Verizon Remote Diagnostics is running on my phone. Why?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
We use Google based operating systems. Google started off as a search engine (key word SEARCH) that has morphed into something much more intrusive and possibly nefarious if misused by the wrong sets of eyes. WE happily give Google permission to intrude into our lives every time we use anything Google based. What they do with that intrusion is still debated frequently but nonetheless WE do it voluntarily on a daily basis.
Using Google anything and then complaining about unknown sources and unwanted intrusions is like eating fast food exclusively then complaining about being fat and feeling like garbage all the time.
e63d9ed86d24b40d21fd18de9981a80e.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I hate to quibble with you friend (who'm I kidding, I love to quibble), but Google started out as an ADVERTISING company. They created the search engine for one simple reason, to collect data on what people are looking for, so they could sell advertising in the appropriate areas.

They made their search engine ridiculously simple and easy to use and super powerful so more and more people would use it and therefore, they'd get more free data.

They've always been collecting information about us, as seen in the thread on this forum with 6 links to show you exactly what Google knows about you. The more they know about consumers, the easier it is for them to sell ads and more ads and maybe even a bit of demographic info on the side.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
What many people forget is there are many other ways for your smartphone to be compromised than by simply downloading apps. Visiting nefarious websites, opening unknown text messages & emails & clicking on unknown links. Too many people focus on apps as the main source for viruses or malware, when in reality, that's only one method of "infection".

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
But one thing is for sure.. At least thus far... If you're worried about being compromised.. Do a factory data reset.. That will put you back to a stock image.. Just throwing that out there

badbiosvictim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid 4
Contrary to the article I cited earlier, Verizon Remote Diagnostic is similar to Carrier Q. Both are spyware installed and exploited by cell carriers. Both can be installed and exploited by hackers. Carrier IQ was recognized as spyware. So too should Verizon Remote Diagnostics. It is inexcusable that users cannot remove it.

I had not discussed other hacking evidence because my policy is to stay on the OP's topic of the thread I am replying to. [edited by staff] I will provide more evidence of hacking.

While my phone is charging, the screen has:

"AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.77
eMMC Info: size 16G
To return to normal mode first press power
Device is LOCKED. Status: 0

Battery low
Cannot program
Connect USB
Data cable

Screenshot is at Fastboot flash mode droid 4 - Imgur

Performing a factory reset did not remove it nor the other spyware. Factory reset does not restore to factory stock ROM. ROM can be flashed to a tampered ROM. See photo of ROM flashing. Factory reset restores hacked flashed ROM.

Every time after I turn on my Droid 4, an error message pops up:
"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

Volume for ringtones and notifications is muted. I cannot unmute.

I downloaded handynotes from f-droid.org. I moved two 1x1 handynotes widgets to my home screen. I typed to dos on them. Hackers removed both handynotes.

Hackers deleted some of the apps I downloaded from f-droid.org from sdcard0.

Last edited:

badbiosvictim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid 4
Misinformation on why not to delete Verizon Remote Diagnostics, Motorola SmartActions and Motorola Vehicle Mode. They are not required by other apps.

If apps are dependent on other apps, there would be disclosure. Linux has dependencies disclosures.

I use only open source apps. I have the right to delete closed source unnecessary apps running in the background, using battery and spying.

badbiosvictim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid 4
You misrepresented closed source proprietary apps are more secure. The opposite is true. Open source apps are less likely to be infected, have a backdoor and spy. I only use open source apps. I dont use GAPPS (Google apps). I dont have a google account. Google is a member of PRISM.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Using Google anything and then complaining about unknown sources and unwanted intrusions is like eating fast food exclusively then complaining about being fat and feeling like garbage all the time.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

...Or like complaining that they serve fast food, you know it's bad for you and yet you can't help yourself and eat it anyway.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Contrary to the article I cited earlier, Verizon Remote Diagnostic is similar to Carrier Q. Both are spyware installed and exploited by cell carriers. Both can be installed and exploited by hackers. Carrier Q was recognized as spyware. So too should Verizon Remote Diagnostics. It is inexcusable that users cannot remove it.

I had not discussed other hacking evidence because my policy is to stay on the OP's topic of the thread I am replying to. I will provide more evidence of hacking.

While my phone is charging, the screen has:

"AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.77
eMMC Info: size 16 GB
To return to normal mode first press power
Device is LOCKED. Status: 0

Battery low
Cannot program
Connect USB
Data cableN

Screenshot is at Fastboot flash mode droid 4 - Imgur

Performing a factory reset did not remove it nor the other spyware. Factory reset does not restore to factory stock ROM. ROM can be flashed to a tampered ROM. See photo of ROM flashing. Factory reset restores hacked flashed ROM.

Every time after I turn on my Droid 4, an error message pops up:
"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

Volume for ringtones and notifications is muted. I cannot unmute.

I downloaded handynotes from f-droid.org. I moved two 1x1 handynotes widgets to my home screen. I typed to dos on them. Hackers removed both handynotes.

Hackers deleted some of the apps I downloaded from f-droid.org from sdcard0.

Please take note here, there is the very real possibility that you could be suffering from a virus or other form of infiltration. As I mentioned before, downloading ANYTHING from third party app hosting sites places you at risk of getting a virus or other malware. Google scans EVERY app file and makes sure they are clean. You can't be sure of the same from these other sites. I would refrain from downloading anything that's not hosted on Google (or Amazon.com - also safe but really not necessary).

Also, if your phone is showing the fastboot screen while simply charging, then your OS is corrupt. I would rather you simply flash the ORIGINAL OS back over this phone and start fresh. There is a very nice utility written by a tremendously talented individual and huge advocate of the Android community, Matt L Groff, which lets you flash the OS overtop of the one on there now, and it will put the phone back to stock if you choose the "Wipe" option. You can opt for no "Wipe" but in this case, I'd rather that you started completely fresh.

You can find the utility here (DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows Mac Linux All In One - VZW Droid Razr Development XT912 - DroidRzr.com)

Misinformation on why not to delete Verizon Remote Diagnostics, Motorola SmartActions and Motorola Vehicle Mode. They are not required by other apps.

If apps are dependent on other apps, there would be disclosure. Linux has dependencies disclosures.

I use only open source apps. I have the right to delete closed source unnecessary apps running in the background, using battery and spying.

Open source, doesn't ALWAYS mean "clean". That's one misnomer. Just because others can see it doesn't mean they will be able to intercept malware before you download and install it. Again, stay with GOOGLE PLAY STORE, and you should be completely safe.

You misrepresented closed source proprietary apps are more secure. The opposite is true. Open source apps are less likely to be infected, have a backdoor and spy. I only use open source apps. I dont use GAPPS (Google apps). I dont have a google account. Google is a member of PRISM.

Again, not true. Open source, closed source, they ALL can be hijacked.

badbiosvictim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid 4
Though I neither activated my Droid 4 nor inserted a SIM card which is required for 4G, settings > data usage shows data being used. Data usage lists Verizon Remote Diagnostic. It is clearly running in the background. data usage. Screenshot is at http://imgur.com/ienQVjp.png

I clicked on Verizon Remote Diagnostic. 'View app settings' is grayed out. I have neither access nor control over the app. Screenshot is at http://imgur.com/3BXZ2h5.png

This morning, I conducted more research on Verizon Remote Diagnostic. Verizon misrepresented that customers must approve Verizon Remote Diagnostic before it can be activated. Verizon misrepresented that after approval, Verizon Remote Diagnostic does not run in the background. Verizon refused to answer the question which devices Verizon is installing it on.
www.droid-life.com/2012/03/19/verizons-new-remote-diagnostic-tool-what-you-need-to-know/

I will assume because a commentor to the above article reported his Droid 4 has it running that Verizon installed it. EricFleming: "Droid 4 here. Runs in background ALL THE TIME! root. uninstall. forget verizons evilness."

Chris G Ben Hackney: "If it were a legit, for TS only service, it could be opted out of. Their refusal to let us (who mostly know more than they do) opt out means I should be suspicious of it and them."
Ben Hackney: "Something has to be listening on the device in order for TS to start the program. I think I'd want more technical details and third party verification before I'd be comfortable at all with it."
Justin Ellenbecker: "How can it not run in the background? That would mean you have to start it. I bet there is some bullshit listener service or it sends a text which is read and triggers it but either way there has to be something running to fire this thing up."
Tim Swann Zebra: "My point is, is that this kind of software is no different from CarrierIQ. Even though VZ says they won't be using the software unless we grant permission, do you really think VZ cares? No. They Don't. This software will run in the background. I can see it."

Mike: You cannot use Avast anti-theft with this software installed, and you cannot uninstall the Verizon software. Ridiculous that I cannot use the most highly rated free software to secure and locate my phone especially since my last one was stolen."

Whereas, most of the commenters in this forum are fan boys of Verizon, Motorola and Google. Refusing to acknowledge my phone is hacked, calling the ROM 'corrupted' and advising to reinstall the stock ROM is not a solution. The stock ROM would reinstall Verizon Remote Diagnostics, Motorola SmartActions and Motorola Vehicle Mode which turns on GPS which geolocates users.

This forum should follow droid-life.com's recommendation:

"Will be interesting to see if the developer community can locate this service and remove it without breaking the phone. I can imagine that most readers of sites like DL would rather not have it installed in the background whether it runs or not."

I will be installing a custom ROM, procuring root and if Verizon Remote Diagnostic is installed on my phone again, hopefully I will be able to remove it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
@badbiosvictim I need to point out to you that this site, started as a strictly verizon support site. And while you may see us as fan boys for not agreeing that your device is hacked... You are certainly welcome to your own opinion.. I will also point put that I have 4 first gen droid razr maxx's.. The phones are identical to your droid 4 minus the keyboard.

That said.. I've never had any issues with this app. We've discussed this app at nauseum when the devices came out.

Yes the app is intrusive.. Yes if you can root the device you can freeze this app.. Now...this is all up to your personal preference.

If you don't like what verizon is doing.. The best thing you can do is leave them. But you will find that all carriers have implemented an internal diagnostic app so that they have fewer returns from poorly diagnosed issues...trust me.. If verizon had really wanted to "hide" this.. They could've hidden it in any of their bloat apps...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Though I neither activated my Droid 4 nor inserted a SIM card which is required for 4G, settings > data usage shows data being used. Data usage lists Verizon Remote Diagnostic. It is clearly running in the background. data usage. Screenshot is at http://imgur.com/ienQVjp.png

I clicked on Verizon Remote Diagnostic. 'View app settings' is grayed out. I have neither access nor control over the app. Screenshot is at http://imgur.com/3BXZ2h5.png

This morning, I conducted more research on Verizon Remote Diagnostic. Verizon misrepresented that customers must approve Verizon Remote Diagnostic before it can be activated. Verizon misrepresented that after approval, Verizon Remote Diagnostic does not run in the background. Verizon refused to answer the question which devices Verizon is installing it on.
www.droid-life.com/2012/03/19/verizons-new-remote-diagnostic-tool-what-you-need-to-know/

I will assume because a commentor to the above article reported his Droid 4 has it running that Verizon installed it. EricFleming: "Droid 4 here. Runs in background ALL THE TIME! root. uninstall. forget verizons evilness."

Chris G Ben Hackney: "If it were a legit, for TS only service, it could be opted out of. Their refusal to let us (who mostly know more than they do) opt out means I should be suspicious of it and them."
Ben Hackney: "Something has to be listening on the device in order for TS to start the program. I think I'd want more technical details and third party verification before I'd be comfortable at all with it."
Justin Ellenbecker: "How can it not run in the background? That would mean you have to start it. I bet there is some bullshit listener service or it sends a text which is read and triggers it but either way there has to be something running to fire this thing up."
Tim Swann Zebra: "My point is, is that this kind of software is no different from CarrierIQ. Even though VZ says they won't be using the software unless we grant permission, do you really think VZ cares? No. They Don't. This software will run in the background. I can see it."

Mike: You cannot use Avast anti-theft with this software installed, and you cannot uninstall the Verizon software. Ridiculous that I cannot use the most highly rated free software to secure and locate my phone especially since my last one was stolen."

Whereas, most of the commenters in this forum are fan boys of Verizon, Motorola and Google. Refusing to acknowledge my phone is hacked, calling the ROM 'corrupted' and advising to reinstall the stock ROM is not a solution. The stock ROM would reinstall Verizon Remote Diagnostics, Motorola SmartActions and Motorola Vehicle Mode which turns on GPS which geolocates users.

This forum should follow droid-life.com's recommendation:

"Will be interesting to see if the developer community can locate this service and remove it without breaking the phone. I can imagine that most readers of sites like DL would rather not have it installed in the background whether it runs or not."

I will be installing a custom ROM, procuring root and if Verizon Remote Diagnostic is installed on my phone again, hopefully I will be able to remove it.
I'm AT&T after switching from T-Mobile. Definitely not a Verizon fanboy.
Perhaps read post #32 as he is trying to help you out.
If you are intent on sticking with Verizon as your carrier, regardless of the reason, and are going to install a custom Rom as you have stated might I suggest you research the most vanilla available and install it?
One thing to remember about this particular forum is it is not pro or anti any carrier, has no official opinion on any bloatware installed by any manufacturer or carrier. The forum reports the facts in the news section, unless it specially is labeled rumor, and the members take it from there. Any opinion any staff member may present is opinion only and not necessarily the same as the official forum stance. We have a very active area where staff members feet are held to a hot fire to continually keep this forum the best that it can be .

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

badbiosvictim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid 4
FoxKat wrote: "As I mentioned before, downloading ANYTHING from third party app hosting sites places you at risk of getting a virus or other malware. Google scans EVERY app file and makes sure they are clean."

Please define 'clean' and cite your source that "Google scans every app file and makes sure they are clean." Google does not search for backdoors in apps. Google allows apps to have numerous permissions that are not necessary. The permissions enable spying. For example, compare the permissions of an open source flashlight app to the most popular app that the FCC almost fined for being a stalker app.

Brightest Flashlight app scam FTC reaches settlement no fine BGR

There are so many apps in Google Play that are 'stalker apps' that a senator introduced a bill to ban them:

Mobile spying apps fuel domestic violence U.S. senator says PCWorld

There is no record of any open source Linux app or android app downloaded from an open source repository, such as f-droid.org, being infected with malware or spyware.

94lt1, you are fortunate if indeed your four Razr Maxx phones actually did not have Verizon Remote Diagnostic running in the background exfiltrating your data. How do you know? Data usage in settings does not list all the apps running in the background. Download autostart, alogcat, catlog or other monitoring tools from f-droid.org to ascertain a complete list of apps that start up and apps that run in the background.

I did not write fan boy because of lack of acknowledgement that I am being hacked. I didn't create this post. This post is not about my being hacked. This post is about Verizon spying.

I wrote fan boy because of lack of acknowledgement that Verizon Remote Diagnostic is spyware similar to Carrier IQ which is spyware. Hackers can infect new phones and old phones with Carrier IQ and/or Verizon Remote Diagnostic. Victims perform forensics on their phones, research the description of these programs, reads cell carriers installed them and naively believes this.

I also wrote fan boy because of lack of acknowledgment that rooting to 'freeze' an app does not suffice. As I wrote before, root can be fakeroot. No actual superuser privileges. Frozen apps can be unfrozen by Verizon, nation-states and hackers. The solution is to remove spyware, not to freeze spyware. Installing a custom ROM will remove spyware. Of course, hackers can hack the custom ROM.

Advising to install a vanilla ROM does not suffice in today's mass surveillance state. As I wrote earlier, I would prefer to install Dark Matter, Replicant or Guardian ROM but they developed for the Droid 4. Thus, I have no choice but to install a Vanilla ROM. I consider CyanogenMOD and Paranoid ROM to vanilla.

Thereafter, hackers will continue hacking but hopefully Verizon and Motorola will not procure my personal data from my unactivated phone. The following is more symptoms of hacking:

Numerous system files have a skewed timestamp of 12/31/69 at 7 pm
Screenshot of /fstab to mnt is at http://i.imgur.com/dFeSefo.png
Screenshot of /pds to sys is at http://i.imgur.com/StC54mF.png
Screenshot of /sys to xbin is at http://i.imgur.com/BEVF0kf.png
Other hacking:
Hackers tampered with the camera's auto focus. Initial photographs of my infected and implanted Toshiba Portege R100
laptop were out of focus. Hackers tampered with the flash setting causing the flash to turn on and over expose
photographs. I could not turn off the flash. I installed open camera app from f-droid.org which solved the problem.
However, hackers deleted the photographs of my Toshiba Portege R100 implanted motherboard.
hackers deleted some of my plain text files.
Hackers tampered with the stock alarm clock and the alarm clock app from f-droid.org.
Hackers deleted email address from my contacts. Hackers altered the settings of my email accounts in K-9 email
client.
Hackers tampered with Firefox browser and Opera browser. Cannot open emails in my mailbox.org account. Cannot go to
inbox of my ruggedinbox.com account.
OI file manager cannot move files.
Open file manager cannot create a folder and cannot rename a file or folder.
VLC and Just Player quickly stopped working.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

Once you are rooted you don't even have to install a different rom. You can simply freeze the Verizon software at your leisure. Freezing it will guarantee that symbolic linkings, dependencies are not broken.

badbiosvictim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid 4
moderator warned against removing Verizon Remote Diagnostic. I have a higher standards for moderators. Moderators need to back up their advise by citing sources. Moderators didnt. Thus, I spent more time researching.

Verizon remote diagnostic is safe to remove.
Safely Frozen Apps - Jelly Bean 98.72.8 - Droid Razr Apps Games and Accessories - DroidRzr.com

So are Verizon's two other spywares safe to remove:

"RescueSecurity and Help Center should ALWAYS be frozen or removed unless you want Verizon to have easy access to your phone. Besides the 2 BugtoGo files in BIN I am sure they have more ways to spy on us but we really make it too easy with the afore-mentioned apps."

Safely Frozen Apps - Jelly Bean 98.72.8 - Droid Razr Apps Games and Accessories - DroidRzr.com

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FoxKat wrote: "As I mentioned before, downloading ANYTHING from third party app hosting sites places you at risk of getting a virus or other malware. Google scans EVERY app file and makes sure they are clean."

Please define 'clean' and cite your source that "Google scans every app file and makes sure they are clean." Google does not search for backdoors in apps. Google allows apps to have numerous permissions that are not necessary. The permissions enable spying. For example, compare the permissions of an open source flashlight app to the most popular app that the FCC almost fined for being a stalker app.

Brightest Flashlight app scam FTC reaches settlement no fine BGR

There are so many apps in Google Play that are 'stalker apps' that a senator introduced a bill to ban them:

Mobile spying apps fuel domestic violence U.S. senator says PCWorld

There is no record of any open source Linux app or android app downloaded from an open source repository, such as f-droid.org, being infected with malware or spyware.

94lt1, you are fortunate if indeed your four Razr Maxx phones actually did not have Verizon Remote Diagnostic running in the background exfiltrating your data. How do you know? Data usage in settings does not list all the apps running in the background. Download autostart, alogcat, catlog or other monitoring tools from f-droid.org to ascertain a complete list of apps that start up and apps that run in the background.

I did not write fan boy because of lack of acknowledgement that I am being hacked. I didn't create this post. This post is not about my being hacked. This post is about Verizon spying.

I wrote fan boy because of lack of acknowledgement that Verizon Remote Diagnostic is spyware similar to Carrier IQ which is spyware. Hackers can infect new phones and old phones with Carrier IQ and/or Verizon Remote Diagnostic. Victims perform forensics on their phones, research the description of these programs, reads cell carriers installed them and naively believes this.

I also wrote fan boy because of lack of acknowledgment that rooting to 'freeze' an app does not suffice. As I wrote before, root can be fakeroot. No actual superuser privileges. Frozen apps can be unfrozen by Verizon, nation-states and hackers. The solution is to remove spyware, not to freeze spyware. Installing a custom ROM will remove spyware. Of course, hackers can hack the custom ROM.

Advising to install a vanilla ROM does not suffice in today's mass surveillance state. As I wrote earlier, I would prefer to install Dark Matter, Replicant or Guardian ROM but they developed for the Droid 4. Thus, I have no choice but to install a Vanilla ROM. I consider CyanogenMOD and Paranoid ROM to vanilla.

Thereafter, hackers will continue hacking but hopefully Verizon and Motorola will not procure my personal data from my unactivated phone. The following is more symptoms of hacking:

Numerous system files have a skewed timestamp of 12/31/69 at 7 pm
Screenshot of /fstab to mnt is at http://i.imgur.com/dFeSefo.png
Screenshot of /pds to sys is at http://i.imgur.com/StC54mF.png
Screenshot of /sys to xbin is at http://i.imgur.com/BEVF0kf.png
Other hacking:
Hackers tampered with the camera's auto focus. Initial photographs of my infected and implanted Toshiba Portege R100
laptop were out of focus. Hackers tampered with the flash setting causing the flash to turn on and over expose
photographs. I could not turn off the flash. I installed open camera app from f-droid.org which solved the problem.
However, hackers deleted the photographs of my Toshiba Portege R100 implanted motherboard.
hackers deleted some of my plain text files.
Hackers tampered with the stock alarm clock and the alarm clock app from f-droid.org.
Hackers deleted email address from my contacts. Hackers altered the settings of my email accounts in K-9 email
client.
Hackers tampered with Firefox browser and Opera browser. Cannot open emails in my mailbox.org account. Cannot go to
inbox of my ruggedinbox.com account.
OI file manager cannot move files.
Open file manager cannot create a folder and cannot rename a file or folder.
VLC and Just Player quickly stopped working.
12/31/69 is a bug in coding introduced when alleviating the possibility of a world wide computer systems crash on 1/1/00. Unix Epoch time officially began 1 minute after that. Since yours is showing 7pm it is stating you are located in the central United States time zone so in essence 7:01 is the beginning of Unix Epoch. The lemonade factor in that date showing up is a flag of corrupted files within your device. They are most prevalent in photos , music and sms's.
I'm not going to provide links because it is readily available in a Google search.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4