Verizon Might Be Adding a $20 Activation Fee For Devices Purchased on a Payment Plan

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-wireless-moneybags.jpg

Although this is just a rumor for now, Verizon might be adding a $20 activation fee for devices on their network, when you purchase the device through them on a payment plan. This $20 fee won't apply if you bought it outright, through Edge or on a two-year contract (of course, those options might have their own separate activation fee).

By now, extra fees should not be a surprise to us coming from Verizon. That's just "par for the course" with Big Red. According to the source of this intel, they have technically always had this fee in place, except they simply "waived" it before and will no longer do so. If this turns out to be true, it will reportedly kick off on November 15th. (This happens to coincide with the date they plan to increase unlimited data plan prices by $20.)

We have yet to get any secondary confirmation of this intel, so take it with a grain of salt for now, but be prepared in case it's true.

Source: Phandroid

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Didn't they just do away with stupid activation fees not too long ago? Glad I bought my 6P from Huawei. I give Big Red enough money every month.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At&t and Sprint have activation fees so I am not surprised that VZW is deciding to bring it back. But I am betting this is one of those things where they will use it as a "move the money around" thing. They will teach sells reps to use it as a tool to gain favor or get a person to sign.

Example: Person is a new customer on the fence about signing, they will say "we ill waive you activation fee if you sign today and will throw in a free month of (enter VZW service that is preinstalled on the phone and would have been on trial basis anyway)".

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
One less incentive to purchase through edge then and through a different reseller.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
verizon-wireless-moneybags.jpg

Although this is just a rumor for now, Verizon might be adding a $20 activation fee for devices on their network, when you purchase the device through them on a payment plan. This $20 fee won't apply if you bought it outright, through Edge or on a two-year contract (of course, those options might have their own separate activation fee).

This is confusing. At first you're saying they will have the fee on payment plans, but NOT on Edge, which was the former name of the payment plan. So, which might it be? :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk