Verizon Fios Adds Remote Control by Android Phones

rsg1968

Reaction score
I'm getting the same error also. I called verizon fios about it and they have no clue what to do about it. They had no idea what I was even talking about when I first called. Hopefully someone can figure out what the problem is and post the solution.

rayvincent

Reaction score
This doesn't apply to people who know everything already, but make sure you're connected to your own verizon router for wifi - there's lots of signals out there now, so if there are more than 1 wifi network you're picking up in your area make sure you're logged into the right one, not a neighbors :)

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Yes, make sure Wifi on your phone is turned on, and that you are connected to your verizon router. Unlike the DVR app, this one only works if you are connected to your Verizon Wifi router.

No clue about the network error from the widget on the STB though. Mine worked fine.

jets91090

Reaction score
I can't get the DVR app to work cause it can't find a signal for some reason, it recognizes the DVR but it just stays refresh the whole time and won't record.

rsg1968

Reaction score
Mine finally started working. When I went to my widget on my DVR I didn't get the error message. It works great now. Hopefully everyone else having problems can get theirs working too.

hubdroid

Reaction score
Yep..this is cool. Already have my wife rolling her eyes as I show her I'm controlling the guide with my phone...FYI..I did have to turn phone off and back on for it to start after setting up my phone number on DVR and downloading app. Now working on 3 of my HD DVR's...

hubdroid

Reaction score
you can go directly to a channel by clicking on Keyboard in the lower right once you've clicked "My remote"

brianr0131

Reaction score
For those of you who have not tried this app yet, here's an interesting feature....

You can display photos from your SD card on your Droid up on the TV screen. The audio from the TV program continues. It's really very cool. My wife and kids were very impressed. It'll do slide shows too.

littlej099

Reaction score
I can't get it to work for mine, I am sure it is something I doing wrong but I don't know what it would be. I keep getting "Unable to connect to the Set-Top Box. Please launch the Mobile Remote widget on the TV again and restart the Mobile Remote application on your device." I get it to the point where the widget tells me to sit on the search page, and do the stuff on my phone. That is where everything falls apart. The FiOS DVR app works for me though.

Gonna need a drink before I figure out why I can't get it to work.

Mine worked great for 1 day, but then stopped and now I have this same problem. I have read through this whole thread, and noticed that some are saying you have to use the Verizon-provided router to connect wireless. That was not the case for me. I have an access point connected to my Verizon-provided router and I use that for my wireless connection in my house, and I have the wireless turned off for the Verizon-provided router. And the Mobile Remote app worked fine. It was fun messing with my wife's head from another room.
But the next day I started running into the above problem.
When I launch the "widget bazaar" and click on the Mobile Remote widget icon, I get to a settings menu. How do I actually "launch" the widget?
Again, this worked totally fine for one day and then stopped, and this was while using a 3rd party access point connected via cat5 to the Verizon-issued router with the Verizon router's wireless turned off.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
^^^Have you tried turning on your Verizon Wireless router and configuring it? Just because it worked for a day on your access point doesn't mean it will consistently work that way.

It took me awhile to get this working. I had to unplug my STB and my wireless router, plug them back in, and it finally connected. Then the picture flicking wouldn't work. That required another power cycle of my STB. Now everything works great.

My favorite feature is you can sync your Favorites on the phone. Then you have a page of favorites (icons) of each channel that you can easily switch between. If they could somehow incorporate the built in guide on the FIOS Remote DVR app that would be incredible.

OpalCat

Reaction score
Anyone know how much it costs to upgrade to the HD set top box? I'm going to predict it won't be worth it...

fooey.

littlej099

Reaction score
^^^Have you tried turning on your Verizon Wireless router and configuring it? Just because it worked for a day on your access point doesn't mean it will consistently work that way.

It should though. Electronics don't just randomly "decide" to work or not; they do things for a reason. Unless something is specifically changed, it absolutely should consistently work that way.

I have no plans to use the VZW router, it's nowhere near as good as the AP I use. So I guess I'll try restarting the STB, and if that doesn't work, so be it.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Wh

It should though. Electronics don't just randomly "decide" to work or not; they do things for a reason. Unless something is specifically changed, it absolutely should consistently work that way.

I have no plans to use the VZW router, it's nowhere near as good as the AP I use. So I guess I'll try restarting the STB, and if that doesn't work, so be it.

Just trying to help. I don't need a lesson in electronics. Verizon states it will only work with their router, I'm assuming for a reason. Anyway, good luck.

Shay D. Life

Reaction score
Wasn't working for until I pull the cord out and allowed it to cycle up again. It's actually kinda nice to have for someone of my caliber. Always losing the remote....but I always know where my :motdroidhoriz: is.:)