Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 Screen May Be Susceptible to Screen Scratches.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Folks, I seriously doubt the Glass truly scratches with pics that have a Mohs hardness under 5. As noted, all glass has a hardness of between 5 & 6, so glass will scratch any material that has a Mohs hardness of 5 or below 5.

If you've ever had a scratch on your car paint and have gone to an auto parts store to buy a touch up paint, you'll find many of the touch up paint tubes include a scuffer either as a separate device or incorporated into the tube. I have three of them and on the end of the time the scuffer protrudes from the tip of the tube cap. The scuffer's purpose is to make the paint surface rough to allow the new paint to adhere properly. Paint may not adhere to the paint otherwise. This is similar to bicycle tube repair kits that come with sandpaper to scuff the tube before applying the glue and patch.

In the case of the touch up paint tubes the scuffer is a stiff point of fibers of glass compressed into a rod and bonded with acrylic, similar to tent poles or orange driveway marker poles. This glass rod will scratch anything upto the hardness of glass, and even glass itself.

If something is hard enough to scratch something else, it's scientifically impossible for it to be scratched by that same material it can scratch unless the material is identically hard, so glass can scratch glass and plastic, but plastic can't scratch glass unless the plastic is contaminated with something hard or harder than glass. This is why fingers can scratch glass. It's not your skin that's scratching it, is the dirt in your finger prints and already on the glass.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are you 100% sure that what is shown in the op is fake or a fluke?

To quote Batfleck

If there is even a 1% chance

1m1MD3v.gif

With something like that I would rather advise someone to grab a screen protector and it be a fluke then to question the validity and they end up finding scratches. Because we all know that the moment you try to go back to the carrier or call the manufacturer they are going to drag you through hell and treat you like you are a careless device owner vs it being a manufacturing flaw.

FK you could be right, there could be a flaw with only a couple of screens and the manufacturer may have fixed it. For now I personally would not risk my $900 device when I could grab a $15-$30 screen protector.

Be interesting to follow this thread and keep it updated with the latest new about this subject. I am sure over time we will uncover this mystery.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I wouldn't call it a fake. I am confident it's a fluke. Only a brand new set of pics, and a pristine clean screen, in a clean environment can be considered a definitive and conclusive test. I don't think this was intentional, but simply an unusual set of circumstances that caused the apparent scratches.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use a screen protector. If you don't use a screen protector, you WILL get screen scratches, no matter how carefully you handle the device. Every phone I've had (except now), from my previous Droid Turbo and going all the way back to my OG Droid had Gorilla Glass, and yet they have all also have gotten screen scratches when they weren't protected. Glass is glass, and until they can make glass harder, like Sapphire, they will scratch with anything harder than glass.

I now have a Turbo 2 which is not glass but instead plastic on the exterior layer, so a screen protector is even more important to prevent scratches. Still now that I've experienced a glass screen protector I will never use a phone without one going forward.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
a glass screen protector

^this

At what we pay for these phones now at minimum for me is a glass screen protector and a case. If you care about the resell value at minimum a screen protector (preferably glass since you can get glass for about $5 more than plastic and like FK said it feels better) and a skin.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
^this

At what we pay for these phones now at minimum for me is a glass screen protector and a case. If you care about the resell value at minimum a screen protector (preferably glass since you can get glass for about $5 more than plastic and like FK said it feels better) and a skin.
Agreed, but getting one that works with a case, as I've read reviews about ones that work great until you put on a case / cover.
Maybe we can get good protectors posted to this thread for us to use?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Putting on glass protectors on curved screens is a pain in the rear.
How big of a curve is on that screen?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Putting on glass protectors on curved screens is a pain in the rear.
How big of a curve is on that screen?
Agreed! That said, one of the reasons I like the Note 7's curves over the previous generation is that it's MUCH less pronounced. Minimal yet functional.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@FoxKat, don't disappoint. I have my nexus 6 on charge with the brightness set to the right brightness for reading. I want your fully laid out explanation or rebuttal to that article.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
@FoxKat

I want to read your review of this article

Revisiting Old Solutions to Gorilla Glass 5's Current Problems

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
OK, first I would like to say that article being as long as it is (very long), if I tried to review and answer with my desired level of clarity could possible cause an uproar with some who've criticized me in the past for being overly verbose.

There are so many points to take away from that article but I'll try to capitalize the most important ones IMHO.

"The recent rise of glass backed phones with curved glass fronts...comes with consequences...more glass, in places where there used to be metal or plastic [is] increasing the risks [when dropped] of it striking glass (and potentially shattering)."

This goes essentially without saying.

"Corning has risen to the occasion by improving their drop resistance for both Gorilla Glass 4 and Gorilla Glass 5, but it has definitely come at a cost in terms of scratch resistance...and from what we’ve seen so far, it’s only gotten worse with the Note 7."

The process of creating Gorilla Glass is one that takes normal glass, and through a process of ion transfer under controlled conditions removes some of the smaller glass ions that are spaced farther apart at the surface, and exchanges them for larger ions spaced closer together and of a different ion composition. This takes what looks like a rough surface on the glass when highly magnified (yet looks and feels perfectly smooth to the eye or finger), and makes it much smoother. Since most scratches start by a material rubbing against it and catching an edge of an imperfection in the surface of the glass, by having less surface imperfections you end up with less chance of scratching. Likewise, cracks or shattering start at high stress areas of the glass, such along the glass edge and at points of imperfections, so less stress areas means less shatters when it's impacted from drops.

Yes, this may be replacing higher Mohs material (5-6) with lower Mohs material (4-5) at the microscopic level but it also reduces its susceptibility to scratches from certain materials, specifically lower Mohs scale materials such as keys and key rings, wedding bands (without jewels), in the 3 to 5 Mohs area, though it may actually increase susceptibility to scratches from dirt and the airborne particles of dust that contain abrasives as described in the article.

The article goes deeply into the quandary that manufactures face when trying to walk a careful balance between shatter resistance and scratch resistance. Like it points out, harder materials scratch less but shatter easier, and vice versa. The entire idea behind Gorilla Glass was to make a hybrid, similar to metal alloys, by blending two or more dissimilar materials with complementary qualities into one conjoined material that takes some of the best features of each unique material and merges then into one with more advantages and less disadvantages. It's a great concept and it does work, however like metal alloys you may get greater benefits along one aspect and yet see lost benefits in another.

Similarly, when using concrete as a building material, it's hard and very strong when carrying vertical loads (compressive strength), but brittle and subject to cracking with bending pressure. Steel is also strong but bends and flexes so if used to support loads things move or bounce around like being mounted on a spring. In a building, concrete cracking could result in collapse and death, but steel means buildings "move", so they lace steel rebar into the concrete molds before they pour the concrete. Steel flexes long before it cracks and breaks so the flexibility added to the concrete means if the concrete cracks, it's still held together internally with the flexible steel bars and can continue to support the structure. It's not a perfect solution but it's better than either by itself.

I still don't believe that the 3 Mohs pic is truly capable of scratching Gorilla Glass 5 or earlier versions. I even have doubts of the 4 Mohs even though the video seems to prove it.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That makes sense. Personally I felt my original Galaxy S (Fascinate) had much better "scratch resistance" than my S5. Before I donated that particular device to a friend this past January, the screen was still in perfect condition, not a catch on it. So, it seems, that while Corning is improving on the overall "strength" of GG, that in turn has made the glass "softer", and much more susceptible to scratch marks.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

^an update.

Obviously a little late as the device is currently being pulled.