Verizon...what are you doing??

AlexSB

Reaction score
Better yet I can answer what you are NOT doing and that's taking advantage of this dual core boom! Seriously let's take a look at this:

Were getting the Bionic while ATT got the better Atrix

T-Mobile is getting HTC's first dual core phone, the Pyramid

T-Mobile is also getting the LG Optimus 2x, while were stuck with the Revolution (WTF tmobile???? I guess service doesn't matter anymore)

Verizon seriously, Android 2.4 is going to be optimized for DUAL CORE devices not ones with a super bright screen that were jus gonna tone down to save battery.

I knew we were getting the Revolution but I also thought we were gonna get the Optimus 2X, until I recently started doing some digging around.

Ok my rants done

Liberated Droid II

cpjr

Reaction score
I wouldnt count all the eggs until their hatched......I mean, only 1 phone is even actually released, so I hardly call it a "boom" thus far. And besides, from the sounds of it....by the time we have a few choices in the dual-core arena they will be moving towards producing even better than that.

And until the software is primed for dual core, there isnt much use for it.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
I wouldnt count all the eggs until their hatched......I mean, only 1 phone is even actually released, so I hardly call it a "boom" thus far. And besides, from the sounds of it....by the time we have a few choices in the dual-core arena they will be moving towards producing even better than that.

And until the software is primed for dual core, there isnt much use for it.

If there's nothing in the basket in the first place, what's to hatch? I agree that 1 phone isn't a boom, but when each of the heavy hitters in mobile phone manufacturing come out with their next wave of competition, embracing dual core in this instance, and Verizon is left behind picking up the cheap knock offs what are we to think?

And Android 2.4 should be coming out around September according to Google's timeline.

Liberated Droid II

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
because Verizon is putting all their eggs in apples basket..... i dont blame them theres more money to be made with the iphone then with android.

Last edited:
OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
because google is putting all their eggs in apples basket..... i dont blame them theres more money to be made with the iphone then with android.

You mean Verizon is putting all their eggs in apples baskets? If google put their eggs in apples baskets then that would be one amazing breakfast lol

I sure hope the iPhone coming to verizon doesn't mean the end of Android on Verizon...the CEO himself even said he wanted a balanced OS selection with Verizon

Liberated Droid II

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
because google is putting all their eggs in apples basket..... i dont blame them theres more money to be made with the iphone then with android.

You mean Verizon is putting all their eggs in apples baskets? If google put their eggs in apples baskets then that would be one amazing breakfast lol

I sure hope the iPhone coming to verizon doesn't mean the end of Android on Verizon...the CEO himself even said he wanted a balanced OS selection with Verizon

Liberated Droid II

lol yeah i meant to say Verizon is putting all their eggs in Apples basket..... its been a long day.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
the CEO himself even said he wanted a balanced OS selection with Verizon

True, but I guess a "balanced OS selection" right now means a lot less Android and a lot more iOS. Android made up around 80% of Verizon's smartphone sales last year, so there's a lot of balancing to do!

mamawm

Reaction score
i too am kinda ticked with verizon. seems to me like all we're getting is some polished up versions of last year's phones with 4g stuck on. i'm not interested in 4g right now, i want dual core. it's gonna be another couple of years before 4g is live where i live.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yea I'm actually not against having a selection on Verizon, between offering Android, Blueberry, iPhone, and Windows phone 7 I think would be a great idea for them as a company you get a little bit of everything. Aslong as Verizon doesn't jump the Android ship I'm fine.

I just want them to atleast KEEP UP with what's going on with dual core devices, and at this point now with the OS acknowledging dual core optimization, its becoming a make or break point on phone selections.

4g is in my area so I'm excited about that, I just want ENOUGH from the hardware to last me, because there's always something better coming out as soon as you've made your choice.

Liberated Droid II

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I'm in agreement with the OP about all of the cool new phones going to other carriers. It seems that we, here on Verizon, are constantly being asked to settle for "reasonable facsimiles" of the phones that go to AT&T or T-Mobile - and that's annoying. Verizon either isn't interested in getting these phones, or can't manage to cut a deal with their manufacturers, and the end result is that we stand on the sidelines and just wish that WE could use them. It's disheartening to say it, but maybe Verizon *is* giving up on, or losing interest in the Android OS. :icon_eek:

-Mike

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Exactly its like Verizon benefited so much from Android (and Motorola) and now Verizon doesn't want to be so deep into Android because they've gotten some new toys in their toybox. The things the Droid did for Verizon and android are astounding (yea the G1 launched android but the Droid did so much more), back then it was blueberry as your choice of smartphone. Now Verizon has already a nice selection to choose from, I don't see long lines outside of Verizon stores in petition for WP7 devices coming to the carrier, so why aren't they just sticking to what they (successfully) have and improving?

Liberated Droid II

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly its like Verizon benefited so much from Android (and Motorola) and now Verizon doesn't want to be so deep into Android because they've gotten some new toys in their toybox. The things the Droid did for Verizon and android are astounding (yea the G1 launched android but the Droid did so much more), back then it was blueberry as your choice of smartphone. Now Verizon has already a nice selection to choose from, I don't see long lines outside of Verizon stores in petition for WP7 devices coming to the carrier, so why aren't they just sticking to what they (successfully) have and improving?

Liberated Droid II

When the iPhone 5 comes in September you will see longer lines outside of their store then ever before.

I really don't believe that Verizon is deliberately not giving people the best devices out there, but I think they may be using a little marketing strategy. Despite the enormous amount of "discussion" (yeah, that's the word to use) in the T-Bolt thread many people are still in the middle of a 2 year contract and simply don't want a new phone at this time. So maybe Verizon realizes that and wants to introduce Android as D1 contracts come up to a close and then they will produce the latest and the greatest.

Speculation on my part really. But I don't think they want to abandon the Droid users, and I think their marketing department is smart enough to realize that many Droid users will not accept iPhone.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
I haven't really read too much into that thread (2nd largest thread on the forums?) But the TB is a best buy exclusive and now their buy back program comes free with phones, so I'm sure that has a large part to play in peoples' decisions. Heck I might even get a thunderbolt down the road I got my upgrade in June.

The thing is, the owners of the OG Droid are already nearing their upgrade time, I started my contract around the same time the Droid came out (back in Oct of 09) and my upgrade is in June, unless 3 months is enough time for something to get developed for Verizon.

Yea I already know the iPhone 5 lines are gonna be ridiculous I just hope verizons network can handle it

Liberated Droid II

dan.dar

Reaction score
I'm eligible for upgrade in November so for now I'll sit on the sidelines and see what's out there. Current crop of announced phones do not impress me with the exception of Galaxy S2 and the LG dual core one, neither of which has officially been announced for VZW.

I want 10mm thick slab with dual core processor, 4"-4.5" display with at least 960x540 lines of resolution.

darkmatter

Reaction score
4g is in my area so I'm excited about that, I just want ENOUGH from the hardware to last me, because there's always something better coming out as soon as you've made your choice.

Liberated Droid II

like nvidia announcing quad core mobile processors before their dual core even hit the market.