Verizon Tech Rep Told Me To Root My Phone

ncridgerunner

Reaction score
Took my Bionic back to the Verizon store several times due to dropping data. The only way I could get it to re-acquire data was to power off and back on. Toggling airplane mode off and on and other possible solutions didn't work. After not finding any solution the Verizon Tech rep finally told me I should root my phone. That was a real suprise to me! I really haven't given much thought to rooting before so I only began looking at "how to" pages the past couple of days. One question is should I wait for the OTA .904 download or go ahead and root on .902?

I have been looking at the following instructions that includes safestrap:

[GUIDE][N00B] Step-By-Step UPDATE/ROOT/SAFESTRAP/ROM/RESTORE Instructions for Droid Bionic (4/14/12) - DROID BIONIC - droidHIVE Forums

Safestrap sounds very good and I see a lot of are people using it. For those who use or used safestrap would you consider it a good program for a person who is a noob to rooting to use? I have been researching but there is a great deal of info out there and with the ever-changing software and downloads some of it gets dated very quickly.

Thanks for any assistance!

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting voids all warranty's, so if you are still under the warranty, speak to another Verizon Rep!!!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

AcridGosling

Reaction score
Rooting voids all warranty's, so if you are still under the warranty, speak to another Verizon Rep!!!

Absolutely. I don't even know why they would suggest it. I would make sure that phone is *cringe* *cough* updated....... yes I said updated...... and call the warranty claim hotline number who may have a solution. 1-866-406-5154 (taken from my charging cable)

Sent from my DROID2 OTA updated .621, non-rooted 2.3.4 :( R.I.P. root access

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Root and enjoy the freedom. I'm not familiar with your phone so you may not have all the benefits of others. That's mostly focused around locked boot loaders.

At the very least a fresh ROM should give you freedom from the bloat-ware and that can improve battery and speed/responsiveness.

Its simple enough to return your phone to factory specs if you need to. Read more and make a well informed decision. Don't do it (or not do it) based solely on advice. Get educated, weigh your options and make the informed decision.

You'll do well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AcridGosling

Reaction score
Root and enjoy the freedom. ........ Don't do it (or not do it) based solely on advice. Get educated, weigh your options and make the informed decision.

Well said. As you can see by my sig, I miss root very much. But I always had the sbf file on my pc to rsd back onto my phone if I had to do a warranty claim.

Keep in mind, IN MY OPINION, it is highly unlikely that a rooted phone will fix a data connectivity issue. It sounds more like a hardware fault than software. I don't think a custom rom and root will fix that issue....... I think it needs to be sent back in.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not the device, and it's not the fact that it is not rooted. The problem is Verizon's LTE network. In some areas, it is rock solid. In other areas, data issues are rampant. Look in the subforum for ANY LTE device on Verizon, and you will see people having data issues. The LTE network is still a work in progress, and it seems like every time they bring new sites online, new issues crop up.

AcridGosling

Reaction score
It's not the device, and it's not the fact that it is not rooted. The problem is Verizon's LTE network. In some areas, it is rock solid. In other areas, data issues are rampant. Look in the subforum for ANY LTE device on Verizon, and you will see people having data issues. The LTE network is still a work in progress, and it seems like every time they bring new sites online, new issues crop up.

I wasn't even thinking that route. I live near buffalo, ny and we have a very stable LTE network. But we were also one of the test areas before going public. I wonder if theres a custom rom to force just 3g..... that's deffinately out of my knowledge area.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
. I wonder if theres a custom rom to force just 3g..... that's deffinately out of my knowledge area.

You can do that by going to Menu>Settings>Wireless & network settings>Network mode. Change the setting from CMDA/LTE to CMDA only. I think there's a couple of widgets that'll do that too.

I live in San Diego, which was one of the first cities to get 4G. I personally have had no data problems whatever the version was. As others have said, it seems unlikely that rooting will solve the data problem. I'm not rooted, but I know that it's useful for many things. I haven't heard of it solving the data issue, though.

OP
N

ncridgerunner

Reaction score
Lte is not available in my area. I live on top of a hill where I can get a signal. At the bottom of the hill is a dead zone. Every day after I drive through the dead zone my phone will not re-connect to the 3g available in my area. At other times during the day the phone must be powered down and restarted so I suspect I may have temporarily lost signal at some point. It is frustrating to have to keep powering down and up to get back to data.

ArmyMP98

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone, but before rooting, I moved the bloatware to a folder in my app drawer...After rooting, I downloaded root explorer and removed some of the bloatware that was on the phone..forgetting that I had most of them in a separate folder in the app drawer, after I went into root explorer and moved them to the SD card I went back to check if they were gone and they answer is yes, but I still had them in my folder I created before rooting. Now I released them out of the folder and they are back in my app drawer but when I go back to the root explorer under apps they are not in there, they are on the sd card ext where I put them..hope somebody can help that is not to confused on what i did

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
Maybe just try a new SIM card? Also with rooting the phone, I agree. Read ALOT of information about it and don't let anyone else experiences sway your desicion to root or not. The people that have had experiences though I'm sure will be more than willing to help if you decide to root! :)

AcridGosling

Reaction score
Maybe just try a new SIM card? Also with rooting the phone, I agree. Read ALOT of information about it and don't let anyone else experiences sway your desicion to root or not. The people that have had experiences though I'm sure will be more than willing to help if you decide to root! :)

Yup. More than willing to assist with the understanding that they are not responsible for consequences. This forum is designed around trying to help 1 another.

I just rooted my phone, but before rooting, I moved the bloatware to a folder in my app drawer...After rooting, I downloaded root explorer and removed some of the bloatware that was on the phone..forgetting that I had most of them in a separate folder in the app drawer, after I went into root explorer and moved them to the SD card I went back to check if they were gone and they answer is yes, but I still had them in my folder I created before rooting. Now I released them out of the folder and they are back in my app drawer but when I go back to the root explorer under apps they are not in there, they are on the sd card ext where I put them..hope somebody can help that is not to confused on what i did

Very strange i'll admit, but seeing as this thread is not for that issue, I would reccommend starting a new thread where it can be seen by all members. That's how you get an answer. Posting an unrelated topic in the wrong thread is a good way to be ignored as spam. Since I assume you would lime a possible fix, I would start a new thread. :cool:

draexo

Reaction score

There are ways that remove all traces of root should you need to return the phone.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
excuse me but you are partially right on the voiding warranty claim. Rooting will void it but returning to stock unvoids it as they have no way to tell if it was rooted if you delete any and all proof before sending it out for replacement or repairs.