Verizon Wireless readies new ad campaign, drops "Wireless" from name

frankiez

Reaction score
I work for Verizon telecom. We install and maintain Verizons landlines (copper) and their FIOS to residential and business customers. We have always been a completely separate entity from Verizon WIRELESS. I can't tell you how many times I have told people I work for Verizon and immediately they start telling me or asking me about a cellular phone issue, etc.

Thru the years with the advent of VoIP phone service (cable providers, Vonage, Magic Jack, etc.) we have seen a decline in home phone service subscribers. Also I find more and more people opting to just use their cell phones at home and forego a home phone line altogether.

Although, the FIOS business seems to be growing, Verizon seems to be spinning off its old copper landline business. We recently spun off that business in 14 states to FRONTIER Communications. Consequently, the employees that were Verizon are now FRONTIER employees. It almost seems like Verizon is priming itself for something big.

I'm wondering if we are going to consolidate the remaining Verizon with Verizon Wireless and just be called VERIZON. If you havent noticed when you go into a VZ wireless store, they are pushing the FIOS to residential customers. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they do that. I even had a mgr at 1 of their stores tell me that he thinks that it will happen in the near future. We will see.

cruzincat

Reaction score
Let's hope not

I live in a pretty much 100% residential area that has poor service by VZW. They keep blaming it on the NIMBYs who don't want a tower nearby, but I truly believe that VZ has seen so many landlines being replaced by people satisfied with their cell coverage that they never turn on the landlines when they move.

It would make good business sense for Verizon (Wireless) to NOT improve service where it is a high percentage of residential customers, as long as the company provides both services.

They should go the way of AT&T in the past and be forced to separate.

mikes

Reaction score
It would make good business sense for Verizon (Wireless) to NOT improve service where it is a high percentage of residential customers, as long as the company provides both services.
Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless are two different companies. VZW is a joint venture of Verizon and Vodaphone. The actual company name is Cellco Partnership, they just do business as Verizon Wireless.

cruzincat

Reaction score
You say it's a joint venture with Verizon as half of VZW, but you say it's a different company in the same sentence. So wtf is it? Semantics?