Gorilla Glass 3 on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Faces Off Against Knives in Scratch Test

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;DOW_IuZQ-5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DOW_IuZQ-5E[/video]​

The new Samsung Galaxy S4 comes with a new feature that hasn't been covered heavily in the media. It includes the next generation of Gorilla Glass, version 3. Apparently, Gorilla Glass 2 simply made the original Gorilla Glass thinner and lighter rather than increasing its scratch resistance. The 3rd-gen version actually increases the strength of the glass as well, which can result in a 40% reduction of visibile scratches compared to the original Gorilla Glass.

An enterprising blogger decided to put this new glass technology resistance to the test, by pitting the new Gorilla Glass 3 equipped SGS4 up against pennies, keys, and knives! Check out the video above for the results.

Source: SamMobile

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Why is he running it with his thumb??? Get a microfiber cloth or something and not your nasty greasy fingers.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Why is he running it with his thumb??? Get a microfiber cloth or something and not your nasty greasy fingers.

You're referring to a guy who's deliberately trying to scratch up a brand new S4. How much snap do you expect him to have? : )

warped1987

Reaction score
Was wondering why he kept taking it off the camera after each test. My mind started thinking well maybe he's scratched it and he's got a few extra brand new ones off camera and swapping them out, LOL. But I doubt that, I've seen what GG3 can do and he wouldn't have to do that. He must have been wiping them down off camera to show no scratches. But it did make it look a little suspicious.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
He was just wiping it with his shirt, you can hear it if you turn the volume up.

At any rate, that doesn't impress me over the current version of GG on my Bionic, I have no scratches with the same tests at home, so where's the proof in the pudding? However if he showed that it could prevent scratches from the rubbing of beach sand or a razor blade, I'd be very impressed.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
He was just wiping it with his shirt, you can hear it if you turn the volume up.

At any rate, that doesn't impress me over the current version of GG on my Bionic, I have no scratches with the same tests at home, so where's the proof in the pudding? However if he showed that it could prevent scratches from the rubbing of beach sand or a razor blade, I'd be very impressed.
I second that, anything under a 8H hardness rating will not scratch any tempered glass.