Verizon Contract Question

shakobe33

Reaction score
Hey Everybody, I was curious if anybody knew some in depth info about opening a new Verizon account. My girlfriend desperately wants the Incredible but is under contract with Alltel until the 31st of this month (Unfortunately AT&T bought the rights to her phone number so she can't just make the easy transition to Verizon). Since it is so hard to get a hold of an incredible, it would be ideal to at least order one now. Does anybody know if she could open an account, order the phone, but then wait until her Alltel contract is up to activate it in order to keep her old Alltel phone number?

Any light you guys can shed on this situation is GREATLY appreciated!

andrew_ja

Reaction score
From what I understand, your contract will not become active until you receive your phone. I say this because I need to have a data package added to my phone bill, and I was told that this wouldn't start until I got my phone either (I am assuming with "getting" the phone, it is "activating" the phone).

Additionally, if you get on the backorder list, you will not be receiving your phone before the 31st if you order today. I ordered mine on the 9th of this month, and have not received any notification that mine will be shipping out soon; whereas people who ordered it late last month were told they will be getting theirs by the 29th of this month.

Keep in mind that you will have to pay for, at least the phone, outright.

Sorry, I wasn't much help, but just trying to shed at least a little light.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Also, AT&T (or any carrier for that matter)cannot keep anyone from porting their cell number to another carrier. Not sure if you were worried about this or not.

Reaction score
From what I understand, your contract will not become active until you receive your phone. I say this because I need to have a data package added to my phone bill, and I was told that this wouldn't start until I got my phone either (I am assuming with "getting" the phone, it is "activating" the phone).

Additionally, if you get on the backorder list, you will not be receiving your phone before the 31st if you order today. I ordered mine on the 9th of this month, and have not received any notification that mine will be shipping out soon; whereas people who ordered it late last month were told they will be getting theirs by the 29th of this month.

Keep in mind that you will have to pay for, at least the phone, outright.

Sorry, I wasn't much help, but just trying to shed at least a little light.

The contract begins when you activate through *228
Theres no way you can start it early unless you activate ANOTHER phone on that line until you get the new phone. That might not work.

maxnicks

Reaction score
Call Verizon. They'll do anything they can to get your business.

cromo8

Reaction score
actually as a previous verizon rep i know the answer, at any point and time you may do a phone number port, at any lenght of your contract

at the 2nd day or 23rd month doesnt matter, if its not done the day of activation its called an internal port

OP
S

shakobe33

Reaction score
actually as a previous verizon rep i know the answer, at any point and time you may do a phone number port, at any lenght of your contract

at the 2nd day or 23rd month doesnt matter, if its not done the day of activation its called an internal port

So, she could go ahead and open a new account with whatever phone number they give her, then once her contract with Alltel is up she can change the number to her old Alltel number?

That would be fantastic news if true. We tried calling Verizon to confirm and the specific rep I spoke to was of very little help. Hopefully I can find something that confirms this.