Android 4.4 KitKat for Moto DROID Maxx, Ultra and Mini Resume Limited Rollout

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-phones-verizon-635.jpg

At the end of last month/year, Verizon had to quickly yank the Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Motorola Droid Ultra, MAXX and Mini. Apparently a nasty bug had slipped through initial testing and was "bricking" some folks' devices. Luckily, the engineers of both companies have been working diligently to rectify the issue. We have now been hearing reports from users that the update is rolling out again in limited batches to soak testers and more.

It doesn't appear to be a wide rollout, but more than just the soak testers are getting it. For folks who want to manually see if they can get the update, you just need to startup your WiFi and then go to Settings > About Phone > System Update. It's important to note that even though this is KitKat, it won't include all of the same features you can get on the Nexus 5. Verizon’s devices will still keep the Jelly Bean-style dialer, the blue status icons, and the Jelly Bean home-screen. Everything else KitKat related should be intact. Sound off if you are one of the lucky folks to get this.

mackiv

Reaction score
My gf got it last night on her ultra, and she has a neat new alarm clock app, but no other noticeable changes to the UI so far. I "asked" my maxx for it just now and its download ing ATM.

faded1

Reaction score
Got the update this morning after manually checking my Droid Maxx. So far, no issues and everything is as reported.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Just downloaded kit Kat.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

nubia

Reaction score
Can we go ahead and install while being rooted and not lose root? Temp un root install then restore root

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mackiv

Reaction score
Kikat is awesome so far. Subtle changes appreciated and the camera is much better!

R

RETG

Downloaded but won't load until later (maybe months later). However, happy to see that Verizon kept some of the JB features. Too leery of updates, I'll wait to see how it goes. Besides, KK is not a big deal over JB.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It was a pretty short soak test, about 2 days I believe. I'm not really having any issues with the update, except occasionally when I back arrow out of an app, a quick glimpse of an app opened hours previous will pop up before going back to the home screen.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Monshroud

Reaction score
I got the update yesterday on my Droid Maxx. I haven't been following what most of the advancements in KitKat are so I don't know what to really be looking for. I can also confirm a new Alarm / Clock app. Using the Google Play music app now shows the album artwork full screen as your lock screen background. I personally like that. The Google Now app also got an update. I am seeing a higher amount of recommendations than I was previously.

They mentioned some camera updates. I will be taking some photos this weekend while I am out to compare to other similar photos I have taken. I do hope to see an image quality increase. Compared to other phones out there I really feel that Moto is still behind when it comes to overall image quality.

Galeyn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Has anyone tested FoxFi on Kitkat yet? The creators of FoxFi (PdaNet) told me it Verizon has shut off the ability to use FoxFi and that they (PdaNet) are 'looking for any possible solution'.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tested FoxFi on Kitkat yet? The creators of FoxFi (PdaNet) told me it Verizon has shut off the ability to use FoxFi and that they (PdaNet) are 'looking for any possible solution'.

Nope, I have no reason to, I have the Share plan :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx

drtj80

Reaction score

Usually PDANet/FoxFi will find a solution within a couple of weeks of a new OS. Happened with me when updated last year. Now have to have a screen password for FoxFi to work. Has anyone installed the maintenance update & still able to use FoxFi lately?

allmotor

Reaction score
Ditto I rack 30gigs a month but now no more.. Foxfi and kitkat 4.4 do not likey likely. Hope xda puts a new foxfi update out soon.