Verizon support rep warns against updating froyo to Droid 1 for battery drain concern

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Well, I stopped by my Verizon store's tech area on the way home Friday evening and, sure enough, they're FedEx-ing me yet another Droid 1. This will be my fourth. The worst part is that Verizon says their swap-out policy changed six months ago. When I asked about possibly getting a Droid 2 in exchange if I had the same problems with my incoming Droid, they said that they're not allowed to do that anymore. I'd have to just keep getting Droid 1 replacements until they run dry or until the year of my warranty coverage is up. It seems like they've suddenly got a ton of them in stock again which is strange considering they were running out a couple of weeks ago. So, I'll just have to hope the fourth time's the charm for me.

Their sudden increase in D1 stock are the returned units for battery and other issues that they have made into refurbs. They saw the number of units being returned and prob changed policy. This let's them avoid replacing with Dinc's or Dx or D2 units.

Their software problems are ultimately saving their exchange program tons of cash. Ironic, huh?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
My point: everybody and every Droid is going to be RADICALLY different with respect to heat and battery life. Period. Use it more, have more crap running, fiddle with it alot, play games... like me: HOT and CRAP BATTERY LIFE.
Use it as a phone, SMS system, add discs to Netflix queue and occasionally read news stories like my wife: Doesn't heat up and battery easily goes a full day.

This is the benefit... and the curse... of living in a semi-free environment (i.e. not living in Apple's walled garden).

Just my opinion, of course. :)

True, I agree, but there's a difference between two people using their phones differently and one person using one phone the same way before and after an OS upgrade. Phone was fine on 2.1, but 2.2 killed its longevity. Heck, the thing even died on me while sitting idle under 2.2 which it never did under 2.1.

Reaction score
When I went to FRG01b, my battery life was horrible. With FRG22D, however, it it MUCH better. Has anyone else noticed that?

Panamakevin

Reaction score
I just got my refurb'd D1 yesterday preloaded with 2.2, It runs somewhat hot... It froze and crashed a few times yesterday after and once today... I am going to hang on to it for a few more days to see if it starts running better... hopefully so, i don't want to get into some of the exchange battles I keep hearing about...

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
I just heard that my replacement arrived at my apartment complex a few minutes ago. I guess I'll find out how it is after work this evening.

denisju

Reaction score
I posted this a page ago or so... GO to a Verizon corporate retail store. Tell them the issues. They can flash a working froyo update to your phone that will not cause you to have these problems. I have flashed around 30 and it has fixed all issues that I know of.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Got home from work yesterday and powered up the new refurb. Looks like it was preloaded with FRG01B (yay!). Activated it, messed around with it a bit to make sure it worked, then did a factory reset, activated it again, and set the phone up via the step-by-step method (slide out the keyboard, sign in to Google, sync, etc) to let it repopulate my missing apps, then restored my old settings from MyBackup Pro. So far, so good. It's not getting excessively warm, but I'll still need to test the battery life. Haven't bothered to root it yet, nor have I yet received the FRG22D OTA notification either. I did have to run to the Verizon store to get some new screen protectors, and I was SO glad to see that Verizon finally changed them so that they're only meant to fit over the viewable part of the screen instead of covering the entire face of the unit like the old ones. Those never seemed to fit quite right without tweaking...

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Well, I haben't had time to do any extensive battery testing yet, but my power level did drop by 20% just during an hour commute home listening to Pandora while doing some browsing with the screen on auto-brightness. And the warmth returned again. I, naturally, can't say this is yet proof of an issue and I'll be able to do more extensive testing during the upcoming holiday weekend. Perhaps, like for some others, a battery drain or two will settle it down, though I honestly don't see why that works at times. Although not many apps are running in the background, I'm going to start uninstalling a few that I don't use as regularly, just in case...

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, I haben't had time to do any extensive battery testing yet, but my power level did drop by 20% just during an hour commute home listening to Pandora while doing some browsing with the screen on auto-brightness. And the warmth returned again. I, naturally, can't say this is yet proof of an issue and I'll be able to do more extensive testing during the upcoming holiday weekend. Perhaps, like for some others, a battery drain or two will settle it down, though I honestly don't see why that works at times. Although not many apps are running in the background, I'm going to start uninstalling a few that I don't use as regularly, just in case...

FYI, you do realize that Pandora is a streaming Music, therefore you are using your Data connection along with doing browsing on an hour commute. The processor is going to 'heat up' for doing the streaming and web browsing. That alone will definitely chew up some battery life as well pumping data requests and decoding incoming data stream.

Azurikai

Reaction score
from my general knowledge, Verizon reps don't konw as much as most of us forum surfers know. They're not droid professionals, so don't take their word on things, come to sources like droidforums or droidsync to get the real awnsers.

keiichi25

Reaction score
from my general knowledge, Verizon reps don't konw as much as most of us forum surfers know. They're not droid professionals, so don't take their word on things, come to sources like droidforums or droidsync to get the real awnsers.

Well, most reps aren't hired to be techs. They are hired to sell phones and provide customer service. The people you want in a Verizon location, preferably in one of their big stores, is their tech people, usually, the ones further away from the actual main floor who you often see go into the back to check on things. Those are the ones who are more responsible for looking at the finer details.

The Reps on the floor will only know some basics, but should be referring you to their techs in back.

Now if you are in one of the malls with the 'hole in the wall' type sections, not a nice 40 to 80 square foot mall section (Basically, if you only see a few phones, versus most of their phones, you are in one of their satellite branches), you will want to ask them where their closest corporate stores are.

The smaller mall places are there for presence, but if you want good tech help, you are looking for one of their big corporate stores, where they have a bigger showing of all their available phones and services.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On the news yesterday they were talking about that new 4g phone that Sprint has out and I laughed so hard when the rep said, come into the store, we can bring you up to speed, show you what you need to download and you'll be just as smart as us.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

MrC1122

Reaction score
On the news yesterday they were talking about that new 4g phone that Sprint has out and I laughed so hard when the rep said, come into the store, we can bring you up to speed, show you what you need to download and you'll be just as smart as us.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

"now that's funny stuff right thurr...i don't care who you are":rofl3:

you should have told them to come here to get up to speed, show them what to download, then they can be as smart as us!