Verizon Officially Launches New Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra & Droid Maxx

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For the most part 48 hours of battery life would be nice but not necessary. With the note 2 i can get about 17-31 hours depending on usage. I just want a phone that will give me a full day with an extra 3-4 hours of reserve. I do not need to have my phone on full brightness watching movies all day. For the most part i do not need my phone to watch movies on. Evey now and then ill watch one when im trying to do a long cardio work out or stuck at the airport. For the latter i would invest in a battery pack or spare battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I am calling bs to the 48 hour battery life. I have maxx hd maybe on a good day I get 18 hours out of my battery.

I got 52 hours out of my bionic with moderate use using the 2750mah battery; mid upper 40s on average . 48 hours out of a 3500mah battery shouldn't be an issue. I think it is very necessary if you are a power user or go camping with it. If you think that it is unnecessary then just get the regular razr.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the ability to get 20 hours with moderate/heavy use is sufficient. It's not a problem to plug in overnight. I'd offer one caveat - I'd like to get that leaving the display on all day - I hate pressing the power button to turn it on every time I pick it up to use. Been awhile since I tried, but maybe now Tasker/Locale or some other program does that efficiently.

If you go camping or do a lot of tethering away from a power source, then maybe it's a different story...but not a big enough market for the OEM's to really care about.

victoriak68

Reaction score
I got 52 hours out of my bionic with moderate use using the 2750mah battery; mid upper 40s on average . 48 hours out of a 3500mah battery shouldn't be an issue. I think it is very necessary if you are a power user or go camping with it. If you think that it is unnecessary then just get the regular razr.

My daughter has the Maxx HD. Actually, both of us were suppose to have the Maxx, but when my daughter was able to upgrade the local store didn't have any in stock and she didn't want to wait. I gave her my barely used my Maxx HD that I had only had a month, because I wanted to make sure she had a good solid phone that wouldn't be dead when coming home from work at night. My point in telling you all this is that I'm a heavier user than my daughter and I thought maybe, when I had the phone, the reason I wasn't even coming close to the advertised 32 hours of battery life that it was my fault. But, my daughter doesn't come close either. While the Maxx battery is stronger than the S4 I have now and my daughter is able to get through the day with some life left over, she still needs to charge at night. So, it's safe to assume that if they're advertising the new Droid Maxx as having a 48 hour battery life, while it'll most likely be better than the current Maxx, it will still be significantly less than what's advertised.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TheOldFart

Reaction score
How do they determine the 48 hour life? It certainly isn't 48 hours of continuous screen on use. I assume that it is 48 hours of what Moto considers normal use. Since I have access to a computer all day (retired), I can get days out of a charge from my Inc2. I have the extended battery, but I often get 4 or 5 days between charges. If we're on vacation then I often only get 1 full day out of a charge. So what is normal use. Some might get 4 days out of a MAXX charge, while some might barely get one day. It's relative, but I would think that a phone advertised as having a 48 hour battery life would still get 2X the use compared to a phone that is advertised as having a 24 hour life. Therefore I would still expect that the new MAXX has the longest battery life of any smartphone, at least with a standard battery and not an extended battery.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
It is all on where you are at. I have found that signal and screen time are the biggest factors. With the same bionic that I got 52 hours out of in Virginia (constant 3g or 4g), I could get through a full day and then maybe a little more when I'm in Massachusetts (constantly switching between 3g/4g. My Nexus is the same way. I get much better battery life if I'm in an area that doesn't have my 3g/4g switching back and forth.

victoriak68

Reaction score
How do they determine the 48 hour life? It certainly isn't 48 hours of continuous screen on use. I assume that it is 48 hours of what Moto considers normal use. Since I have access to a computer all day (retired), I can get days out of a charge from my Inc2. I have the extended battery, but I often get 4 or 5 days between charges. If we're on vacation then I often only get 1 full day out of a charge. So what is normal use. Some might get 4 days out of a MAXX charge, while some might barely get one day. It's relative, but I would think that a phone advertised as having a 48 hour battery life would still get 2X the use compared to a phone that is advertised as having a 24 hour life. Therefore I would still expect that the new MAXX has the longest battery life of any smartphone, at least with a standard battery and not an extended battery.

In my experience with the Maxx HD, when they promised 32 hours with normal use as a heavy user I was expecting to be able to get through the day without having to charge until bedtime, whereas others wouldn't have to until sometime during the following day. However, that's not what happened. Instead, I was only able to get through half a day, which wasn't much better than what I had experienced with previous phones. I think the general consensus here is to not be surprised when the phone doesn't hold up to advertised expectations.

droidx2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheOldFart How do they determine the 48 hour life? It certainly isn't 48 hours of continuous screen on use. I assume that it is 48 hours of what Moto considers normal use. Since I have access to a computer all day (retired), I can get days out of a charge from my Inc2. I have the extended battery, but I often get 4 or 5 days between charges. If we're on vacation then I often only get 1 full day out of a charge. So what is normal use. Some might get 4 days out of a MAXX charge, while some might barely get one day. It's relative, but I would think that a phone advertised as having a 48 hour battery life would still get 2X the use compared to a phone that is advertised as having a 24 hour life. Therefore I would still expect that the new MAXX has the longest battery life of any smartphone, at least with a standard battery and not an extended battery.

In my experience with the Maxx HD, when they promised 32 hours with normal use as a heavy user I was expecting to be able to get through the day without having to charge until bedtime, whereas others wouldn't have to until sometime during the following day. However, that's not what happened. Instead, I was only able to get through half a day, which wasn't much better than what I had experienced with previous phones. I think the general consensus here is to not be surprised when the phone doesn't hold up to advertised expectations.

I definately see you point on that topic. I still like the Dx.

droidx2010

Reaction score
It is all on where you are at. I have found that signal and screen time are the biggest factors. With the same bionic that I got 52 hours out of in Virginia (constant 3g or 4g), I could get through a full day and then maybe a little more when I'm in Massachusetts (constantly switching between 3g/4g. My Nexus is the same way. I get much better battery life if I'm in an area that doesn't have my 3g/4g switching back and forth.
I concur with SpeJ34435.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My daughter has the Maxx HD. Actually, both of us were suppose to have the Maxx, but when my daughter was able to upgrade the local store didn't have any in stock and she didn't want to wait. I gave her my barely used my Maxx HD that I had only had a month, because I wanted to make sure she had a good solid phone that wouldn't be dead when coming home from work at night. My point in telling you all this is that I'm a heavier user than my daughter and I thought maybe, when I had the phone, the reason I wasn't even coming close to the advertised 32 hours of battery life that it was my fault. But, my daughter doesn't come close either. While the Maxx battery is stronger than the S4 I have now and my daughter is able to get through the day with some life left over, she still needs to charge at night. So, it's safe to assume that if they're advertising the new Droid Maxx as having a 48 hour battery life, while it'll most likely be better than the current Maxx, it will still be significantly less than what's advertised.

There are certain things that rob battery life. Like i was use to my n2 getting at least 17 hours. Well i started noticing a significant drop. Man i was deleting apps, dumping battery monitors, and dimming and yet noda. Then i stumbled upon a thread when dezymond said something about Google now location services and i totally forgot about that. So i turned off location services and sure nuff battery improved to the way it was. So if you notice a significant drop check to see what is running in the background. Your maxx should get about the same amount of battery life the n2 is getting if not a little more. And light use i can get a day and a half heavy about 17-20.

xtor

Reaction score
There are certain things that rob battery life. Like i was use to my n2 getting at least 17 hours. Well i started noticing a significant drop. Man i was deleting apps, dumping battery monitors, and dimming and yet noda. Then i stumbled upon a thread when dezymond said something about Google now location services and i totally forgot about that. So i turned off location services and sure nuff battery improved to the way it was. So if you notice a significant drop check to see what is running in the background. Your maxx should get about the same amount of battery life the n2 is getting if not a little more. And light use i can get a day and a half heavy about 17-20.

The only thing that drained my battery fast was a live wallpaper, I removed it and I'm back to 20 hrs of use, little use at 34 hrs

sent from a note yee (2)

victoriak68

Reaction score

One of the first things I learned when I bought my first smartphone was to keep location services turned off unless they were needed at that moment. What I said in regard to my experience with the Maxx HD and its advertised 32 hour battery life included location services being turned off. Motorola has continuously disappointed users by promising and not delivering on battery life.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One of the first things I learned when I bought my first smartphone was to keep location services turned off unless they were needed at that moment. What I said in regard to my experience with the Maxx HD and its advertised 32 hour battery life included location services being turned off. Motorola has continuously disappointed users by promising and not delivering on battery life.

I can't speak for the razr as motorola lost me when they were putting out phones with specs that was competitive the year before and yet priced the same as like Sammy or htc who's specs blew them out of the water. What we do know about battery is over time after so many charges the battery drops off. Well with a removable battery you can get a replacement (and by the time you are ready to replace it the market is saturated with batteries so you can find an oem battery for about 20). With non removable batteries you have to send it back to the oem or void the warranty. I tend to buy an extra battery a year from my purchase date. Also foxkat had a thread about how to get the most out of razr maxx batteries. I am on Tapatalk typing during my break so will not have time to look for it right now.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I can say my short two week observations with the Maxx hd it was a workhorse ..I could definitely get that time advertised on ..I abused the phone though with plenty screen on time ..so one day usage was enough for me to charge while I sleep ..to me the most important thing is signal ..you in a bad area nothing will hold up ...there were a few times I traveled and could see the difference ..

N2 Tap'd