Verizon to match Walmart price?

raydog153

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get Verizon to match Walmarts price? Can you tell me your success or failure stories? I got mine thru Verizon at 8am on Fri, only to find out later that I could get it cheaper like others thru Best Buy or Walmart. I am assuming the Walmart honors the NE2? Wondering whether I should go into Verizon and complain and ask for $50 back. Even If I returned the phone, got it at $150 and paid a $35 restocking fee it would be $15 cheaper.

qoncept

Reaction score
Plus tax. I'd probably go and explain that to them -- give me the $50 or I'm returning the phone.

Edit: Forgot to mention that, if they refused, I'd probably just be lazy and go home.

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You do have 30 days to return the phone if you aren't satisfied. Do they still charge a restocking fee is that is the case?

andjarnic

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing!! I am kind of pissed that the carrier sells the phone for more than other stores. WTF? They are already going to make a lot more on my $100+ a month plan.

I can't imagine they charge a restocking fee. That is usually for stores that don't support their products, or small mom/pop stores that are having a hard time surviving against bigger stores.. like small hardware stores that have to compete with Home Depot and the likes.

ImaDroid

Reaction score
VZ does charge a restocking fee as part of their "Satisfaction Guarantee".
From the Mothership....

Satisfaction Guarantee You may terminate service for any reason within 30 days of activation. If you purchased equipment from us at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return that equipment to avoid being assessed a $175 Early Termination Fee. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within 3 days of activation. You will also be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date. A $35 restocking fee will apply if you exchange your device for a different model or color, or if you return your device and within three days purchase another one. If you paid a security deposit, it may take between 30 and 60 days to process the return of your security deposit. The charges for any service used on the account before the service termination date may be applied against your security deposit.

Gravity tractor

Reaction score
I cannot believe that people are bickering over the price of this phone. With everything that it does? You no longer need to buy a GPS unit seperately from you phone. Seriously, people. It's more than worth the money, stop being a bunch of bickering tightasses.

andjarnic

Reaction score
@Gravity... man, I want to be rich like you!! Can you spot me the $35 I'll lose if I return it for a refund? I am glad you have plenty of money to not care about $50, but I don't.. $50 goes a long ways. Did I need to spend $200 on a phone..nope.. but I did... but that isn't the point at all. The point is, the carrier, the one pushing all the ads.. is charging us MORE than walmart and other stores. Shouldn't we get the best deal right from the horses mouth? It really pisses me off that I go in to buy this great new phone only to find out that places I didn't even know carry it, sell it for 25% less, if not more.

So, glad $50 is no big deal to you, very happy to see someone in these economic times doing so well that they can lambaste the rest of us that find $50 to be a big deal... but many of us don't like to toss money away, regardless of how great the product is. I'll say it again.. 25% is a big deal. Go buy a $400,000 home, and find out that a different company not associated with the home builder sells it for $300,000. Tell me you won't want to go get that $100,000 savings back?

KineticYellow

Reaction score
$35 fee

Verizon only charges a $35 restocking fee if you return your phone and choose a different one. If you return it straight up without switching to a different model, there is no restocking fee.

Gravity tractor

Reaction score
You're comparing a $200 cell phone to a $400,000 house? Seriously?

Nice of you to assume everything about my financial status, too.

Go to walmart and buy your phone. Stop pissing and moaning about it already.

Reaction score
Okay, went through over the weekend when I was shopping this phone and went to the Verizon store to try out the phone. When the sales rep walked up, I told him that I would be happy to walk out with it that night if they would either match their online deal, which would have had a cash-out price of $149 or at least match Walmarts deal of $188 (Walmart nor Best Buy honor the "New Every 2"). He said corporate policy forbid it. I checked at another VZ store before I placed my order online and they said the same thing. So, No, you won't get any price matching in a corporate store. Your best bet to save money is order it online if you have NE2 credit or to go to Walmart if you don't.

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind, if you return a phone you purchased with the NE2, you DON'T get that credit back. It's GONE. So anyone thinking they'll take it back and get their money back and get it cheaper somewhere online that has used the NE2 already will not only pay the $35 restocking fee but will LOSE the $50 credit so the net effect is $85.

jay80z

Reaction score
I cannot believe that people are bickering over the price of this phone. With everything that it does? You no longer need to buy a GPS unit seperately from you phone. Seriously, people. It's more than worth the money, stop being a bunch of bickering tightasses.

if people are so tight on expenses, this may not be the phone they are looking for.

qoncept

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how it worked out PowerPlay, but here's the situation I was in:

I got an enV Touch for $100 with my credit. The Blackberry Curve would have been $50.

I realized the enV Touch was a worthless piece of crap and returned it 3 days later for the Curve. I walked out of the store with the phone and $15.

jweber

Reaction score
You can get your new every two back if you return a phone. I returned an enV Touch and I did get my NE2 back. But the new every two only counts towards a verizon purchase, but you can infact get it back. You also dont have to pay a restocking fee if you do not get another phone until after 3 days have past.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Gravity, the point I was making was the 25% in price difference, not the cost between a phone and a home. I am sorry that was too difficult for you to understand my point... you make it sound like everyone here wondering if they can get $50 are a bunch of whiners, my point is, not everyone balks at $50 in savings if there is a chance they can get that back. It's a 25% difference, that's a big difference. I don't assume your finances, but anyone to come blasting others for wanting $50 back.. to actually take the effort not to contribute to the OP conversation but instead insult people, must be well off enough to not care about a 25% difference in price regardless of the product and cost. It seems pointless for you to make a comment at all if you've got nothing to add to the thread.