Verizon update_SCH-I545_NC5_to_NG6 unlock issue

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I take it you don't know about Samsung Kies and that it backs everything up for you?? Including messages??

The resets are less frequent but still happening. I just installed Samsung Kies and tried to do a backup. It failed on the apps and the settings plus a few others. Samsung Kies sounds like a good idea it is not working for me.

MonkeyMike23

Reaction score
Well, all of my previous issues fixed. Thanks to @kaos for the assistance. But since the latest OTA NG6, Towelroot doesn't recognize my phone. Does anyone know of a work aroud for this issue. If not, is there an equally simple rooting method?
Thanks

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
The resets are less frequent but still happening. I just installed Samsung Kies and tried to do a backup. It failed on the apps and the settings plus a few others. Samsung Kies sounds like a good idea it is not working for me.
Ok, sounds like you really need a reset then! Unfortunately, not much else you can do to back them up! Make sure your google is completely synced before you reset and good luck!

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, all of my previous issues fixed. Thanks to @kaos for the assistance. But since the latest OTA NG6, Towelroot doesn't recognize my phone. Does anyone know of a work aroud for this issue. If not, is there an equally simple rooting method?
Thanks
Give towelroot a chance to catch up! Shouldn't take long

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to FDR your device to start with, then if that doesn't help, your gonna need to reflash your device. I am not sure what you ment by GLONASS?? What carrier are you using??

GLONASS is a type of GPS satellite that disappeared for many users with the release of 4.4.2 for many Android devices. 4.4.4 was rumored to fix this.

If you use the "GPS Status" app from the Play Store and see any greyed out points on the dial, it means your phone is not actively communicating with those satellites, at least from research I've read.

I have a Verizon phone.

EDIT

I seemed to have fixed it by downloading an app called TopNTP! Basically, if you have root, it rewrites your gps.conf file using different satellite servers. My GPS now locks in 2 SECONDS, compared to the few minutes it used to take. Wow, such a huge difference. Recommended to all who may have some GPS locking issues.

Last edited:

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Mine locks in really fast! This is what it looks like for me
71c0b8c84d172deb4777543598f4890c.jpg

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
This is the first update my phone has received from Verizon, since rooting it. Am I correct in thinking I must unroot before downloading this update? Also, do I have to uninstall my apps that use root, i.e. SuperSU, greenify, etc., or do I just disable them, or leave them as they are?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Taking an OTA While rooted is ~NEVER~ Advisable! You must remove the root and Superuser ONLY! Take the Update after you complete those two steps!

AND as a warning!!! This seems to break Towelroot Ability to root so if you need root, then DO NOT Update yet!

Reactions: cr6

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the fast reply KaosMaster.
I don't need root. I am only using it for Titanium Backup Pro, Greenify, and a few others. No custom roms or anything.
I will use the unroot feature in SuperSU, then will uninstall SuperSU.
After looking at my "root" apps, I will probably just uninstall them all, just to be on the safe side. They are easy enough to reinstall once towelroot catches up with the update.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sure Thing GVRider!! If you have any issues let me know! I have everything you will need to fix your device if need be! ;)

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That is very cool KaosMaster. Thank you very much.

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, I uninstalled all apps requiring root, and unrooted, them uninstalled SuperSU and towelroot. I then installed the update, which said it was successful. Now, the darned thing is rebooting on its own every 15 minutes or so. Unbelievable!

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yea that has been happening! Make a backup using samsung Kies, then do a factory data reset

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Crap! Can Verizon do anything right?