Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Gets an Update Which Fixes Bugs and Adds More Bloatware

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gnote3-vzw-update-dec-2013.png

Ahh, Verizon... how we appreciate your consistency. The Big Red version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 just received a new update. Happily, it fixes quite a few bugs which needed squashing. Sadly, it also adds a hot pocket of new Verizon bloatware to the device as well.

Here's a breakdown of the bug fixes:
  • Incoming call displays Picture Me on screen when using Call Waiting
  • Handwriting data entry issue for email and SMS messages has been resolved
  • Email sync issue has been fixed and connectivity has been improved
  • Bluetooth Audio continues after a call is finished
  • Mobile Hotspot reliability has been improved
  • Samsung keyboard crash issue has been resolved
  • Notification Panel responsiveness has been improved
  • Connectivity and sound quality improved
Here's a list of the new bloatware:
  • New MyInfoZone widget
  • VMware app
  • An updated version of the Verizon Support & Protection app
  • The Verizon Cloud app
Well... at least we can appreciate their desire to take care of those nagging little issues and improve a few features.

Source: Verizon

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I personally, love the MyInfoZone widget. At a glance I can see my battery percentage, storage, account, support, and the once a week I get little tips on the phone

Sent from my Droid Maxx

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Reports coming from XDA members for those that are rooted ...they took update and were able to re root with Kingo

N3 tapa

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I wonder if Survival Mode in SuperSU will work...

We do have confirmation someone did successful. .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48352405&postcount=53

I'd wait for more confirmations. .

I can't get the update to take... Gonna have to spend more time on this. I would still hold off on this update, there is some good Development going on, I know for one Beantown106 is digging through the OTA.

Just some observations though it looks like the SELinux status stays at Permissive which is great news. That was my main concern, as anything else other than a Permissive state results in loss of Safestrap Recovery. A loss of Safestrap essentially means that we would lose the ability to make backups and have flashing capabilities, such as flashing ROMs and the use of the Slots. This is certainly not anywhere in a direction that we want to go. Since, I haven't been able to get the update to work, I haven't tested the (Theory 1st of) SuperSU Pro it was [disable Superuser] & [enable Survival mode] here's confirmation that it works. So, this is good news so far, but please hold off, until we have more people start confirming that this works, that the errors others have noticed can be repaired, and those of us that are unable to easily take the update can find a simpler solution to get this update to install, with Root, with Safestrap, and everything working the way it should. Thanks!:biggrin:

I wish they would update the note 2.

8th Infantry division

it's knocking on the door steps. .lol

N3 tapa

NOVICE

Reaction score
Just took the update successfully. But screen froze. Capacitive buttons worked but no go with the screen.

Finally pulled battery and restarted without a problem.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can they at least give us the full version of knox for crying out loud. What is a disgrace, 2 months now and they still haven't released it.

Batman8

Reaction score
I would also like to see if more people are confirming that the Survival Mode of SuperUser works for keeping root after updating! Please let us know. Thanks.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I wonder if Survival Mode in SuperSU will work...

We do have confirmation someone did successful. .

xda-developers - View Single Post - Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Set to Receive an Update

I'd wait for more confirmations. .

it's knocking on the door steps. .lol

N3 tapa

I would also like to see if more people are confirming that the Survival Mode of SuperUser works for keeping root after updating! Please let us know. Thanks.

Just took the update on my rooted Note 3 - I do not use SafeStrap nor did I have anything custom other than some xPosed tweaks...I unfroze the SDM 1.0 apk, disabled SU in the SuperSU app and enabled "survival mode"...update downloaded, installed and rebooted fine. Then I went back and made the changes in SuperSU and froze SMD 1.0 - all is good thus far.