Verizon Suspends KitKat Update for Droid Ultra/Maxx & Mini Due to Bricking Reports

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-ultra-series-vzw.jpg

Just a few days before Christmas Verizon announced that the Android 4.4 KitKat update was rolling out in phases. Unfortunately, it looks like Verizon is having to suspend the rollout because a number of users have reported that it bricked their device. Big Red didn't officially announce they were stopping the update, but users haven't seen any new rollouts in quite some time since they first started. Also, it looks like Verizon is working with members of their Feedback Network to work things out.

It's interesting that their initial rollout went out to a mixture of soak testers and some folks who were not signed up for the test. Apparently they wanted to hit a wide variety of folks for the test. It's a good thing they are rolling it out in stages for issues just like this. Feel free to share if you are one of the unlucky folks who experienced this issue. We will keep an eye on things and let you know when something changes.

S

SFGate

Although I am certain this is being done for the convenience of the carrier, it is also in the best interest of the consumers. Hope they are able to iron things out quickly.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
They seem to be making a (bad) habit of having to halt updates on various devices. No fun for them or the users.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with my working maxx. And we already have google now running full force. I don't mind waiting. And not having my phone bricked by Verizon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Looks like the rollout might just be back on soon....A little birdie told me

Sent from my Droid Maxx

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Who is your birdie?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Guess I was fortunate? My maxx is a screamin machine on kk..running dalvik..not ART.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Looks like the rollout might just be back on soon....A little birdie told me

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Cool. I suppose there will be a version that will resolve the bricked ones too? I'm still getting those stop errors too.