Verizon/Alltel Upgrade Problem

shakobe33

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Long time lurker here, first time poster. First off, I just want to thank everyone for all of the great information I have learned from these forums regarding my Moto Droid.

However, my problem involves my girlfriends difficult quest to acquire an Incredible. She currently is under contract with Alltel which expires on July 31st of this year. Since Verizon purchased Alltel we both assumed it should be fairly easy to upgrade her phone and sign a new two year agreement with Verizon. Unfortunately, after visiting a Verizon store, we were informed that her phone number was not in Verizon's system. They explained how the government would not allow Verizon to purchase all Alltel's numbers as they would be approaching a monopoly. This means that she can not purchase an Incredible at the cheaper rate and keep her old phone number until her contract expires with Alltel.

Verizon said that AT&T purchased her number. We then went to the nearest AT&T and they said she did not exist in her system and that they could not let her out of the contract because they didn't own it yet.

Next we called Verizon customer support and finally got transferred to the "Alltel Division" to try and clear things up. They informed us that she was under contract until the end of the month and she had to honor that contract. They did say that she could go ahead and upgrade through Alltel and recommended the "New" HTC Hero. Apparently if she signed a new contract with Alltel, once the acquisition of Alltel to Verizon was complete, her contract would then be AT&T's. She of course laughed at this idea as we both want Verizon's network.

So my question to you all is, have any of you had this issue? And if so, do you know of a way to be able to upgrade early? My girlfriend's Blackberry Pearl is barely functioning at this point and she desperately needs a new phone.

We are very aware of the Incredible shortages but that leads to my next question. If she does have to wait til the end of the month to purchase a phone, would it be possible to order one online at say Amazon and still get the $150 upgrade price and keep her old phone number if she waits to activate it in the beginning of August? Any help you guys can give is GREATLY appreciated. We are at wits end trying to figure all this out.