot more pressure than that flat piece from the press would at the same level of force. pressure should be the number they use to rate the glass. because it's constant. a loose example is how a knife works. you take a flat piece of metal and exert a pressure on it, it doesnt cut. exert the same pressure on a sharpened blade and it cuts.

either ways, it's still very impressive, when compared to other glass. i just wish manufacturers didnt need to use deceit to sell a product, even when the merits are honest. it's like lying for no reason.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Well, regardless of the real life significance of the test, it is still comparing apples to apples across the different glass types. That much IS real.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I think we are slowly gearing up towards technology durable enough for Batman! :wink-b:

Big Ry

Reaction score
i think the bigger thing is its thinner to allow more effective touch screens and better quality picture...although i do agree with you on it should be thicker and stronger

btw the way they tested it is just a gimmick, a real world test would be a lot of force very quickly, anything can handle a lot of force better if its applied slowly rather than quickly

actually that's incorrect. Rapid loading results in artificially high strength.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Most phones break due to the design of the front bezel. A phone with a metal face is more likely to break if dropped due the the aluminum not absorbing impact. Plastic has better absorption. The glass itself is only partially to blame when it breaks, even if it falls directly on its face. In all honestly, dropping a cell phone directly on the screen without any other portion of the device taking an impact is highly unlikely. Most of the time a device spider webs, is because of the transfer of energy from the housing to the screen. Gorilla Glass is a nice product, I would like to see them improve on shock absorption though.

TyrantII

Reaction score
Most phones break due to the design of the front bezel. A phone with a metal face is more likely to break if dropped due the the aluminum not absorbing impact. Plastic has better absorption. The glass itself is only partially to blame when it breaks, even if it falls directly on its face. In all honestly, dropping a cell phone directly on the screen without any other portion of the device taking an impact is highly unlikely. Most of the time a device spider webs, is because of the transfer of energy from the housing to the screen. Gorilla Glass is a nice product, I would like to see them improve on shock absorption though.
Define unlikely? Thats exactly what killed my OG above. That phone had accidentally been thrown 15 feet onto pavement one time when I was over-tasking with a SLR camera and backpack. Over a park bench, onto concrete sidewalk, and landed in a way where it was fine. Fast foward to a drop from 2 & 1/2 feet onto a pool deck flat, and it's all she wrote. The pebbles provided pressure points where that small drop was more than enough to spiderweb it. I don't think it's an unlikely scenario at all. It just isn't likely to happen every drop, every time. Still, I'd rather have better protection at the same size than same at a smaller size. This really is about material costs, a few mm, over millions of units, is a noticeable savings on shipping if the GG2 is competitively priced. Plus it can make slim phones even sexier.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
This really is about material costs, a few mm, over millions of units, is a noticeable savings on shipping if the GG2 is competitively priced. Plus it can make slim phones even sexier.

i agree with your whole post, and i just want to add that if GG keeps getting cheaper, then it will hopefully be in more phones :biggrin: