Verizon Upgrading Some Network Infrastructure to Better Support Data Guzzling

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-cisco-network-upgrade.jpg

Verizon just announced that they are upgrading their network infrastructure in several major cities including, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Seattle. They are upgrading to a 100G IPv6 network, using Cisco's CRS-3 Carrier Routing System in order to keep up with high data demand.

Apparently, there are a lot of people out there that chug down a ton of bandwidth with their movies, games and music! :blink: Whodathunkit? :D

Here's the press release:
Verizon Upgrades Its IP Network Access to Enable 100G Technology

Cisco CRS-3 Provides Foundation for Traffic Growth Driven by Video, Mobile, and Cloud Services

NEW YORK, Dec. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- To meet the growing traffic demand created by video, mobile and cloud services, Verizon will upgrade its IP network infrastructure in selected U.S. markets, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Seattle.

Verizon will extend its next-generation 100G capabilities by deploying Cisco's CRS-3 Carrier Routing System platform to terminate high-speed connections closer to the "edge" – the part of the network nearer to the customer's network facilities. This advanced platform, which will be deployed in the first half of 2012, will enable the network to seamlessly accommodate growth where traffic demand is the greatest.

"We're constantly seeking to improve the Verizon IP network to support traffic growth, improve performance and increase functionality," said Ihab Tarazi, vice president of global IP and transport planning and technology for Verizon. "Upgrading the network using Cisco's CRS-3 platform provides better scale and expanded capabilities that support traffic growth areas such as broadband access and content delivery."

Verizon will deploy the CRS-3 platform to provide 100G edge access to the IP network and upgrade its FiOS core network. Verizon has relied on Cisco's CRS-1 platform in the network for more than four years, allowing the company to easily transition to the CRS-3 platform, thereby simplifying network operations while enabling comprehensive system redundancy and network resiliency.

"Cisco's CRS and ASR technologies were designed for trail-blazing service providers, such as Verizon, that are looking to create and deploy the next generation of great services and applications." said Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, core technology group for Cisco. "These routing platforms will seamlessly accommodate the extraordinary future growth of video traffic, mobile devices and new online services, and we are confident these technologies will play a key role in enabling Verizon to continue delivering advanced new FiOS experiences to its customers."

The Cisco platform will enable content providers and large-enterprise customers to benefit from more efficient and quicker access in delivering traffic to Verizon's wireline and wireless consumers.

The CRS platform also plays a key role in Verizon's network evolution strategy to IPv6, the new Internet addressing system, by providing the flexibility to support the anticipated wave of IPv6 services while continuing to expand and sustain IPv4 services.

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with more than 107 million total connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $106.6 billion in 2010 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 195,000. For more information, visit Verizon.com

busab

Reaction score
I know it doesn't say anything about my area but I wonder if they are doing some upgrades in the Greenville SC area? I have had a really weak signal for the past few hours with both 3G and 4G dropping out. I usually have a full signal in my area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

sarreq

Reaction score
It'd have been nice if they just did this in the first place, rather than trying to screw us with tiered data plans