As you may have just seen with Sprint and T-Mobile, Verizon just joined the Samsung Galaxy fray by announcing the Samsung Fascinate.
The Samsung Fascinate will be the same Galaxy variant as T-Mobile's Samsung Vibrant, but of course with the appropriate CDMA bands. The Fascinate will, of course, feature the speedy 1GHz Hummingbird CPU.This version will be keyboard-less. We have no renderings at this time, but we will update as soon as we come across any. Also there is no mention of a release date, but I am betting around July 21st (when the Vibrant is slated to be released on T-Mobile).
A quick refresher, what is the big deal behind the Samsung Fascinate?
- 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird CPU (ARM Cortex-A8 architecture and PowerVR SGX540 GPU)
- 4.0" Super AMOLED Display
- 5 MP Camera with 720p Recording
- one of the slimmest smartphones on the market. The dimensions are 4.82” x 2.54” x 0.39”; weighs 4.16 oz
- Android 2.1 with custom Touchwiz 3.0 interface (with 2.2 purportedly soon to follow)
- Motorola Droid: TI OMAP3430 with PowerVR SGX530 = 7-14 million(?) triangles/sec
- Nexus One: Qualcomm QSD8×50 with Adreno 200 = 22 million triangles/sec
- iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 7 million triangles/sec
- Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec
So who's going to snag a Fascinate? Or are your hearts set on either the Motorola Droid X or Droid 2? And most importantly, are we running out of good nicknames for smartphones?