Verizon Warranty

FreeRider14

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I have a Droid Incredible, purchased in June 2010. Recently, part of my touch screen became numb and there was no touch response (not helpful when you're texting) - that's definitely a defect. The only physical damage done by me to my phone is that there is a crack in the lens cover that goes over my camera lens - a single crack. The lens/camera eye isn't damaged and the camera still takes great pictures like the day it was taken out of the box. I spoke with both a tech rep at a Verizon store and a rep from the Verizon customer service phone line who both said that I "should be fine" and that this shouldn't affect the warranty, both also said that they're only looking for big damage; i.e. - cracked touch screen, liquid damage, physical abuse more than wear-and-tear. However, they didn't really sound confident, and only said that I "should be fine".

So I got a replacement phone anyway since it's still under the 1 year warranty. My replacement Incredible came in yesterday and it's in perfect condition.

Here's the worst case scenario with sending my old phone back to Verizon with the cracked camera lens cover: the warehouse looks at my old phone and determines that the crack in the lens cover puts the phone out of warranty, meaning that I will have to pay up to full retail price of the replacement phone that they sent me (up to $600).

Has anybody every had to send back there phone with, at least, a similar situation that was under warranty? How did it turn out? I don't expect anyone who has been in the exact same boat as me, but your thoughts would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I burned through 3 D1's last week for various defects (super loose USB, keyboard butterfly knife, & headphone Jack). I would call Verizon & respectfully let them know a cracked camera is unacceptable. They should have no problems replacing it.

In the future I wouldn't deal with the guys in the store when it comes to these issues.

*if they give you any guff just ask to speak with someone higher up. Let them know that:
1) they can swap it out now for a crack in the lense cover or later for a broken camera.
&
2) Certified Like New Replacements should not have cracks anywhere much less the phones optics.

OP
F

FreeRider14

Reaction score
Hi:

Thanks for the reply, but I realized that there was a misunderstanding with my original post. It's my old phone that has the cracked camera lens cover, my replacement phone is in great condition. Just wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation where they sent back there old phone and it turned out to be out of warranty and why that was the case; and, do you think I'll be okay in my situation. (I fixed the original post to read this more clearly).

What do you think?

Thanks, again.

yurdle

Reaction score
Yes, Dad's usb port on his DX stopped working monday and we took it in to the local verizon store. The tech looked it over the phone to make sure there was no physical damage and told us about the fee that we would encounter if there was luckily the phone has been in a case and had a screen protector from day 1, so nothing was physically wrong with exterior of the phone. I find it strange they can't do in-store warranty replacements anymore, so when we called the warranty center we had to explain everything again, and had to go through some steps with the tech JUST to make sure it wasn't something that could be easily fixed..(something the in-store tech had already figured out)

Anyhow... the in-store tech told us there couldn't be more that 2 signs of physical damage, so if the camera is your only sign then I can only really say what they said.... you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. I think you're safe.. its obvious that the screen problem is not related to the camera crack.

Best of luck to you. :)

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Thanks for the reply, but I realized that there was a misunderstanding with my original post. It's my old phone that has the cracked camera lens cover, my replacement phone is in great condition. Just wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation where they sent back there old phone and it turned out to be out of warranty and why that was the case; and, do you think I'll be okay in my situation. (I fixed the original post to read this more clearly).

What do you think?

Thanks, again.

Out of warranty like past a year or are you wondering if it is out of warranty because of the crack?

yurdle

Reaction score
In the future I wouldn't deal with the guys in the store when it comes to these issues.

two of the guys at my local store are great, while I agree most of them aren't the brightest crayon in the box, there are actually some who know what they are talking about. I always request one of these two when I go in.The others at the store actually go to these guys when they can't figure something out(especially android related problems).

yurdle

Reaction score
Out of warranty like past a year or are you wondering if it is out of warranty because of the crack?

He's worried about being out of warranty because the crack(I believe) That's my understanding as to what my in-store tech told me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, what can they say? It could have happened during shipping.

Heck I've seen Verizon give phones away even after the person admitted they dropped it in water.

yurdle

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, what can they say? It could have happened during shipping.

Heck I've seen Verizon give phones away even after the person admitted they dropped it in water.

So have I... but that was with an in-store replacement lol (girlfriend cleaned her phone with a little "too damp" of a wash cloth)

OP
F

FreeRider14

Reaction score

two of the guys at my local store are great, while I agree most of them aren't the brightest crayon in the box, there are actually some who know what they are talking about. I always request one of these two when I go in.The others at the store actually go to these guys when they can't figure something out(especially android related problems).

Correct; I'm worried that it will be out of warranty because of the crack in the camera lens COVER. It's still under 1 year.

OP
F

FreeRider14

Reaction score

That's what I thought, but they give you a little booklet with your replacement phone which states: "If you do not return your defective phone or if you return a phone that has been subjected to neglect, misuse, liquid damage, or unreasonable wear and tear, then you will be charged up to the full retail price of your replacement phone, which may exceed $500."

That part gets me. Not sure how much pull I'll have with blaming it on the carrier.

Either way, I'm confident that if they give me any crap, than I'll definitely ask to speak with someone higher up. Just wanted to get a feel as to how strict they are and what kind of other experiences are out there.

Please continue if anyone has other comments. Thanks!

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're fine. The edges of my D1 were jagged & silver from dropping & it was OK. The refurbishers will be the only ones who notice a thing like that.

OP
F

FreeRider14

Reaction score
Appreciate your attention on this one. This is helpful, and hopefully it will be helpful to other users out there who are wondering the same thing about the Verizon Warranty.

I'm going to go with my original plan and still send it back to them, which they only give you 5 days to do so after you receive their replacement in the mail.

I'll try and remember to come back to this post and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again (still happy to hear from anyone else too about this one).