Verizon contract question

Alpinestars96

Reaction score
Short version, girlfriend and I split, she is on my family plan . Contract not up til march. What can I do if anything to not pay the early termination fee. She probability will refuse to give the phone back. Help please? You guys/girls are great! Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brandon9559

Reaction score
You can do what is called an assumption of liability, Which basically will release her line to her therefore removing it from your plan and onto a plan of her own. However this is something that she will have to agree to. So if she is playing hard-ball with you then this probably isnt an option. Otherwise I would reccommend putting a basic phone on her line to just sit there for 9.99 per month until the contract runs out. This will help you for multiple reasons. Number one being the phone that she refuses to give back will not be active. Number two it will save you money because when you add the basic phone you can drop all her features (insurance and data etc.)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can do what is called an assumption of liability, Which basically will release her line to her therefore removing it from your plan and onto a plan of her own. However this is something that she will have to agree to. So if she is playing hard-ball with you then this probably isn't an option. Otherwise I would recommend putting a basic phone on her line to just sit there for 9.99 per month until the contract runs out. This will help you for multiple reasons. Number one being the phone that she refuses to give back will not be active. Number two it will save you money because when you add the basic phone you can drop all her features (insurance and data etc.)

This is very good advice. You need to get her out of the loop ASAP.

OP
A

Alpinestars96

Reaction score
But if she refuses to give it back. That's could be claimed as stolen?? Right? Wouldn't she have to physically get another phone for the 9.99 plan? She will not cooperate unfortunately. Lol

brandon9559

Reaction score
But if she refuses to give it back. That's could be claimed as stolen?? Right? Wouldn't she have to physically get another phone for the 9.99 plan? She will not cooperate unfortunately. Lol

I cant predict the results if you go to the police and tell them she stole the phone from you but from a verizon stand-point the options I proposed to you would be about it. I dont understand what you mean about "physically getting another phone for the 9.99 plan"...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

She doesn't have to cooperate. You are the account holder - right? If so just get a used/cheap basic verizon phone and go to a store and get them to activate it with the number she has been using. Her phone will cease to operate. You do have the account setup so only you can make changes to it - right? If not, set that up with Verizon immediately.

brandon9559

Reaction score
She doesn't have to cooperate. You are the account holder - right? If so just get a used/cheap basic verizon phone and go to a store and get them to activate it with the number she has been using. Her phone will cease to operate. You do have the account setup so only you can make changes to it - right? If not, set that up with Verizon immediately.

That is an excellent point..if she is an authorized user on your account the FIRST thing you need to do is remove her from that.

OP
A

Alpinestars96

Reaction score
No I'm saying through verizon, I have insurance.

brandon9559

Reaction score
No I'm saying through verizon, I have insurance.

I see what youre saying...yeah you could do that but you would have to pay a deductible. I guess it depends on what youre trying to accomplish...if you want to keep the line and want the phone back then I guess that would be the way to go. I thought you just didnt want the line anymore and were looking for the cheapest way out.

woelda3000

Reaction score
Tell verizon to turn the phone off . Pay the 9.99 a month till you can get rid of the line otherwise she might just leave you with one hell of a bill. Also change the locks and park your car where you can see it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Heywood

Reaction score
Tell verizon to turn the phone off . Pay the 9.99 a month till you can get rid of the line otherwise she might just leave you with one hell of a bill. Also change the locks and park your car where you can see it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Winner!...girls are evil...don't tell my wife I was here...

OP
A

Alpinestars96

Reaction score
Lol I will call Vzw and go to the $10 plan. Thanks!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would let her know that it's a stolen phone more than $250, which is a felony in most states. That said, the least confrontational way is simply suspending her line and continuing to pay $9.99 per month.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
Did you install one of those apps that locate lost phones by generating loud obnoxious noises/sirens? There are also apps that can remotely record audio/video from lost phones, or track movement of that phone via its GPS.
Or the really neat remote lock and wipe option.
I doubt she'll want to carry that kind of phone around with her ;)
Just saying...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar