Verizon Has Already Upgraded 300 Markets to Their New Faster XLTE Network

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-xlte1.png

Verizon is apparently upgrading their network to XLTE even faster than they upgraded to LTE. They are already up to 300 total markets which have been upgraded to the newer technology. This only 200 short of their total of 500 LTE markets. Here's their full press release,

FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla., June 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Verizon Wireless has expanded its newest technology — known as XLTE — in Fort Walton Beach to boost 4G LTE network capacity and enhance high-speed services for customers. Today, more than 300 of Verizon’s 4G LTE 500-plus markets have been enhanced with XLTE, with more scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.

XLTE utilizes Verizon’s AWS (Advanced Wireless Services) spectrum, which allows Verizon to deliver significantly increased capacity — at a minimum, doubling the capacity — over its high-speed 4G LTE network. This means more customers in high-traffic locations can access the company’s most advanced technology at the same time to send photos, download videos, surf the Internet and use other popular applications on their smartphones, tablets and other devices during times of peak usage.

“Fort Walton Beach customers are especially mobile and enthusiastic users of 4G LTE — sharing photos and video, downloading large files, and staying connected to enjoy a great wireless experience,” said Krista Bourne, president — Houston/Gulf Coast Region, Verizon Wireless. “With XLTE, Verizon Wireless continues to enhance its network to ensure the best possible experience and continue to deliver on our brand promise to customers.”

XLTE technology is particularly effective in enhancing wireless network performance in settings with a concentrated group of high-data demand customers, such as densely-populated areas, rush hour commutes, concert venues, sports arenas/stadiums and other large event locations.

First launched in December 2010, the Verizon 4G LTE network build is virtually complete, covering more than 500 markets nationwide and nearly 97 percent of the U.S. population. Verizon’s XLTE deployment is a major part of the company’s ongoing commitment to enhance network reliability and superiority. The company has invested more than $90 billion nationwide since 2000 to build and enhance its wireless network, and consistently earns top rankings from independent consumer reporting and testing institutions for network quality and performance.

For additional information on the Verizon 4G LTE network, XLTE coverage markets and more, visit America's Largest 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm in the Port Arthur /Beaumont TX area.. And the majority of users here are either tmob, AT&T, or cricket.. Not a lot of vzw users .( I say this to stress it's not due to traffic.) . . And the speeds aren't any better..Perhaps it will take some fine tuning..

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
. . And the speeds aren't any better..Perhaps it will take some fine tuning..

I noticed the speeds weren't much better here either. But the way I read it, it's supposed to help in "high-traffic locations... during times of peak usage". So it seems that we shouldn't see much difference during those times.

Tapped from a Nexus

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have an AWS activated tower near work. I get 40 to 50Mbps down and 10 to 15 up. On a few other towers in my area, they are the same crappy 10Mbps or slower.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The official Verizon forums are full of people saying that after the upgrade to XLTE, their service has slowed down. It's been deemed as "X-tra slow" LTE.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The official Verizon forums are full of people saying that after the upgrade to XLTE, their service has slowed down. It's been deemed as "X-tra slow" LTE.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2
I had to call and submit a trouble ticket for our area. For about a week.. We had 3g speeds.. I wasn't happy... Now we're back to about where we were...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Y'all are helping me not regret my decision to leave Verizon.
Thank you.
My brother, who just resigned with Verizon, has been telling me he's getting a bunch of drops now since upgrading from his Bionic to an M8. Before he had very slow speeds but never drops. Mine had gotten so bad I never had a drop because it never connected.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

KaChow

Reaction score
While I keep reading about the updates that Verizon is making, I just can't say that I'm that impressed anymore. I hooked up my G3 the other day on AT&T, kept my Note 3 on Verizon, go around town in Philly and suburbs, for some reason, I just can't get an impressive Speedtest from Verizon on my Note 3 that does better than my Korean G3 on AT&T. I don't get it, AT&T doesn't do nearly as much bragging as Verizon does.... what gives?

Sent from my LG-F400S/L using Tapatalk

Phreaker47

Reaction score
And what is so great about any of this when you have just a few gigs a month of data?

I'll take unlimited 30Mbps (most places I'm at I get that speed, including home and work) on t-mobe for now. I use it, too. I sync and stream stuff every day (gotta love Plex and I watch hockey, now baseball)... I use the hell out of it. I've used over 30 gigs this month.

For Verizon to ever get me back (they just lost me after about 15 years) they'll have to unpucker their bungholes and give people unlimited data back. If these XLTE networks can handle the traffic, they'll soon find themselves without the excuse that their inability to handle all the traffic is the reason for revoking unlimited.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am also on Verizon and their network has been real spotty as of late, I get drops to 3G in areas where there used to be 4G "and their 4G is nothing to write home about", and the XLTE thing is a gimmick, I only got high download speeds once on Madison avenue in Manhattan between 70th and 80th street . Plus I had an issue with them the other day, and after talking to these clowns "5 different help support people, and one in the store that I told him to go fly a kite" who read off a screen and have no clue, I told them my contract is up on the 8th of July and I am seriously considering leaving, as the old days are long gone and competition is slowly catching up.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I've been testing T-Mo against Verizon in DC for almost 2 weeks now and I have to say its not bad so far. My VZW is getting twice the 4G speeds but T-Mo has provided solid coverage for WAY less.

The real test will be from next week through to September when we start traveling around like crazy. If TMo holds up I'll consider a switch.

As far as VZW being crappy in NYC... All carriers are crappy in NYC. The networks are saturated there. Trust me... VZW is the best of the three in and around Manhattan.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And what is so great about any of this when you have just a few gigs a month of data?

I'll take unlimited 30Mbps (most places I'm at I get that speed, including home and work) on t-mobe for now. I use it, too. I sync and stream stuff every day (gotta love Plex and I watch hockey, now baseball)... I use the hell out of it. I've used over 30 gigs this month.

For Verizon to ever get me back (they just lost me after about 15 years) they'll have to unpucker their bungholes and give people unlimited data back. If these XLTE networks can handle the traffic, they'll soon find themselves without the excuse that their inability to handle all the traffic is the reason for revoking unlimited.

They lost me,4 lines, after 21 years. My wife and 1 daughter went pre pay, my oldest daughter went AT&T,I went T-Mobile.
I don't need a gazillion terabytes per second speed but I do need solid connections that are consistent, don't take minutes to connect then drop after a few seconds. I don't need pin drop sound quality but I do need for whole sentences not to drop into digital silence during a conversation. I don't need a billion text messages per day but I do need for those I send to go through and those I'm supposed to receive to show up the same day, if at all.
They offered me the same plan I've got with T-Mobile if I signed a contract and wouldn't be eligible for a new phone for another year even though I was month to month. Their reasoning for this was "it's a loyalty plan". My answer to them was "21 years of paying my bill on time should've proven my loyalty".
If it turns out T-Mobile isn't the carrier for me I'll be trying AT&T next.
I speak with my wallet.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I haven't had any issues with the network since the OG Maxx dropped LTE/data completely. I dunno, maybe we just haven't had anything in my area yet?

Phreaker47

Reaction score
They lost me,4 lines, after 21 years. My wife and 1 daughter went pre pay, my oldest daughter went AT&T,I went T-Mobile.
I don't need a gazillion terabytes per second speed but I do need solid connections that are consistent, don't take minutes to connect then drop after a few seconds. I don't need pin drop sound quality but I do need for whole sentences not to drop into digital silence during a conversation. I don't need a billion text messages per day but I do need for those I send to go through and those I'm supposed to receive to show up the same day, if at all.
They offered me the same plan I've got with T-Mobile if I signed a contract and wouldn't be eligible for a new phone for another year even though I was month to month. Their reasoning for this was "it's a loyalty plan". My answer to them was "21 years of paying my bill on time should've proven my loyalty".
If it turns out T-Mobile isn't the carrier for me I'll be trying AT&T next.
I speak with my wallet.

Hah... yeah, I had an Airtouch pager.

Data plan issues aside, I willingly continued to pay a higher price for Verizon based on their "best network" claims which for the most part were true, overall. However, in my case I was pleasantly surprised that at least in my own stomping grounds, T-Mo hasn't been a downgrade at all; in fact, it's far better. This is the first service I've had at this home (been here 13 years) where I have a full signal all the time. It has been a black hole here. Also, data speed/performance has been better for me in general. Another surprise.

When I did the math for two years, Verizon (typical new "more everything" + 4gigs) versus T-Mo unlimited everything, in the end the cost is almost exactly the same for a single line. This math includes the cost of a new S5.

I'll admit it stings to think of paying that ridiculous retail price, but it is more than made up for in the end.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hah... yeah, I had an Airtouch pager.

Data plan issues aside, I willingly continued to pay a higher price for Verizon based on their "best network" claims which for the most part were true, overall. However, in my case I was pleasantly surprised that at least in my own stomping grounds, T-Mo hasn't been a downgrade at all; in fact, it's far better. This is the first service I've had at this home (been here 13 years) where I have a full signal all the time. It has been a black hole here. Also, data speed/performance has been better for me in general. Another surprise.

When I did the math for two years, Verizon (typical new "more everything" + 4gigs) versus T-Mo unlimited everything, in the end the cost is almost exactly the same for a single line. This math includes the cost of a new S5.

I'll admit it stings to think of paying that ridiculous retail price, but it is more than made up for in the end.
Verizon might be awesome in 99.9% of the country but in my .1% of it was horrid since last August and barely usable before that. I went by the T-Mobile store and he looked up my address, my work, children's schools, etc before I let him hook me up with a SIM card in my Verizon Note2, and I was rocking the G2 shortly behind him doing that. I "only"get around 11Mpbs down/5 up at my house. With Verizon I constantly got "no data connection please try again"
a7atymeg.jpg