Verizon Replacement/Droid Problem!

imp4pdabest

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to attempt to make this as short & simple as possible:

I purchased my first Droid in January, brand new of course, and it performed amazingly! A month later, I accidentally cracked the screen & had to pay the $50 deductible for a replacement. VZW sent me a brand new device(#2) with battery and SD card. This device performed great but had a hardware issue where all of my friends of all home & cellular carriers, including VZW, constantly complained my voice sounded like it was echoing. I called VZW, the tech confirmed this issue, & they replaced Droid #2 at no charge. They sent me a refurb(#3), it looked pretty nice & performed great for about 3 months, and than it developed some hardware issues; The screen would take about 3 seconds to rotate, would take about 10 seconds to refresh my home menu and the app menu button would not work most of the time. I called VZW, they told me it was a hardware issue, they sent me another replacement. So now I'm on Droid #4, and I noticed immediately this device is being very laggy. Takes numerous attempts to get the unlock to finally slide, app menu won't work sometimes, I press one app and a completely different app opens up. I approached a friend that works at VZW, he told me to master reset and don't download any apps. I tried that, and it's still laggy. Last night I couldn't use my Droid at all because it kept opening different apps and just going all over the place. Called VZW last night, the tech told me I must be installing buggy apps, which can't be true if I didn't install any apps on this device. And all the apps I previously had, all my Droid friends have and they've experienced 0 hardware issues with their Droids.

So now I'm waiting for Droid #5 to arrive next week. I'm planning on going to VZW store today to show them how laggy this device is. All I want is the exact same device VZW displays in their store, the same exact device I signed a 2yr contract for. I'm not trying to be picky because it's a refurb, but these refurbs just seem to all have hardware issues. It's embarrassing & frustrating to have numerous friends with Droids, BB's & iPhones taking turns showing how cool their devices are, while I'm over here basically unable to use the internet or txt because for every button I press, the device responds totally wrong.

Is there any advice anyone can give me in regards to dealing with this situation? I'm convinced I need a brand new in box device, is there any steps I can take to receive a new device?

Any comments, suggestions or questions are appreciated. Thanks people!

justreboot

Reaction score
If you have gone thru 5 Droids in 6 months it may be worth arguing that you can get a new model (cough cough x?)....

bje1982

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to attempt to make this as short & simple as possible:

I purchased my first Droid in January, brand new of course, and it performed amazingly! A month later, I accidentally cracked the screen & had to pay the $50 deductible for a replacement. VZW sent me a brand new device(#2) with battery and SD card. This device performed great but had a hardware issue where all of my friends of all home & cellular carriers, including VZW, constantly complained my voice sounded like it was echoing. I called VZW, the tech confirmed this issue, & they replaced Droid #2 at no charge. They sent me a refurb(#3), it looked pretty nice & performed great for about 3 months, and than it developed some hardware issues; The screen would take about 3 seconds to rotate, would take about 10 seconds to refresh my home menu and the app menu button would not work most of the time. I called VZW, they told me it was a hardware issue, they sent me another replacement. So now I'm on Droid #4, and I noticed immediately this device is being very laggy. Takes numerous attempts to get the unlock to finally slide, app menu won't work sometimes, I press one app and a completely different app opens up. I approached a friend that works at VZW, he told me to master reset and don't download any apps. I tried that, and it's still laggy. Last night I couldn't use my Droid at all because it kept opening different apps and just going all over the place. Called VZW last night, the tech told me I must be installing buggy apps, which can't be true if I didn't install any apps on this device. And all the apps I previously had, all my Droid friends have and they've experienced 0 hardware issues with their Droids.

So now I'm waiting for Droid #5 to arrive next week. I'm planning on going to VZW store today to show them how laggy this device is. All I want is the exact same device VZW displays in their store, the same exact device I signed a 2yr contract for. I'm not trying to be picky because it's a refurb, but these refurbs just seem to all have hardware issues. It's embarrassing & frustrating to have numerous friends with Droids, BB's & iPhones taking turns showing how cool their devices are, while I'm over here basically unable to use the internet or txt because for every button I press, the device responds totally wrong.

Is there any advice anyone can give me in regards to dealing with this situation? I'm convinced I need a brand new in box device, is there any steps I can take to receive a new device?

Any comments, suggestions or questions are appreciated. Thanks people!

They probably will just keep replacing your phone over and over and they are all going to be "certified like new" devices. If you call Verizon and explain the situation they might make an exception for you but youd have to call. Also its Assurion thats giving you these replacements now correct? Im pretty sure that if you get an insurance replacement the warranty then becomes Assurions problem so you might want to find out the deal on that. Theres not much more to say other than I feel your pain because Id probably have to take personal time from work if I had to deal with not being able to use my Droid lol :)

Edit: Yes you could argue with them too but dont expect them to do anything other than what they are bound to.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have gone thru 5 Droids in 6 months it may be worth arguing that you can get a new model (cough cough x?)....

No, that's not the solution. The OP would have the same issues.

The problem really isn't with the Droid. What the OP is describing as hardware issues are more likely apps causing issues with his OS. OP, do you have any virus protection or task killers? If so I recommend getting rid of them. Also simple things like turing your Droid off and on will also help.

In almost every case I've seen of multiple returns like this it has to do with the person who owns the Droid not really understanding how the OS works. OP I'm not saying that in any attempt to put you down, far from it, I'm just sharing my experience of what I've seen from others who have had issues like this.

One or two Droids could be bad. But 4 or 5? I don't think so.

OP
I

imp4pdabest

Reaction score

True. Though I'd prefer to have a physical keyboard, the new kid on the block does perform even better, Had a chance to play with it for about 2 hrs last week, pretty nice. But overall, that's really not my goal. I mean, I fell in love with the Droid, and it was great to me. All I want is a properly working Droid and I'll be satisfied. But I appreciate your suggestion, and I will go for it.

bje1982

Reaction score

The problem really isn't with the Droid. What the OP is describing as hardware issues are more likely apps causing issues with his OS. OP, do you have any virus protection or task killers? If so I recommend getting rid of them. Also simple things like turing your Droid off and on will also help.

In almost every case I've seen of multiple returns like this it has to do with the person who owns the Droid not really understanding how the OS works. OP I'm not saying that in any attempt to put you down, far from it, I'm just sharing my experience of what I've seen from others who have had issues like this.

He did take the right steps on one of the replacements by not installing any 3rd party apps to see if it was the issue but yes that is usually the case I deal with it everyday. It really just sounds like some bad luck lol The best thing would be to call and fight with Verizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

bje1982

Reaction score
the same thing has happened to me, I'm on my 4th (3rd refurb) and every one of them had some issue with it within the first month. It looks like i've finally found a keeper, but it's taken a while. But the thing that drives me crazy is every time i call customer service the pretty much tell me it's something I'm doing because apparently in their eyes i enjoy having to reinstall all my apps and ship my old phone back to them.
If I start having problems with this one I am going to go in there and demand either a brand new droid, or the X, even though I highly doubt they'd let me upgrade for this reason alone.

Happens all the time in my store with any smartphone. customers constantly come in and say "my blackberries a piece of crap" and it always ends up being operator error.

Last edited by a moderator:

cromo8

Reaction score
it should work, on the 15th im gonna call to demand a different model for myself because im on my 5th droid as well and this one is laggy, and when i try to scroll up and down my screen too quickly by like swyping it zooms instead, which kinda sucks

and they are usually very helpful when it comes to that

OP
I

imp4pdabest

Reaction score

No offense taken at all. I appreciate your advice. But this device I'm on right now, I just received it Wednesday afternoon. I decided to take my friends advice and keep it completely stock for a week, and than install one app at a time, and play with the device for a while before I install another app. Well, that plan got derailed last night when the device just started really acting up. After a little over a day of having this device, it started acting up, which was yesterday around 4pm. And remind you, I haven't installed any apps at all, only thing I did was sync and pair my Jawbone, that is all. After about 3 hrs of the device being off, I turned it on at about 7pm and it was still acting up. So I call VZW, they tell me to master reset. Only issues I had after the master reset was the app menu taking like 3 seconds to open, and after exiting an app by tapping my home button, it would take like 5 seconds for my home screen to fully appear. Let me remind you, I have dozens of friends & co-workers that have Droids and other Android devices, when I play with their devices, their devices perform flawlessly. And I have one buddy that has over 200 apps on his device, problem free and very fast still.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets watch the language people. Blanking out a letter doesn't mean you aren't using the word.

Thank you.

bje1982

Reaction score
it should work, on the 15th im gonna call to demand a different model for myself because im on my 5th droid as well and this one is laggy, and when i try to scroll up and down my screen too quickly by like swyping it zooms instead, which kinda sucks

and they are usually very helpful when it comes to that

Dont hold your breath.. Do you know how many people think that when the X is released there going to call and make a stink and get sent an X ? A few lucky people might but not likely. 9 times out of 10 your going to get the same phone as a replacemnt through warranty.

Edit: Sorry for the language Hook :)

OP
I

imp4pdabest

Reaction score
Being honest, and I might sound crazy, but I'd prefer to have my Droid over the X. I'm just a guy that demands a physical keyboard. But at the same time, I've played with Incredibles and the X for a few hours, and I like the on screen keyboard much more than the Storm, which is the device that completely drove me away from devices without keyboards. I'm not trying to scam VZW over get a freebie, I honestly just want a perfect Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No offense taken at all. I appreciate your advice. But this device I'm on right now, I just received it Wednesday afternoon. I decided to take my friends advice and keep it completely stock for a week, and than install one app at a time, and play with the device for a while before I install another app. Well, that plan got derailed last night when the device just started really acting up. After a little over a day of having this device, it started acting up, which was yesterday around 4pm. And remind you, I haven't installed any apps at all, only thing I did was sync and pair my Jawbone, that is all. After about 3 hrs of the device being off, I turned it on at about 7pm and it was still acting up. So I call VZW, they tell me to master reset. Only issues I had after the master reset was the app menu taking like 3 seconds to open, and after exiting an app by tapping my home button, it would take like 5 seconds for my home screen to fully appear. Let me remind you, I have dozens of friends & co-workers that have Droids and other Android devices, when I play with their devices, their devices perform flawlessly. And I have one buddy that has over 200 apps on his device, problem free and very fast still.

It just boggles my mind. I've seen many people get Droids and stepped them through it and an adjustment here or there and problem solved.

You sound though like you didn't just step off a Droid boat so to speak. I suppose it's possible. I don't know what else to say. If it was me I'd be looking at another device too, I'd be discouraged.

bje1982

Reaction score
Being honest, and I might sound crazy, but I'd prefer to have my Droid over the X. I'm just a guy that demands a physical keyboard. But at the same time, I've played with Incredibles and the X for a few hours, and I like the on screen keyboard much more than the Storm, which is the device that completely drove me away from devices without keyboards. I'm not trying to scam VZW over get a freebie, I honestly just want a perfect Droid.

I know your not trying to scam anyone but trust me theres alot of people that do try lol But just call and fight with them the worst they can say is no.