Verizon CFO: No rush for tiered data plans

thinknoffcenter

Reaction score
Fios/smartphone bundles would be interesting and nifty IF Fios was offered where I live.

I asked a verizon tech that was in my neighborhood about when we were gonna get fios here, and from what he tells me they are not gonna be expanding the fios network due to the fact that it takes verizon 2 years just to recoup on the cost of installing it to 1 persons home (which is prolly why they lock u into a 2 year contract for it).....can't say he's the most accurate source, but if i owned any kind of business i wouldn't wanna wait 2 years just to recoup the costs spent on 1 household.

anyway, tiered pricing wouldn't bother me, but i would wanna save more than 5 bucks or so a month if i had to go from using like 5-6 gb to only being allowed 2 gb a month, just sayin they should make it worth our while when they do implement it.

otter34

Reaction score
has there been any indication or guess as to how the plan might be tiered? Also, what is considered high volume and what is considered to be "normal" usage.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Talk is talk, no matter where from. The CEO's statement today is not necessarily what they will write for him to announce tiered data plans on the 29th if that plan comes to fruition ...

I'm not saying that they will on that date, we all know it IS coming, and the most plausable is when they activate 4G, but CEO statements to shareholders don't mean a hil of beans to me, all can change in a day. :)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have indicated in the past, as we move to an LTE world and LTE pricing, we will probably look very hard at tiered pricing, and that continues to be our thinking right now. So more to come on that. By the way, I should say that all of our efforts, all of our plans on getting LTE launched in the fourth quarter are on schedule.
As was had previously expected (up until the latest barrage of rumors), Verizon will probably hold off the switch to tiered data pricing while the network runs on 3G. However, when 4G is rolls out in November, that's a whole different ballgame.

Source ZDNet

Hmmmmm..... even the last paragraph is encouraging in a way, at least in theory. To speculate, he says "LTE world and LTE pricing" - from what I get out of that, the LTE data plans will be tiered. It could be that for those who wish to remain on 3G, perhaps we can continue to pay $29.95 a month for unlimited data, and only the 4G users will have different pricing. Of course, at some point, 3G would probably be switched off - but as more folks moved to 4G, the last thing VZW would have to worry about is overload on its 3G network.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have indicated in the past, as we move to an LTE world and LTE pricing, we will probably look very hard at tiered pricing, and that continues to be our thinking right now. So more to come on that. By the way, I should say that all of our efforts, all of our plans on getting LTE launched in the fourth quarter are on schedule.
As was had previously expected (up until the latest barrage of rumors), Verizon will probably hold off the switch to tiered data pricing while the network runs on 3G. However, when 4G is rolls out in November, that's a whole different ballgame.

Source ZDNet

Hmmmmm..... even the last paragraph is encouraging in a way, at least in theory. To speculate, he says "LTE world and LTE pricing" - from what I get out of that, the LTE data plans will be tiered. It could be that for those who wish to remain on 3G, perhaps we can continue to pay $29.95 a month for unlimited data, and only the 4G users will have different pricing. Of course, at some point, 3G would probably be switched off - but as more folks moved to 4G, the last thing VZW would have to worry about is overload on its 3G network.

I aggree there, if that was the plan, teired would come to the new network, but I'm not sighing just yet...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
he tells me they are not gonna be expanding the fios network due to the fact that it takes verizon 2 years just to recoup on the cost of installing it to 1 persons home (which is prolly why they lock u into a 2 year contract for it).....can't say he's the most accurate source, but if i owned any kind of business i wouldn't wanna wait 2 years just to recoup the costs spent on 1 household.

Yeah, I'm not sure he would know. My guess is capital/funding got tight with the markets (they've already spend $23B) and they slowed the rollout, and the tech is just relaying rumors he heard. I did just peruse some rumors, everything from leverage to get statewide franchises to focusing on penetration in existing cities to not wanting to encroach on LTE turf (which makes no sense, it's slower and won't be able to offer hi-def tv).

It takes them 1-yr to recoup the cost of a smartphone with the data plan, so I don't think 2-yrs, if true, is a huge difference.

Also, if it were true, then I'm not sure why they would waive the $50 installation fee on a bundled service and offer a $120 discount the first year of service. Plus, at some $35 a month cheaper for a superior service, none of that makes any sense with taking 2-yrs to recoup cost.