Verizon update_SCH-I545_NC5_to_NG6 unlock issue

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
I haven't had time to do the factory reset yet, but this morning my wake up alarm started to go off and the phone restarted. Thankfully I heard it. And it didn't do a full restart, just went to the Verizon screen and came back on, didn't show the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo or the purple swirl, or I just missed it. Also, no music. Trying something different. I was using TouchWiz Home as my launcher so I decided to try Nova Launcher and see if it works better. I want to see if there is an incompatibility with TouchWiz since it seems to Freeze after an unlock.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wish you luck, but I would assume we'd be seeing more complaints about this issue if it were a TouchWiz problem. Like I said, I got the update with no issue. Hope you figure yours out though.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
Interesting mid-day update. After switching to NOVA no freeze issue on the launcher that I was experiencing and the phone hasn't restarted since earlier this morning. Kinda digging NOVA launcher now. It has changed a lot since the last time I played with it. We will see what happens.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That just makes this whole situation even more strange, but glad it's working out alright for you. I'm a big fan of Next Launcher myself, though I didn't reinstall it when I reset my phone and don't intend to install it right away when I get my note 4. It's nice to have the options third-party launchers provide though.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
Correct! It does make it very strange. Might be good just to do a Factory Reset anyway and re-install apps. I will see how the rest of the day and maybe yesterday goes.

I like some of the things that TouchWiz offered and some of the things that NOVA offers. I think I will just wait for Android L on my next phone. Used to use Launcher Pro, but it hasn't been updated in years so I leaving that behind.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Correct! It does make it very strange. Might be good just to do a Factory Reset anyway and re-install apps. I will see how the rest of the day and maybe yesterday goes.

I like some of the things that TouchWiz offered and some of the things that NOVA offers. I think I will just wait for Android L on my next phone. Used to use Launcher Pro, but it hasn't been updated in years so I leaving that behind.
I liked Launcher Pro a lot. I feel your pain.

As for the issue you're having, I'd lean towards a factory reset as well. It's just so weird that the TouchWiz launcher seems to be causing issues. I could see that with a third-party launcher, but not the one that's baked right into the OS. Seems like something must not have fully installed properly.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
Spoke too soon apparently. I had the phone on vibrate, a call came in and the phone restart from the Verzion screen on IN SAFE MODE. I didn't even touch it, it just did it on it's own.

Plus I think it is time for a factory reset. My battery life sucks. It could be that I get no signal in my office and I'm the 14th floor of a highrise office building in the middle of downtown Kansas City.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Spoke too soon apparently. I had the phone on vibrate, a call came in and the phone restart from the Verzion screen on IN SAFE MODE. I didn't even touch it, it just did it on it's own.

Plus I think it is time for a factory reset. My batter life sucks. It could be that I get no signal in my office and I'm the 14th floor of a highrise office building in the middle of downtown Kansas City.
Darn! Be sure to let us know if that fixes the issue when you get the time to do it. Definitely wanna be able to answer calls.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
So! Just took the update! ;) Mobile data stability increased! Everything appears to be working flawlessly! Will report back on battery life after today! ;)

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So! Just took the update! ;) Mobile data stability increased! Everything appears to be working flawlessly! Will report back on battery life after today! ;)

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!
I haven't noticed any significant changes at all, but I also wasn't really experiencing any of the issues addressed with the exception of heat maybe. It does seem to run a bit cooler.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
Did the factory reset. Everything seems to be working well. We will see tomorrow.

Update: No random restarts overnight that I know of. Stupid me forgot to backup my NOVA Launcher settings so I'm slowly putting apps back where they belong. Seems to be working well.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Did the factory reset. Everything seems to be working well. We will see tomorrow.

Update: No random restarts overnight that I know of. Stupid me forgot to backup my NOVA Launcher settings so I'm slowly putting apps back where they belong. Seems to be working well.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way. I'm sure it will. Glad you seem to be in business now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

silverfang77

Reaction score
I took the update yesterday. Since then, have been experiencing random reboots where the purple Galaxy logo swirls and then the red VZW screen; not a full reboot, so more like a soft reboot. It seems to happen during app usage if I shut off the screen with the app still running, seconds later it reboots, or after exiting out of an app.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.