Verizon forcing share everything plans?

Paladyr

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I was trying to participate in this thread but verizon is editing all of my posts:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/801621

Basically I have 3 smartphones and 2 basic phones. I used the upgrade discount on two of the lines, and the verizon site let me keep my nationwide calling and texting plan, and the 3rd smartphone has unlimited data still. Now I'm trying to use the upgrade discount on the 3rd phone, but the verizon website is forcing me to select a more expensive (no matter what data plan I choose) share everything plan ($40 more per month). I chatted with a Verizon rep and was told I would have to accept a share everything plan, and then when I get my new phone I could call and switch it back to my old nationwide calling and texting plan with each smart phone having its own data plan. This sounds very shady to me, as I anticipate when I try to switch back they will tell me it's no longer available.

Has anyone done something similar to this? Is it possible to upgrade the last smartphone on my account but keep my current calling plan and individual data plans (I know I'll lose unlimited and that's fine)? Thanks!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Once you switch to the Share plan, you CANNOT go back. Do NOT let them change your plan. I would highly recommend buying your phone elsewhere. When I upgrade customers, I make sure the Share plan is going to save them money. If it doesn't, I'm not changing them over unless they demand it.

OP
P

Paladyr

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Once you switch to the Share plan, you CANNOT go back. Do NOT let them change your plan. I would highly recommend buying your phone elsewhere. When I upgrade customers, I make sure the Share plan is going to save them money. If it doesn't, I'm not changing them over unless they demand it.

Thanks so much for your input!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Instead of doing it online I would highly suggest you stop by a Verizon store and have it done there. There you can make sure that nothing is messed with and that if things are, they can/should immediately reverse the action. I recently upgraded one of our lines myself at a Verizon store and ran into no issues. The rep showed me on his computer AND waited for me to check My Verizon app to ensure that my unlimited data was kept on my line.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I currently have 4 lines, with only 1 smart phone, and am still on my 700 min/unlimited texting/ 4gb a month plan. I got my data double to 4gb when I got my droid 4. They were running a double your data promotion when you upgrade to a 4g phone. I am worried that when I go to update they are going to force me into a "share everything" plan and I will lose my 4gb a month.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wouldn't worry about that, they'll just pitch the plan to you and that's all they can really do. In fact, when I upgraded to my s4 a little over a week ago, the rep didn't even mention the shared data plan.

Erikbal

Reaction score
So you upgraded and signed a new contract and didnt have to change plans? That's cool...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So you upgraded and signed a new contract and didnt have to change plans? That's cool...

Nope, why would I?

The "Share everything" plan is just like any other plan that you have the option to choose. Verizon is just trying to push that one more because of this "smartphone boom" where everyone has one, so it seems to make the most sense. Sure you may save a bit of money, but that comes with too much sacrifice for my family and I. You have every right to upgrade each of your lines individually as I did.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Nope, why would I?

The "Share everything" plan is just like any other plan that you have the option to choose. Verizon is just trying to push that one more because of this "smartphone boom" where everyone has one, so it seems to make the most sense. Sure you may save a bit of money, but that comes with too much sacrifice for my family and I. You have every right to upgrade each of your lines individually as I did.

So to verify, you upgraded and still kept your unlimited plan. That was buying on- or off-contract? I was under the understanding that on-contract upgrades killed your unlimited plan. So I've been saving for either the X-phone or Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So to verify, you upgraded and still kept your unlimited plan. That was buying on- or off-contract? I was under the understanding that on-contract upgrades killed your unlimited plan. So I've been saving for either the X-phone or Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
So we have 4 lines in our family. What I had them do was take my upgrade and activate on another line that was already capped at 2gb. Once activated on that line, the phone was then transferred to my line and I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. This was on contract with a new 2yr agreement which I did in a Verizon store.

You are correct regarding on-contract upgrades killing unlimited data, but that only applies if the phone itself it activated on your specific unlimited data line. If it's activated on another line (dumb phone line or capped 2gb) your line's unlimited data isn't effected.

DDROIDJ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Moto Z Force
So we have 4 lines in our family. What I had them do was take my upgrade and activate on another line that was already capped at 2gb. Once activated on that line, the phone was then transferred to my line and I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. This was on contract with a new 2yr agreement which I did in a Verizon store.

You are correct regarding on-contract upgrades killing unlimited data, but that only applies if the phone itself it activated on your specific unlimited data line. If it's activated on another line (dumb phone line or capped 2gb) your line's unlimited data isn't effected.

I am having a problem following this plan. Could you break this down for the knuckle draggers

So You are saying in order to keep my unlimited plan. I will need to add another line onto my Family plan?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am having a problem following this plan. Could you break this down for the knuckle draggers

So You are saying in order to keep my unlimited plan. I will need to add another line onto my Family plan?

Not sure how I can break it down more simple than that but I'll try.

Again i have 4 lines on my family plan (2 unlimited and 2 capped). I wanted to upgrade my line (unlimited) so what i had the store do was activate the s4 on one of the capped lines. Once it was activated on the capped line the phone was transferred to my line and my unlimited data remained.

Basically what they did was take my eligible upgrade and had it activated on the capped line to keep my unlimited data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

DDROIDJ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Moto Z Force
Thank you. So, if I got this right, I will need too add another phone onto my plan. It will be capped. Use my upgrade for that line. Then transfer that phone to my line at a later date.