Verizon Joins in on the Galaxy mayhem with the Samsung Fascinate

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Fascinate.jpg

As you may have just seen with Sprint and T-Mobile, Verizon just joined the Samsung Galaxy fray by announcing the Samsung Fascinate.

The Samsung Fascinate will be the same Galaxy variant as T-Mobile's Samsung Vibrant, but of course with the appropriate CDMA bands. The Fascinate will, of course, feature the speedy 1GHz Hummingbird CPU.This version will be keyboard-less. We have no renderings at this time, but we will update as soon as we come across any. Also there is no mention of a release date, but I am betting around July 21st (when the Vibrant is slated to be released on T-Mobile).

--

A quick refresher, what is the big deal behind the Samsung Fascinate?

• 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird CPU (ARM Cortex-A8 architecture and PowerVR SGX540 GPU)
  • 4.0" Super AMOLED Display
  • 5 MP Camera with 720p Recording
  • one of the slimmest smartphones on the market. The dimensions are 4.82” x 2.54” x 0.39”; weighs 4.16 oz
  • Android 2.1 with custom Touchwiz 3.0 interface (with 2.2 purportedly soon to follow)
GPU Comparison (thanks to AndroidAndMe):

• Motorola Droid: TI OMAP3430 with PowerVR SGX530 = 7-14 million(?) triangles/sec
  • Nexus One: Qualcomm QSD8×50 with Adreno 200 = 22 million triangles/sec
  • iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 7 million triangles/sec
  • Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec
As you can see, the Samsung Hummingbird has arguably the greatest CPU/GPU combo to date on a smartphone. Sporting a Super AMOLED is also intriguing, as it promises a massive glare reduction, compared to its AMOLED counterpart (via Engadget).

--

So who's going to snag a Fascinate? Or are your hearts set on either the Motorola Droid X or Droid 2? And most importantly, are we running out of good nicknames for smartphones?

Source: Sprint
Via: Engadget

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its a cycle.....one time just model #s then names then back to model #s for a few years now back to names........and so it shall go.

Some of them are getting kinda out there....what's an eris?? Why call it fascinate?? Why not functional?? Maybe someone will get really inventive and just call it a fone lol

Sent from my Droid

wirezd

Reaction score
All of these Samsung phones are hideous.

They look like cheap, plastic-y dumbphones. I don't care what's inside it, no thanks.

y0manda

Reaction score
I bought a samsung fridge and it was the biggest POS I have ever bought, customer service blows. I will never buy a samsung product again.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL!!

I have a Samsung HDTV that is nice, has lasted me 3 years so far.

Their phones......thats another story. The Omnia is the reason I got a phone with a keyboard: The Droid. I figured when the touchscreen started messing up, the keyboard was a nice safety net.

blazingwolf

Reaction score
@jroc,
Omnia wasn't that bad of a phone at all. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean the rest of us did.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I think Samsung makes good products. I've even had one of their phones and I liked it very much. It wasn't a smart phone but it was pretty cool.

I did exchange it for a Blackberry Storm however.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
@jroc,
Omnia wasn't that bad of a phone at all. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean the rest of us did.

Thats true.....I guess its: YMMV...lol

I wish m screen woulda survived my keys in my pocket, and being dropped. After those two things happened I could only use the keyboard in landscape mode. And I got tired of calibrating the screen to try to fix it.

And the reception....I dont even wanna get started......

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
But hey, this is a new Samsung phone so I cant fault this one on its ancestors...lol

Whoever gets it just make sure to test reception in a bad reception area....

Reaction score
Have a Samsung Fridge and a TV. Absolutely love both of them. Every company has a few bad products go through, no reason to swear them off forever. Hell, I had a few bad Droids too, doesn't mean I will never buy Moto again, in fact I love my Droid!