Verizon Pixel XL Bootloader Has Been Unlocked

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CvqcEDHUsAA_EY4.jpg

Well that didn't take long. FireWater has already posted an image of a bootloader unlocked Verizon Pixel. So far there has been no mention of how this was achieved. It is likely that for now the process is not safe or user friendly. There has been no guarantee that the unlock method will be released. Apparently unlocking this bootloader was pretty easy. I guess HTC just left it wide open. I can image Verizon won't be very happy once the method is released.

via @firewaterdevs

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Wasn't it YOU who urged people to purchase their Pixel elsewhere because the bootloader on Verizon would not easily be unlocked? Yet here we are a week after release....
Are you sure you don't moonlight for CNN or Fox news DMX?
Bwahahaha!

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wasn't it YOU who urged people to purchase their Pixel elsewhere because the bootloader on Verizon would not easily be unlocked? Yet here we are a week after release....
Are you sure you don't moonlight for CNN or Fox news DMX?
Bwahahaha!

S5 tap'n
That definitely was him.

However, I can't blame him and others for being leery of the Verizon version of these devices. I've recommended to a friend or two that was thinking about getting the Pixel XL to replace their Note 7 that they might want to buy it direct from Google.

Glad to see that this deal seems to be much better than we got with the Galaxy Nexus.

Will be interested to see if updates are actually pushed out at the same time like they've claimed.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm wondering if Verizon will block that loophole.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah but the thing is, there are a LOT of developers on Verizon, so is much more likely that a device will get unlocked, "eventually". This just so happened to occur much sooner than say a Galaxy device, which is great.

S5 tap'n

rampyodm

Reaction score
What does HTC have to do with this? I thought Google made the Pixel.

Edit: Just found out that was a lie.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's still an HTC device. Google just had a much larger say in what was or wasn't included in the Pixel, "software wise".

S5 tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
hopefully this gets released soon... I've got my moto pure and a few upgrades on my lines... (read: 3 left that haven't updated in over 5 years) and this device looks like it would be a great replacement... my Pure is starting to have issues.

Hopefully the pixel 128gb is in stock soon and the new shipment doesn't have a bunch of upgrades that prevent this.

sb1831

Reaction score
Verizon isn't going to do anything about this. The galaxy Nexus was the same way. Everyone swore it would be locked up tight. It wasn't at all.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let it be known that I still recommend buying your Pixel directly from Google! :D

Mainly this becomes a cat and mouse game with Verizon. As soon as the bootloader is unlocked an update is released to block the method. If you want to install ota security updates you lose the ability to unlock the bootloader (if you already did this you could just flash a rom for the update) and root. If root interest you at all the best way is to just buy from Google. I guess I should have considered the fact that this was built by HTC and HTC is traditionally pretty lax or rather incompetent when it comes to locking bootloaders.