Verizon is Buying AOL for $4.4 Billion USD

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
This just in...

Engadget and TechCrunch state that Verizon has the best service and coverage within our galaxy.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This just in...

Engadget and TechCrunch state that Verizon has the best service and coverage within our galaxy.
Can't find the article on the verge, but they went the other way with it. Taking about whether they'd keep editorial independence. They layer several scenarios that would likely upset Verizon execs.

Sent from my Note 4

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So does this mean that Verizon will start mass mailing free prepaid smartphones, with a month of free service? Or is that marketing method passe?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This is a huge fail. Where does AOL stand in the advertising rankings? The rest is just fodder...Techcrunch, Engadget...

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well I'm glad to see my money going to a good use...... why not put that 4.4 billion into the network or something useful to those of us who pay all this money?

I guess I didn't realize AOL was even around anymore let alone worth that kind of cash.

I read an article about the number of people still paying for AOL dial up it was crazy. I think like 22 million people...

I was lazy and didn't read all posts hope I'm not echoing anyone.

Note 4Tified

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If there was any doubt that verizon had too much money.....

around $45 per subscriber....But Techcrunch, HuffPo and Engadget are pretty valuable properties. I just can't see what VZW is going to do with them, and it doesn't make sense for a corporation to be investing in largely unrelated content.

I don't know. Maybe VZW thinks they can herd its subscribers to these sites by not counting it against your data allowance, and then capture a boatload of ad revenue that would otherwise go elsewhere. But what would the Net Neutrality gestapo have to say about that?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
According to Engadget, they will maintain editorial control. Her's a quote from their site..

"Of course, I understand the questions about Engadget's ability to maintain its editorial integrity in the wake of this acquisition. After all, Verizon has done nothing to earn us any benefit of the doubt -- quite the opposite, actually. But it doesn't matter who pays our salaries; we're not in the business of censorship. Engadget's editorial isn't for sale. It never has been, and it never will be. Not as long as I and Executive Editor Christopher Trout are running things. Actions speak louder than words, however, and it's time to get back to work. Stick around, I promise you won't want to miss what's next".

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
According to Engadget, they will maintain editorial control. Her's a quote from their site..

"Of course, I understand the questions about Engadget's ability to maintain its editorial integrity in the wake of this acquisition. After all, Verizon has done nothing to earn us any benefit of the doubt -- quite the opposite, actually. But it doesn't matter who pays our salaries; we're not in the business of censorship. Engadget's editorial isn't for sale. It never has been, and it never will be. Not as long as I and Executive Editor Christopher Trout are running things. Actions speak louder than words, however, and it's time to get back to work. Stick around, I promise you won't want to miss what's next".
Are we taking bets on how long those guys have jobs?

Sent from my Note 4