Verzion Unlimited Data Plan May End

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any chances that anyone who already has an unlimited plan will be "grandfathered" in to keep the plan? I have never actually looked, but as far as I know I have never used that much. Mostly just basic browsing, and looking on the Market. Now at work sometimes I stream Pandora so I might be using more than I think, but I still don't think it is that much.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
OP
CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Reaction score

I agree we probably will end up seeing this take place, especially with new features such as tethering being available within the OS. Who knows what other large bandwidth consuming features will be available in future versions of Android. As much as I'd love for Verizon to continue their unlimited data plan, I guess they have to manage the capacity somehow or everyone will be screaming about dropped calls and latency issues.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any chances that anyone who already has an unlimited plan will be "grandfathered" in to keep the plan? I have never actually looked, but as far as I know I have never used that much. Mostly just basic browsing, and looking on the Market. Now at work sometimes I stream Pandora so I might be using more than I think, but I still don't think it is that much.

Verizon frequently "grandfathers" plans on a selective basis. (I have the same family plan I've had for five years.) However, they are certainly not required to do so and they use various incentives to "encourage" users to adopt new plans. For example, some phones are not available if one wishes to keep a particular plan.

In this case, it's very likely there will no "grandfathering" if you want a 4G phone. And if that doesn't limit the number of "grandchildren" seeking to keep unlimited data plans, there would be nothing to prevent VZW from excluding high bandwidth users from any grandfathering.

The only real guarantee here is that VZW won't change the terms of your current contract. (That would be illegal.) And I suspect that they would not try to force you off the network if you continue to pay on a month-to-month basis once your contract ends even though that is a bit "grayer" area.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
When this happens i'll stick with Verizon for a couple months to assess what affect it has on my bill. If it goes up, then Verizon will be forcing me to take a look at Sprint. If it doesn't, i'll probably hang with them.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
When this happens i'll stick with Verizon for a couple months to assess what affect it has on my bill. If it goes up, then Verizon will be forcing me to take a look at Sprint. If it doesn't, i'll probably hang with them.

Those who believe their salvation lies in Sprint don't seem to understand that Sprint has been losing market share hand over fist for sometime. (Amazingly, their actual user base has been shrinking.) Their only viable strategy is to undercut VZW and AT&T in terms of price in the hope of building their customer base. O

Once that is accomplished they'll move to tiered pricing like everyone else.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Verizon frequently "grandfathers" plans on a selective basis. (I have the same family plan I've had for five years.) However, they are certainly not required to do so and they use various incentives to "encourage" users to adopt new plans. For example, some phones are not available if one wishes to keep a particular plan.

In this case, it's very likely there will no "grandfathering" if you want a 4G phone. And if that doesn't limit the number of "grandchildren" seeking to keep unlimited data plans, there would be nothing to prevent VZW from excluding high bandwidth users from any grandfathering.

The only real guarantee here is that VZW won't change the terms of your current contract. (That would be illegal.) And I suspect that they would not try to force you off the network if you continue to pay on a month-to-month basis once your contract ends even though that is a bit "grayer" area.
That's true. Right now I am on a Employee plan since my wife works for them, and when I was having trouble with my TP (before I finally got my Droid) it would not let her activate my old 6700 because of the data plan we had.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
Those who believe their salvation lies in Sprint don't seem to understand that Sprint has been losing market share hand over fist for sometime. (Amazingly, their actual user base has been shrinking.) Their only viable strategy is to undercut VZW and AT&T in terms of price in the hope of building their customer base. O

I understand that completely. So what? When that happens, then i'll assess what my best move is. I go with whatever companies give me the best value/service at the time. As John Keynes once said... "When the facts change, I change my mind..."

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I understand that completely. So what? When that happens, then i'll assess what my best move is. I go with whatever companies give me the best value/service at the time. As John Keynes once said... "When the facts change, I change my mind..."

Touche. Wish more people took Keynes' advice in many areas.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Those who believe their salvation lies in Sprint don't seem to understand that Sprint has been losing market share hand over fist for sometime. (Amazi

Have you used sprint before? I know when I was with them their coverage was poor at best.

I would consider that, and I'm sure you are, but just in case anyone else hadn't I thought I would bring it up.

Maybe when it's time for this to hit the market for vzw, vzw might still be the best option considering coverage.

I have to agree that sprint is fighting an up hill battle and will probably tumble back down before this is all said and done.

Not only is their coverage poor but they have dismal customer service; they hardly work with their customers once they have them locked into a contact. This is why I left them and went to verizon even though verizon has always been more expensive, I am getting what I pay for and I'm glad I made that decision.

Taegost

Reaction score
So, anyone else catch the fact that they're talking about their 4G network, not the 3G one we're all on?
I also find it interesting that most of the discussions I've seen about this topic, most people don't know what their actual usage is...

Twoo

Reaction score
So, anyone else catch the fact that they're talking about their 4G network, not the 3G one we're all on?
I also find it interesting that most of the discussions I've seen about this topic, most people don't know what their actual usage is...

Correct, the rate change has NOTHING to do with the Droid.

exdirrk

Reaction score
I recently received information that we will continue unlimited data until 4G rolls out. 4G will be tiered similar to att but with larger caps. Somewhere around 10gb limit for $30 monthly. I do not see this being detrimental for most people.