Verizon Tech Rep Told Me To Root My Phone

AcridGosling

Reaction score
excuse me but you are partially right on the voiding warranty claim. Rooting will void it but returning to stock unvoids it as they have no way to tell if it was rooted if you delete any and all proof before sending it out for replacement or repairs.

Ok, at the risk of repeating myself, let me re-phrase. If you root, then need to do a warranty claim that involves your phone still working, then using the proper sbf file, sbfing back to unroot, then shipping back, yes that will work. However if you use the wrong file, or need to claim an uncorking phone (such as a broken data port) then you are screwed. You simply need to make your own risk assessment before proceedings.

Sent from my DROID2 OTA updated .621, non-rooted 2.3.4 :( R.I.P. root access

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
AcridGosling said:
Ok, at the risk of repeating myself, let me re-phrase. If you root, then need to do a warranty claim that involves your phone still working, then using the proper sbf file, sbfing back to unroot, then shipping back, yes that will work. However if you use the wrong file, or need to claim an uncorking phone (such as a broken data port) then you are screwed. You simply need to make your own risk assessment before proceedings.

Data port? How would rooting cause issues with warrenty regarding data ports? So you have no connection doesn't mean you can't do an sbf stock recovery anyway lol. Just means you have no data. Unless you mean USB port then in which case yeah you'd be screwed if yo were rooted but im sure there's some way around that...like downloading a flashable stock rom and flashing in recovery mode then deleting any and all files that could pose an issue. Obviously it would require either a bloated stock rom or debloated which requires manual download of bloatware then getting back on ota update track. Regardless of the risks there's always a way around it short of the whole phone being unable to actually turn on of course lmao.

AcridGosling

Reaction score
Data port? How would rooting cause issues with warrenty regarding data ports? So you have no connection doesn't mean you can't do an sbf stock recovery anyway lol. Just means you have no data. Unless you mean USB port then in which case yeah you'd be screwed

Lol, that's what I meant. There very well may be a way around it. I was just using that as an example. All I was trying to say was that you have to be aware of the potential risks.

draexo

Reaction score
Took my Bionic back to the Verizon store several times due to dropping data. The only way I could get it to re-acquire data was to power off and back on. Toggling airplane mode off and on and other possible solutions didn't work. After not finding any solution the Verizon Tech rep finally told me I should root my phone. That was a real suprise to me! I really haven't given much thought to rooting before so I only began looking at "how to" pages the past couple of days. One question is should I wait for the OTA .904 download or go ahead and root on .902?

I have been looking at the following instructions that includes safestrap:

[GUIDE][N00B] Step-By-Step UPDATE/ROOT/SAFESTRAP/ROM/RESTORE Instructions for Droid Bionic (4/14/12) - DROID BIONIC - droidHIVE Forums

Safestrap sounds very good and I see a lot of are people using it. For those who use or used safestrap would you consider it a good program for a person who is a noob to rooting to use? I have been researching but there is a great deal of info out there and with the ever-changing software and downloads some of it gets dated very quickly.

Thanks for any assistance!
Of course, the Verizon rep told me that Firefox was causing service drops and I should uninstall it....

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I would wait for the update to root. I think .904 is the version with the kernel you need to be able to run a lot of the ICS ROMs. I could also be mistaken >.>
I also think you should speak to another rep if you're still under the one year warranty to see what they say.

draexo

Reaction score
I would wait for the update to root. I think .904 is the version with the kernel you need to be able to run a lot of the ICS ROMs. I could also be mistaken >.>
I also think you should speak to another rep if you're still under the one year warranty to see what they say.

I do not see a problem in rooting now. I just do not understand why the rep would say that and why that would solve any problems. For me, the .902 update was HUGE. All my data problems WENT AWAY. Of course, I had to root to install .902 as it was a leaked update at that time. I would avoid the .904 update as there is now a .905 update and apparently no path from .904 to .905. Something must be coming officially soon. I hope!

wtomlinson

Reaction score
Rooting voids all warranty's, so if you are still under the warranty, speak to another Verizon Rep!!!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

When I bought mine, both the store supervisor and the sales guy that sold me the phone said they encourage rooting. They said if I ever need to bring it in for something, they'll just claim it as a software issue.

Virgo_Intacta

Reaction score
wtomlinson said:
When I bought mine, both the store supervisor and the sales guy that sold me the phone said they encourage rooting. They said if I ever need to bring it in for something, they'll just claim it as a software issue.

No freaking way! : O They advised that? And "software issue" is a good. My excuse was: I was downloading some apps and it froze, so when I restarted it the phone's Motorola logo screen was the only thing showing up which was indeed true.

Nonetheless, a simple mistake while rooting froze it up. But since I had Asurion on my Verizon unlimited plan, I got a new Droid Bionic back in no time which was a certified like-new phone which really angered me because I bought my first XT875 for $249.99 when swathed to unlimited familyshare plan...

But if I knew those reps could've given such advice about rooting something the wireless giant despise, I'd ask my nearest VZW store's for some advice too.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sort of related but not, a friend of mine that works for apple care has informed me that even if you jail break you iPhone, now its covered by apple care.

Provided I didn't misunderstand, then I think that rooting should start to be covered by android manufacturers. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Virgo_Intacta

Reaction score
VZW and Motorola as well as the other manufactures should consider that too.

Sort of related but not, a friend of mine that works for apple care has informed me that even if you jail break you iPhone, now its covered by apple care.

Provided I didn't misunderstand, then I think that rooting should start to be covered by android manufacturers. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I concur. Android users should definitely be covered because we spend lots of dinero on those smartphones. That'd be cool.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
The thing is. For the most part rooted phones can easily be restored to get warrenty back on the device. Even though I agree it should be covered regardless iPhones to my understanding aren't easily recovered once jailbroken if something goes wrong. But meh it would be nice either way.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The thing is. For the most part rooted phones can easily be restored to get warrenty back on the device. Even though I agree it should be covered regardless iPhones to my understanding aren't easily recovered once jailbroken if something goes wrong. But meh it would be nice either way.

Agreed :D

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!