Verizon email hangs

LouD

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the Verizon email app, and Verizon. Seems to work fine for 8-10 hours, then stops receiving mail. Hitting refresh has the little rotating icon thingie working, but no mail is downloaded. Only cure seems to be shutting down the droid and restarting. Anyone had a similar problem? BTW, I have my server set to hold mail for 48 hours after download, so that ain't the problem.

thanks in advance

VaderRocks

Reaction score
Driod POP3 email hangs

I'm having the same issue also. I have 4 POP3 accounts from many different servers. After I reboot the Droid, email flows. But after an unspecified time, email stops. When I refresh, the circle continues to go around but nothing else happens until I reboot the Driod again.

I have read many posts regarding this issue, but no solutions.

I'm using the native pop3 email client.

Any suggestions would really help.

OP
L

LouD

Reaction score
I'm using the Droid with the client specifically labeled Verizon to access a Verizon account. I'm assuming it's a POP account, the program only needs to have the user name and password input. Today when the email died, the whole machine froze and I had to remove the battery to restart it.
If you have any links to threads about similar problems, perhaps you could post them. I must be searching on the wrong keywords.

OP
L

LouD

Reaction score
Found the threads you mentioned. Didn't see anything specifically for the Verizon Email client. All the server information for Verizon DSL email is pre embedded in it. Do all droids have this, or only newer ones--perhaps an attempt to fix the problem?
This is really a fundamental flaw in the Droid, symptomatic of software/hardware that's not ready for prime time. Workarounds are nice, but you shouldn't have to compromise over basic functionality. And using a Verizon phone to access Verizon email is about as basic as it gets.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's true, email on the droid is broken for many people. I have no experience with the Verizon email app and suggest that you see if you can use K9. You'd need all of the login data from verizon.

However, that wouldn't necessarily solve your problem. I started with the stock "Email" app. It has a few bugs, one of which is that it randomly stops polling pop3 accounts. So, I switched to K9 which has greater functionality...and the same stop polling bug. So anyway, I check out the stock gmail client and it works except that, guess what, it stops syncing with google's servers! The email apps, the OS, the firmware--something was garbage. What should have been completely automated would just quit and then require user intervention.

To temporarily fix the stock app and K9, I would manually refresh or just reboot. The gmail app would require me to go to phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all and delete the gmail storage data. You might want to try this on your Verizon email app.

All temporary fixes until I came across 1 or 2 people suggesting a permanent fix:

DON'T USE WIFI :icon_eek:

And it's worked flawlessly for me for over 3 and a half weeks. Shut off wifi, reboot, and see if your email client works properly. Hopefully 2.1 will fix this. No guarantees but works for me! :icon_ banana:

Don't use an automated task killer or antivirus.

VaderRocks

Reaction score
I'll give it a try.

I'll turn off Wi-Fi today and see what happens. I believe I tried this weeks ago, but I can't remember.

Thanks for your input.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll turn off Wi-Fi today and see what happens. I believe I tried this weeks ago, but I can't remember.

Thanks for your input.

Hope it works for you. Note, I've only tested this with K9. I'm not sure that this'll work with the stock email client.

If you do use wifi, probably a good idea to shut off wifi and reboot when you are done.

Also, at the risk of being overly repetitive: don't use an automated task killer.

jeffn1

Reaction score
I have this exact problem (Samsung F. . . ) with verizon pop. So far the easiest thing to do is turn the phone on and off when it stalls. I would love to find a solution.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
My charter mail would do this with the stock droid email client. I downloaded K9 and everything now works. Stock email client sucks.